The investment thread

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The investment thread

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm

DOW is > 17,000 right now. Do you think it will close there?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Yes, absolutely. Trading volume is always super low near the holiday so I don't see the price moving too much in the next two hours.

God bless the DOW, God bless America, God bless Capitalism.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Looks like we made it!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:03 am

I have made $580 through my investments since November 2013 guys I am riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:24 am

Fantasy Football fund

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:02 am

The graph of the total value of my portfolio took a very cartoon-esque nose dive last week! It reminded me of pretty much every Beatmania III Another chart groove graph.

Still up $400 thanks to dividends and shit but damn

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 am

That's the game.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Welp, looks like I'm in the investment game now as recently I setup an IRA. I have considered a 401k, but the reality is that the return I would get on it would be notably less than my IRA due to how I have set things up unless I can find a really good one. I am coming up with some longterm plans for setting up an effective savings outside of my 401k as well as personally I feel it isn't about how much I make, but rather how much I save.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:42 pm

I have both. The IRA does better than the 401(k), but the employer match on the 401(k) makes it worth it.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I still have to set up a Roth IRA in addition to my other retirement account through work.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Pretax vs post tax makes a big difference when comparing 401k to Roth IRA.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Isn't Roth better for me since I assume I will end retire at a higher tax bracket than I am now?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:42 pm

If you're under the age of 40 and qualify for a ROTH IRA (there's an AGI limitation and also some forms of other retirement accounts can count toward a shared contribution limit), it's very hard to go wrong in the long run with the ROTH. You'll pay more taxes now, but all that growth is tax free. It's great to have BOTH tax deferred and tax free income during retirement, and a ROTH IRA is one of the easiest ways to get that tax free income. If you can't do a ROTH for some reason (and can't "backdoor" it), then a traditional IRA is not a bad idea.

Note that even if you expect to be in a lower tax bracket post retirement than you are now, the ROTH is still probably a good deal. You effectively pay no tax whatsoever on the growth the account sees, which will very likely significantly outpace inflation. If you're over ~40, that may not be the case and you might want to look at using a tax-deferred retirement vehicle like a traditional IRA instead.

Ideally, you'd max out both an IRA and your 401(k) or whatever your employer may offer. At minimum, if you can, take the full employer match on any retirement offering they may have. That's basically free money for you.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 am

MonMotha wrote:Ideally, you'd max out both an IRA and your 401(k) or whatever your employer may offer. At minimum, if you can, take the full employer match on any retirement offering they may have. That's basically free money for you.
That's been my strategy. I put in as much as they'll match every year and call it good.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Ho wrote:
MonMotha wrote:Ideally, you'd max out both an IRA and your 401(k) or whatever your employer may offer. At minimum, if you can, take the full employer match on any retirement offering they may have. That's basically free money for you.
That's been my strategy. I put in as much as they'll match every year and call it good.
If you have other retirement means that you're not capping out on, this can actually be advantageous. Most 401(k) and similar plans offer a pretty crappy assortment of investment options. Lots and lots of fees and little choice in objective/risk. I'm personally fond of SIMPLE IRAs, since the money is 100% yours once its in there and can be managed how you see fit, but they're only available to small employers, and small employers often don't bother with any form of retirement option. The only real thing a 401(k) or similar gets you beyond the employer match is a tax-deferred account that isn't subject to the contribution limits of an IRA.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.