DEXTER KAWAIII: Season 8

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

DEXTER KAWAIII: Season 8

Post by Potter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 am

Thread for Season 8, which premiered 2nite

starting episode now!
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: DEXTER KAWAIII: Season 8

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:12 pm

God DAMN it I wanted to start this thread.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Dexter is not a good show, let's get that on the table front and center. I used to think that Dexter was good television - I'd argue that seasons 1 through 4 were interesting and worth watching but then I discovered Breaking Bad and it is now so, so hard to watch this show. Everything from the formulaic seasons (not episodes) to the horrible suspension disbelief to the literal Deus Ex Machinas I can only assume that the writers are self-aware and they are playing the longest con in TV history to see how much ridiculous shit Showtime and its audience will eat up.

With that being said there is a certain intangible quality of the show that I enjoy. Maybe it's the real life drama between the actors who play Dexter and Debra (who were married IRL), maybe it's the campy B-movie quality of the villains, maybe it's my unquenched yearning to see if the writers can somehow, someway put Doakes back in the show. I don't know if I'm just looking for good .gif opportunities or if I've invested so much time into this show that I have to watch it out of obligation, but I nonetheless am interested to see how this shitshow ends if only so that Michael C. Hall can finally pimp his acting chops on some other show.

In any regard here's a recap of the shit that's been going on the last 7 seasons

* Dexter is a serial killer who's dad told him to kill bad people because the dad didn't feel like parenting his kid and/or was too lazy to show him how to project his adoptive son's impotent white rage constructively. Dexter was adopted, by the way, and like most adopted kids he was found in some shipping crate covered in his bio mom's blood after she was straight-up 187'd by some cholo's over her snitching to the popo. Dexter had a bio brother who he murdered after he attempted to kill Dexter's adoptive sister Debra.

* To support his lifestyle, Dexter works for the worst police department in the world. Miami Metro is, I swear to God, so unbelievably incompetent that Dexter has worked in a God damn police station while moonlighting as a criminal for almost his entire adult life without getting caught. There is sometimes legit tension on whether or not Dexter is going to get caught but after the writers pull the "OMG WILL HE BE CAUGHT?!" schtick on you for the 15th time you kind of laugh it off and huff and puff when no, Dexter does not get caught. Dexter also has Asperger's or something so he can't deal with real ass people so he has to pretend to be normal so he shacks up with some trick named Rita who doesn't want to bone down which is A-OK with Dexter because, again, he's an Aspie.

* Dexter has to kill people. It's not really established why but he has to kill people and that is the driving point for the show. The first couple of seasons make a big fucking deal about every kill Dexter makes but now Dexter has infinite plot-armor and can stab dudes in broad daylight at a public shooting range with people right next to him and not bat an eye.

* Dexter has a kid with Rita (she pulls a 180 and decides it's cool to bone down) and shortly thereafter the writers had no idea where to take the show so they decided to shake things up by having Rita get murdered by the season 4 bad guy. Every season has a bad guy and they are always the special guest star of the season. Sometimes the bad guy is killed in the last episode, sometimes they get killed in the 9th, but the formula is always "New season -> Bad guy gets established -> Bad guy is also a serial killer who steps on Dexter's serial killing turf -> Dexter hulks out and kills bad guy -> Bad guy dies BUT DID DEXTER GET CAUGHT?!?!?!"

* Nothing happens for two seasons after Rita dies. Dexter kills some more people and Dexter meets some people but those people either a) get killed in the season they are in or b) have to go back to their home planet at the last minute because Showtime could not afford the actor to be in the show for another season.

* Debra catches Dexter killing the season 6 bad guy. Instead of being horrified she wants to fuck her adoptive brother but since she's a little bit more of a rational human being she works against her perversions and decides that acting on her sick fucking fuck fantasies would be a bad idea and instead murders her boss because her boss found out that Dexter kills people. This brings us to the current 8th season.

Cliff notes version:

+ Dexter kills people and gets away with it despite every God damn thing in the universe working against him
+ Dexter marries and makes love to a woman named Rita who bears him a son
+ Rita is murdered
+ Dexter handwaves Rita's death off and kills more people
+ Dexter gets caught by his adoptive sister
+ Adoptive sister does not turn Dexter in and decides to protect him
+ Adoptive sister murders a person to protect Dexter

KEEP IN MIND this is literally 7 seasons, 84 hour long episodes, of plot. There are side characters in the show but they have, at best, a tangent relationship to Dexter and they might as fucking well be their own show.

I did watch the first episode of season 8 but I need to go to bed but if I get a chance I'll write my thoughts on it. Just know that Dexter freaking out on the dude who cuts him off in traffic had me laughing my ass off and is definitely one of those moments that makes me compelled to watch the show.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:49 am

yeah, it's not good :/
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:51 am

GIFs? C'mon guys. I want to know what's happening without actually watching the show.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 am

This show is bo but I will applaud the writers for establishing that Dr. Brainlady is the person who told Harry to tell Dexter to kill people in the second episode of this season instead of waiting until episode 10.

Now they just need to establish Dr. Brainlady as the mystery killer next episode but I will bet my bottom dollar they drag this shit out until the penultimate episode.

My prediction is that Deb kills Dexter BTW, they alluded to this in the first season and the writers will want to go the "lol we had this planned from the beginning" route a la Lost because they are not good writers.

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:07 pm

sweet, do i need to watch dexter anymore? i just watched all 7 seasons in that 5 min synopsis!

i've started watching from season 8 and feel pretty up to date now. thx indyDDR

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 am

Please do not watch this show, watch Breaking Bad and/or Game of Thrones instead

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Merk wrote:Please do not watch this show, watch Breaking Bad and/or Game of Thrones instead

if you've seen both and desperately need a show, watch dxtr . otherwise those two

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Tbh i cbf waching dexter from seasons 1-7. that synopsis was good enough. My partner watches it and i surprised her by telling her i knew the story line.

Game of Thrones is good although it got pretty farfetch'd at the end how they portray Jamie Lannister. His supposed to be some slimy, bad ass, dodgy mofo and as of late they make him seem so valiant and righteous. doesn't make sense. meh this might be worthy of another thread.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:40 am

Eh, I think they've established that Jamie is more misunderstood and living under the pressure of the Lanister's tyrannical rule which makes him have to live up to being a "slimy badass mofo." In reality, he's a relatively good guy, as evidenced by his talks with Brienne.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 am

Don't sully the Dexter thread with your elves and wizards.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:26 am

Guys, Jamie Lannister had sex with his sister who in turn produced an incestuous son that they masquerade as the legitimate successor of the late king Robert Baratheon. Keep in mind this son is a real, real shithead and set into motion the whole Stark vs. Lannister thing that the TV show has been about thus far.

Every Lannister is repugnant with the exception of Tyrion who has learned humility because he is a God damn half-man.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:50 pm

I fucking HATE geoffrey lannister what a fucking cuntttttttttt

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Dexter.