Xbox One

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Xbox One

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Dumb name. Let's discuss.

I lost $1 to Brian. I was 719 off.

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Xbox One

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Hey bro, let's watch the new episode of Halo?

No thank bro, the Jets are playing the Cubs and my fantasy team is dope.

lol Jets suck this year... Bing it.

You suck I'm going to dangle my next gen rendered balls on your corpse in Starcraft CoD Ghost.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Nothing really stood out that much. The new controller looks very nice. I don't really care about the TV stuff... maybe if they were offering their own cable service through XBL that was cheaper or let you select the channels you wanted to purchase. I don't really mind the online connectivity, although having to have Kinect plugged in for the Xbox to function seems a little annoying, especially for taking it to other places or tournaments for instance. Lack of backwards compatibility kinda sucks too... better sell my joysticks before they lose value.

The inability to play used games is not exactly a surprise, but kinda a bummer. I honestly haven't really bought many used games at all this generation, but it's definitely an interesting play to hurt Gamestop. I think it's going to backfire in their face, but I'm guessing PS4 will follow suit. If not and PS4 allows for used games, I really think that's going to be a giant factor in people's decisions. Admittedly, it IS interesting if they allow for you to sell your old games on the marketplace or something. From what I gather, they're going to announce something about selling your game's install ownership after you're done. We'll see.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue May 21, 2013 6:02 pm

kekeke

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=SNE

-------------

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

WyomingMyst
Standard
Standard

Post by WyomingMyst » Wed May 22, 2013 4:25 pm

What bothers me the most about it is that there is still repetitive costs and now new costs. XBox Live Gold being the repetitive cost of course. New costs such as users having to pay (up to current MSRP) to install play used game discs on a new console (the only get around is that both consoles have to have the same user log in, but the original console all users can access the game). Also while the voice commands is cool, I can see problems like LOTS of problems, they proved that when reports came in that the current Kinect and Xbox would pause the live broadcast of the event whenever the speaker gave a command during the demo. Funny really but it proves a point. Kinect required. Developers of games can choose to make a game online only or not, and a system that who's capabilities can easily be matched with even half-baked gaming PCs.

XBox series of games and consoles have never sold me for two reasons, 1. being hardware and system that does not stand out and I think this barely missed that mark (the cost of XBox live ALWAYS discouraged me from getting it). 2. The games. Seriously. I am an arcade gamer by flavor, so the classics stand out in my book, along with arcade, rhythm or platforming like games. XBox rarely offers any exclusives that meets my appeal. Sony PlayStation series has LittleBigPlanet, (used to have) the DanceDanceRevolution arcade line of games, and many more. Nintendo is well Nintendo and I expect them to rebound Wii U finally once they get some steam rolling on games. Even then that system is the only of the next generation that is backwards compatible with it's predecessor discs and downloadable content. Granted the Wii U is inferior with graphics and online community features in comparison to PSN or XBox live, but I am okay with that. I am very okay with that. Wii U is a compatible system for ANY household including the wide spectrum of Internet Service Providers, TVs, and other hardware and software obstacles that even my PS3 struggles through.

Right now I am planning on continuing to plan to get a PS4 over XBox One, however of course both companies need to lay down what games I will be able to get before I even invest in any system. Right now I am happy with my Wii U and PS3.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm

There's enough arcade-like stuff on Xbox Live Arcade that makes it a stronger system than PS3 in my opinion (and if you look around there are plenty of ways to get XBL for like 2 bucks a month). However, your XBLA (and I'm assuming PSN) games don't transfer over to One. Kinda sucky.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Microsoft shot itself in the foot with a shotgun. The press that they endorsed are trashing them, their core audience (360 fanboys on Facebook) are responding negatively. I've literally seen one person say anything good about it and his defense was that they will have good exclusives at E3 which there is no proof of, and due to several high-budget games failing HARD to make promises and failing financially and in terms of quality I am taking this with a huge grain of salt.
They are pushing features that have been financially proven there is little interest in.
1) Kinect: Sold poorly, but Microsoft for some reason is squarly focused on giving it to us, so they're FORCING it with the console.
2)Voice Commands: Services like Siri have been marketed on everyone HARD. Everyone knows about Siri, but people stopped using it after it told them where they could hide bodies. Voice commands seem cool 'cause they were in our Sci-Fi shows, but they have existed for a long time now (Google Voice is astoundingly accurate), but NOBODY USES THEM because they are unconventional and create more problems than they're worth.
3) Television: Okay, people already get frustrated enough with their cable boxes so MS thought it was a good idea to make this experience have even MORE hassle. Unless you have the latest Cable/Satellite Box hardware- you won't be able to use most of your features with the Xbox1. Like, uhhh, DVR. Which pretty much everyone still using traditional TV uses now instead of watching it live. The only thing I ever see watched live is news stations and RSS feeds to news sites give you the same shit (usually) minus political pundits.

They also clearly aimed the talk to the tech illiterate. FIVE BILLION TRANSISTORS! Oh, gosh, that SOUNDS impressive! Except you know that will do nothing for the performance of games. 8GB DDR3 of RAM is cool; most of my computers have had the same specs for a while. Except I never excluded 3GB of that just for my OS! Of course I have other things running on it, but that's by my choice! So games are now limited away from that! It is still a step up from the 360.
And the worst part is- they could have probably reached their audience properly. The thing supports DirectX11. No other console does that. Direct X 11 has some really cool features. Like its reflection shaders! I don't think most of the Call of Duty audience has seen real reflections in games before! It would blow their socks off to actually see! Why didn't Microsoft show it?
They will be focusing more on games at E3, I'm sure, but Microsoft managed to not only alienate gamers, but alienate every possible market at the same goddman time. This was the worst press conference I have ever seen and that's saying a lot considering MS's software has failed on stage before. I'm honestly hoping it actually hurts them, though. I'm sick of what Microsoft's done to video games this generation. If they at least drop payments for Xbox Live I will be happy.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

My guess is you'll see a split in the video game community as a whole. We're already seeing a split in casual/Facebook/tablet games compared to traditional games. Next is a split in console games for mainstream dudebros and the more hardcore gamer crowd.

Dudebro can play Halo One and Madden Mans '14 on the XbOne

Dorkotron can play Densetsu Saga -BLUE- and Ico 2 on the PS4.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 23, 2013 2:48 pm

It's already KIND of splintered like that, but I have a feeling there will be more converts going to PS4 this generation. However, Sony is still poised to alienate just as many people since they seem to be on board with the DRM stuff too, though I wonder how much online connectivity you'll have to maintain.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 pm

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=5095

Just a way to gauge the fickle desires of the 14-26 year old gaming community.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Fri May 24, 2013 1:05 pm

It seems like, within discussion, the Wii U has dissipated from existence and the only consoles around are the Xone and PS4.
In other news, Wii U sales on Amazon are skyrocketing.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 pm

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-exte ... ge/0116138

I dunno if this is total BS or not but it'd be pretty dumb if this turns out to be true anyways.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri May 24, 2013 3:04 pm

That won't happen. No way.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri May 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Welp that's one way to kill a system! I doubt it's true though because I refuse to believe any company could be that retarded.