Dexter Thread 2: The 7th Saga

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Dexter Thread 2: The 7th Saga

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am

This is going to be an effort post because last year's thread was fucking awesome. There are going to be lots and lots and lots of spoilers so if you have any interest in watching this show for the love of Christ please skip this thread.

It's that time of year again - The leaves start to change, interceptions become touchdowns, and the best worst show comes back for another season. Indeed, it's time again, it's Dexter time. Tonight's the night and it's going to happen again, and again, for two more seasons.

DEXTER: What the fuck is this show?

Dexter is a show about an extremely handsome young man who works as a dude in forensics at a police station in Miami. The hook of the show is that the protagonist's day-to-day life is a facade to hide the fact that he is a vigilante anti-hero serial killer who lives his life according to a code his foster father instilled in him. Don't get caught, kill those who have killed, kill those who will kill, and kill those who will kill again. The show's main compelling aspect, in my opinion, is Dexter's struggle to balance his killing urges with a normal life and the lengths he will go to keep his alter-ego a secret.

Who are these people?

Dexter - played by Michael C. Hall. The show's titular character. He is introduced to us as a cold, unfeeling sociopath who has little regard for others and only cares about feeding his "Dark Passenger" which is Dexter's internal personification of his urge to kill. As Dexter puts more and more effort into putting on the front of a normal life, he slowly evolves into a more human character who questions his background and the idea that he will always need to kill. Dexter, taking the facade to an extreme, starts a family with his girlfriend turned wife turned corpse Rita and has found true compassion in his son who he swears will never become the monster Dexter has become. The big development last season is that Dexter's foster sister, Debra, catches Dexter in the act of killing his latest victim. He is the Bay Harbor Butcher who the media has called the most heinous serial killer of all time but he was able to successfully frame Doakes as the BHB and remove all suspicion from himself.

Debra - played by Jennifer Carpenter. Dexter's foster sister and co-worker at Miami PD. Dexter confides in her and as he puts it, "If I could have feelings at all, I'd have them for Deb." She is the main person who Dexter wants to protect from his moonlighting which is one of the main pillars of the show. Debra catches Dexter in the act in last season's cliffhanger ending which allegedly will open up the show's end game and (hopefully) create a compelling story arc. She also swears a lot and fucks randos out inevitably end up being serial killers.

Harry Morgan - played by James Remar. Dexter and Deb's dead foster father. He appears to Dexter (in ghost dad form) and sort of acts as a personification of Dexter's internal dialogue. Many fans believe he is the personification of Dexter's dark passenger and is ultimately the cause of Dexter's woes but nothing has been set in stone on the show set.

Aaaaaaaand there are a bunch of other characters we don't care about...

Popo:

Quinn - Another cop in the office. He is suspicious of Dexter and was romantically involved with Deb. He initially played the hard-nosed cop but has sort of been written into a tragic comic relief character.
Batista - Another cop, he initially is written as Dexter's best friend but their interactions in the last few seasons have been sparse at best. If there is a B plot in an episode odds are it involves Batista being pissed off at his ex-wife or his buddy cop partner, Quinn.
Masuka - Dexter's immediate co-worker in the forensics department. The comic relief guy who makes a lot of lewd jokes.
Creepy "Hack Teh Gibson" Intern - A character that was shoe-horned in last season. He joined the popo because (no joke) he wanted to do a field study on serial killers so he could make a video game. He has a shit load of money from some blockbuster video games he made in the past. No one knows if he's a good guy or a bad guy but he seems to have a keen interest in Dexter's past.
LaGuerta - No one likes her because she is a bad person. The less said the better.

Randos:

Harrison - Dexter's infant son. He is a babby that is oh so conveniently brushed aside so Dexter can go kill people.
Batista's sister - She is the babbysitter of Harrison, the little sister of Batista, and is romantically involved with the creepy intern at the popo station.

Dead people:

Rita - The mother of Dexter's child. She was (surprisingly) killed in season 4 by the Trinity Killer due to Dexter's selfish need of killing his victims instead of turning them over to the police.
Brian - Dexter's dead bio bro. He was the main antagonist of the first season. He made a cameo last season as a ghost bro who represented Dexter's darkest dark side of his darkness dark-passengar dark.
Tom Hanks' Son - The main bad guy of season 6. Surprisingly ineffective. He is worth mentioning because he serves as the impetus of Deb finding out Dexter's secret.
Lumen - She is not dead but she might as well be because she will never be mentioned in the show again. She saw Dexter's dark side but fell in love with him because he killed a bunch of people who touched her inappropriately. She went back to her home planet at the very end of season 5.

Doakes

Rest in peace Doakes you were the best part of the show.

Can you sum up each season? I don't want to go through 6 seasons of this shit!

I sure can!

Season 1 - The best season. We get introduced to Dexter and the other characters. Dexter kills some people and lives a bachelor lifestyle who sees his girlfriend, Rita, for convenience. A serial killer dubbed the "Ice Truck Killer" goes on a rampage throughout town and leaves personalized messages for Dexter at the crime scenes. The ITK turns out to be Dexter's brother and Dexter reluctantly kills the one person in the world who understood him.

Season 2 - Divers discovers the remains of Dexter's staggering number of victims and the media goes into a frenzy looking for someone they call the Bay Harbor Butcher. Dexter's relationship with his girlfriend is strained and she pushes him to go into a self-help group where he meets a lady named Lila. Dex and Lila bone down after they each discover that the other person is as broken as they are. Lila turns out to be a stage 5 clinger and when Dexter wants to call it off since he deems her unsafe to keep his secrets she causes all sorts of mayhem in his personal life. Doakes, the best character, figures out that Dexter is the BHB by finding Dexter's collection of blood slides that he keeps of his victims and nearly convinces Dexter to turn himself in. Lila swoops in at the last moment and blows up Doakes and the popo writes Doakes off as the BHB because after they discover the blood slides in Doakes' apartment.

Season 3 - Not a whole lot happens, Dexter befriends a new popo in the office and they quickly become close. Dexter gets caught by his friend killing someone and he uses the alibi that he was protecting his friend. The friend swears to keep Dexter's secret safe and uses their friendship to have Dexter get rid of people he doesn't like. Dexter discovers that his friend killed some innocent person and therefore has to kill his friend. His friend was kind of a dick so Dexter is okay with this. There is also an entire B plot that is incredibly uninteresting involving a serial killer known as "The Skinner" that Dexter effortlessly throws off a balcony during a struggle and kills. Dexter knocks up and marries Rita.

Season 4 - The other best season. Dexter has a family now and finds it too difficult to keep both lifestyles afloat. The serial killer known as the Trinity Killer comes to town and Dexter finds out that Trinity is a lot like Dexter. He tries to get close to Trinity to discover how he balances a family life and a murder life but he quickly discovers that Trinity's family life is hell and that he only keeps his family in check by being an absolute tyrant which Dexter finds repugnant. Dexter kills Trinity but not before Trinity is able to off his last victim. Dexter hides evidence from the popo about who the Trinity Killer is and pays the price for it by giving Trinity enough time and opportunity to kill Rita in a twist ending.

Season 5 - Dexter is distraught over Rita's death and discovers that he can feel emotions to those he cares for. That story arc lasts about two episodes before Dexter goes back to killing people. He kills a dude but is caught in the act by a woman who was trapped in the dude's attic. He tracks the woman down but discovers that she's been abused for weeks by a gang of 5 friends who go around town raping women, murdering them, and then dumping their bodies in a swamp. He feels sorry for the woman, Lumen, but is wary that she'll out him as a killer. Dexter decides to make the most of it by pledging to kill the five dudes and Lumen is cool with that. Dexter and Lumen fall in lurve but it is a false love as she loses all feelings for him after the Rape Force Five is killed and she gets written off the show. We also get blue-balled at the end by Debra almost walking in on Dexter killing the final boss.

Season 6 - Don't watch this shit. Debra, in a cliffhanger ending, finally catches Dexter killing someone firsthand. Literally nothing else that happened in this season is significant in any way regarding character development.

What's going on in season 7?

Good question! There's not a whole lot we really know about how the story is going to play out from here now that the cat is out of the bag but we do know a few things:

- Deb catches Dexter and does not immediately murder him or turn him in
- There is either an A plot or a B plot involving the Russian mob
- Deb finds Dexter's blood slides
- Creepy Intern has it out for Dexter
- The Bay Harbor Butcher plot is re-opened
- Season 7 and 8 are going to tie in to each other and season 8 will be the final season
- The producers know how the show is going to end but they haven't written the details yet

Season 7 premiers this Sunday, the 30th! Get your streams ready muthafuckas!

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Dexter Thread 2: The 7th Saga

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Preview text. Spoilers below.

"Oh God."

The words clang like old bells in the deathly stillness of the old church. My dark passenger screams silently, enraged by this interruption at the culmination of its desires. The serenity that flowed from our ritual is shattered and my giddy euphoria evaporates leaving me reeling, shell-shocked by the loss. Our dark fantasy, played out so many times before, has morphed into the one thing I have dreaded most since our journey began.

Deb has found me. Deb has seen me.

Stupefied, I can't move. Neither of us are breathing. I don't have to look down to know that Travis isn't breathing, but his lack of respiration is hardly surprising considering the eight inch blade I deftly slipped between his ribs. In the silken depths my dark passenger preens midnight feathers, proud of a job well done.

Unmoving and unblinking, Deb is transfixed by my gruesome tableaux, her face branded with incoherent horror. Standing over Travis' slowly cooling corpse, gripping the hilt protruding from his chest, I realise that to her I must seem like the hellspawn beast from Travis' last painting. Dear demonic Dexter - brother and butcher. I have no desire to traumatise my poor sister further; so whether stupefied, or just plain stupid, I pull the blade free. The slick wet sound as it leaves its fleshy sheath is deafening in the silence and the sight of the bloodied blade breaks the spell that had held her immobile.

All hell breaks loose.

A choking noise dragged itself from Deb's unwilling throat as she collapsed bonelessly to the cold stones. Back pressed against the wall, she drew up her legs and wrapped her arms around them, white knuckled hands gripping her knees as though trying to hold herself together. I could only surmise that it didn't work as she began keening, lamenting the myriad betrayals she has been forced to endure. My humiliation at being discovered, in flagrante, is rapidly replaced with the nauseating knowledge that my own deception cut her the deepest; indomitable Deb finally conquered by none other than duplicitous Dexter. Amplified by the ecclesiastical acoustics her wailing all but drowns out the sound of the knife, which I had been clutching like a gory talisman, slip from my nerveless fingers and clatter to the floor.

A few quick paces covered the space between us and I squatted beside her, desperate to lessen her pain. I cupped her face in my hands; she was conscious but non-responsive. Impotent in my shame, all I can do is say her name, like a mantra, over and over.

Aeons passed before she began to respond and her eyes focussed on me. I chanced a half-smile but my hopes she had calmed are shattered when she pushes herself to her knees and begins flailing at me. Impassioned but ineffective her hands flapped around me like angry birds and my dark passenger ruffled its own feathers, aroused by the onslaught. Forced to raise my arms to shield my head, it was not her the barrage of blows which bothered me, it was her language; or rather, the lack thereof. Her blows acted as staccato punctuation as she abused and accused me, but in everything she said there was a most un-Deblike absence of obscenity.

That was when I really started to worry.

Concern for my sister precluded a gentle response and I grabbed her wrists to control her, well aware that that my grip would leave bruises. The modest pain was enough to distract her from her vitriol and after one last desperate attempt to get free she ssubsided. Tears streamed over her cheeks, and the eyes that stared back at me were wild, bordering on feral.

Then she kissed me.

The shock literally knocked me literally and figuratively on my arse. Deb followed me down and all I could taste was salt and desperation. My back slammed against the flagstones, knocking the wind from me and she straddled me, hips grinding, lips trailing fire over my face and neck. She wrenched her arms free from my flaccid grip and shredded my shirt, clawed hands scoring red welts across my chest. Flustered, my dark passenger's sable claws glinted in the dark as it stretched and flexed in hopeful preparation. Mind reeling, it took me longer than it should have to react to her offensive. Her tongue was flicking over my nipple before I finally managed to motivate myself to grab her shoulders and push her an arms length away.

She hovered above me, expression as fragile as blown glass.

There was only one thing I could say, "Oh God..."

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm

Pretty sure that that is 100% fake since we've already seen the first two minutes of the first episode. Where did you copy/paste that from?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 pm

A well respected member of the fanfic community.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:45 pm

OI! SHE KNOCKED ME ON ME ARSE! BLIMEY!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Behind the scenes preview of the 7th season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckWyhv3YsO4

Fuuuuuuuuck this show for making this season look good. My dick wants to believe that this season is going to be the best thing ever but my mind knows that they will somehow, someway fuck this up. It seems like all the bullshit loose ends that were never even acknowledged in season 6 will actually get addressed and the popo won't go full retard.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:26 am

I'm really looking forward to a clash between Dexter and Deb. We've seen him snap when backed into a corner, but those people weren't his friends or family.

Harry's Code:

1. Don't get caught.
2. Killing must serve a purpose, otherwise it's just plain murder.
3. Be sure.
4. Blend in -- maintain appearances.
5. Control urges, and channel them.

If the code is broken, will he abandon his reserve? What happens to the person who loses the risk of consequence?

Prediction:

Season 7: Shit hits the fan. Deb, having figured it all out, gives Dexter a chance to run in exchange for Harrison. Dexter, in desperation, is forced to take haven with Louis who has also figured everything out but for motivations unknown doesn't turn him in.

Season 8: Louis's backstory reveals that he has a super-villain's motivation to kill everyone in Miami Metro. Through some horribly complicated chain of events, Dexter is forced to become subject to a manhunt from Miami Metro while trying to stop Louis.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:25 am

I have a feeling, just a feeling, that they are going to delve deep into the "OMG Deb found out" story arc for the first two episodes, then they will forget about it for the next nine episodes because they have to chase the "Moscow Manslaughterer," and then they'll bring it back up in the last fifteen minutes of the season finale.

Either that or Deb dies this season trying to save Dexter who pisses off the Russian mob for killing one of their head honchos (at the behest of Deb).

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:05 pm

◔̯◔

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm positive that Deb is dying this season, just saying, it would be the ultimate lead up to this show's denouement and final season.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am

Episode 1 on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S4Cn7xeiUY

For all you insomniacs out there!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:56 am

This episode was really, really good. I'll make an effort post in a bit (I do have to work today lololol) but my initial thoughts were that this was *the* episode of Dexter that would make or break the show and they were able to pull it off with flying colors. They have gotten me super excited for next week and although I don't want to jinx it, I really do think that this is going to be an incredible season. The formula has finally been shaken up and I feel like this show can finally be compelling again - it only took one and a half fucking years.

Why? Why the fuck could this not have been Season 6?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:24 am

When did you watch it?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am

Last night, I didn't fall asleep until 1:00am lololololol

Hence the timestamp on my Youtube post.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:26 am

This thread has not had a Potter post yet, what the fuck?!?!?