Tablets

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Tablets

Post by ImuyumI » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 am

Does anyone own a tablet here? Investigating whether or not to get one and what I should get if I do decide to get one.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Tablets

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 am

How often do you need to be connected to the internet?

What would you need a tablet for?

What benefits would you get from a tablet that a laptop could not do?

Keep in mind a tablet is more or less a glorified smartphone. With that being said you can probably just go with a Nexus 7 and watch all the Youtubes and play all the Angry Birds.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:43 am

You need an iPad to play jukebeat. :)

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Ho wrote:You need an iPad to play jukebeat. :)
Sold.

Yeah, I probably don't need it more than just fooling around on wireless internets and whatnot. I don't own a smartphone, so I thought, rather than invest in one, just buying a tablet. I'm going to head to some shops and toy around with them and see if it'll be a wise investment, see what all I can do with them.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:07 pm

ImuyumI wrote:
Ho wrote:You need an iPad to play jukebeat. :)
Sold.

Yeah, I probably don't need it more than just fooling around on wireless internets and whatnot. I don't own a smartphone, so I thought, rather than invest in one, just buying a tablet. I'm going to head to some shops and toy around with them and see if it'll be a wise investment, see what all I can do with them.
I bought one of the previous generation Xoom tablets (32gb) new for just over $300. If you don't mind refurbished, you can get older models for much cheaper than newer models. The price drop in previous vs current gen is pretty substantial.

http://www.icemonkey.com/motorola-xoom- ... omb-tablet

It doesn't look as pretty and weighs a bit more, but otherwise performs just fine. If you want games, iOS get's you a much larger library. If you want general reading, browsing, and other common laptop stuff, I prefer Android.

You can also get crazy off-brand Android devices for cheap. I'd avoid Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 on size alone. They're too small to be useful for typing and browsing, but still too big to fit in a pocket.

Are you going to get a data plan or just stick with WiFi? What's your budget? Do you like Apple products (iTunes/Quicktime) or Google products (Chrome, Gmail, Google Docs?)

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:01 am

I'm about to pick up an ASUS tf101 for dev/playing purposes. You can get them for ~$200 on ebay

10.1" screen, wifi, gps, bluetooth, dual core, etc etc etc. Android is nice because you can do some REALLY cool stuff with it. Anything you can think of, really. It's gotten to the point where when I use a friends IOS device, I silently lol at how little it lets you change anything, experiment and tinker. the niche app selection is horrible. On the android market, there's not one, but FOUR apps that let me use my android device to remote control a not very popular piece of software I use on my PC. In the itunes market, there's not one. I've found that to be the case with a lot of apps I take for granted on the android platform

As for games, almost all of the big ones are on Android by now

http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-3rd-gen-h ... -19218955/
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 am

I agree with everything but the games part. Only the most popular games have been ported to Android. iOS still leads the gaming market. Then again, iOS games are boring Farmville clones for a casual audience. Get an Android.

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 am

Well, after playing around with quite a few of them last night, I did like the Ipad & Nexus 7 the best. Right now, I'm treating it more as getting a new toy than anything else. Maybe next time I'll look at each item objectively as opposed to thinking if I should rig each tablet to play PSY's Gangnam Style or Nyan Cat when the tablet starts up.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I have had an Asus Transformer (TF101) for a while and I can say I definitely love it. I am jelly of jubeat and reflec beat on iOS, though.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:04 am

Pokebis wrote:I have had an Asus Transformer (TF101) for a while and I can say I definitely love it. I am jelly of jubeat and reflec beat on iOS, though.

really!? If you caught my post I'm about to pick one up for tinkering purposes. I'd love to chat/ask a couple questions, do you have a facebook?
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:I agree with everything but the games part. Only the most popular games have been ported to Android. iOS still leads the gaming market. Then again, iOS games are boring Farmville clones for a casual audience. Get an Android.
I actually have to disagree with iOS games being boring as we have seen many Cave shmups released on the platform along with the release of jubeat/jukebeat and DJ Max Mobile coming out soon.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:43 am

I saw DJ Max Ray on the iOS and it just seemed like the Tap Sonic program that was already released. Nice to have a few new songs (Phoenix Virus!!!!!), but it still hasn't pushed me to buying an iPad.

On that note, still haven't gotten a tablet yet. Unless an awesome deal comes around, probably going to hold my money til Black Friday when tablets will be OMG!!!! WE HAVE LOW PRICES!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT ONE!!!! in the adverts.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:45 pm

finally got a tf101 in brand new condition for $220 on ebay.

Got here a couple days ago, loving itttt. Maybe it's because I'm an android nerd, but you can do so muchhh

http://i.imgur.com/xnVC0.jpg

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 pm

but can it play angry birds

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:00 pm

was playing it with a friend last night actually

Have I mentioned on Android angry birds is free?