Current events

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Current events

Post by Merk » Tue May 19, 2015 12:41 pm

I eventually got pretty skinny when I lived in Fort Wayne

COINCIDENCE?!?!?!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue May 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Merk wrote:Guys....

Am I fat because I live in Indy?
Maybe?
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 19, 2015 1:40 pm

We can afford to get fat in Indy.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 am

I am upset about the blind worship of the military in this country but I am too much of a coward to state my beliefs in public so I post about it on this message board.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue May 26, 2015 10:45 am

Merk wrote:I am upset about the blind worship of the military in this country but I am too much of a coward to state my beliefs in public so I post about it on this message board.
The topic is a rather difficult one to navigate given the political quagmires that have taken place with many modern conflicts which is understandable. The reality is that the titles of Solder, Sailor, Airman, and Marine do not reveal a person's character. During my time in service, I have served with individuals who have great character. At the same time, I have served with quite a few scumbags who deserve to be forced to low-crawl through filth for miles for their poor actions. In addition, there are conflicts that were started not by the military, but by politicians which have muddied things further. Thus I think that those who do serve the right way deserve respect, but those who are conducting themselves poorly need to be called out.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am

I will state up front that, for the most part, I don't really understand the military.

My layperson assessment is that our cultural reverence for our service men and women is linked to the idea that, since we have a voluntary service, they have made a commitment and sacrifice of themselves to our country by making the decision to serve. This seems very patriotic...and we all know how much America (as a country) loves patriotism!

But, much like Amp notes, there are different types in any group. I have definitely known soldiers who chose that path out of love for their country and true patriotic feelings. But I have known more soldiers who chose that path because "it was a job."

I'm not making a critical judgement against the latter group of people. These are jobs that need to be done and I'm sure many of those people are very good at them. But I do feel like there's a difference between a person who wants to "fight and die" for his/her country and one who simply wants to work for it...or even simply wants to work at all.

I would be curious how public perception of soldiers may have been different historically--particularly in times when the draft was invoked. I would think that being forced to serve would create a whole different dynamic. At the very least, I'm sure it resulted in many more people serving who would not have made the choice to serve for either of my above reasons on their own.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 26, 2015 12:39 pm

The history books seem to indicate that people were really pissed off during the Vietnam draft and that people were generally okay with the WW2 draft since no one was working and everyone wanted to stick it to the Nihongos.

Of course those were drastically different eras and drastically different wars. I don't think Amurica would ever have to institute the draft ever again but if it did then people would be really pissed off and dodge the fuck out of the draft. #dodgin #OhCanada

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue May 26, 2015 2:52 pm

I just don't really get the notion that people are really serving to "protect our country." I think a lot of the military reverence comes the WW2 days when social media/constant FOX news 24/7 info-tainment didn't exist and it was pretty much a common sentiment that we should go to war. As time went on and people got more information, support for wars has continuously gone downhill. The sentiment that we have people in Iraq/Afghanistan/etc. to "protect us at home" seems kind of disingenuous, but it sounds nice and perpetuates the war machine (which is also very political... the types of people that are hyper-conservative are also usually the ones that are hyper-patriotic).

I dunno.... I mean I respect people that go and fight, but I just don't think at this point in our world affairs it's really to "protect" the USA. To protect (read: implement) American ideals elsewhere, maybe.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue May 26, 2015 3:04 pm

There's a truck on my block with this bumper sticker on it (in a slightly different format.) Saying something bad about those who served will get you murdered in parts of this country. It might be our greatest taboo.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Image
There's a truck on my block with this bumper sticker on it (in a slightly different format.) Saying something bad about those who served will get you murdered in parts of this country. It might be our greatest taboo.
The reality is that those parts of the country are the most hypocritical by nature. In their eyes if you speak negatively about the troops you aren't American and you shouldn't be allowed to serve if you are gay or an atheist. I find this rather hilarious since most of the people spouting this are either too old, too far out of shape, too stupid to get an AFQT score of at least 31, or have some bullshit excuse for not joining.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:20 am

I'm not sure I'll be able to mow my lawn this summer if this rain keeps up.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 am

I was feeling the same way, but I went ahead and did it last night. It was still a bit wet, but I made it through. It was getting to the point that I was worried I'd need Brandon's brush mower if I let it go much longer. :P

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

I think that mower laughs at your PUNY LAWN!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy