Build/Buy Campater

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Build/Buy Campater

Post by Potter » Wed May 02, 2012 11:40 am

1. download the official legit w7 x64 ultimate iso from microsoft themselves

2.once installed, run this nifty little one time program and click "activate" - http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... nformation

3. enjoy having a completely legitimate and genuine copy of windows
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 am

Riot please do what Potter just posted, it would be a big help!

I can't believe I am buying a $450 machine that I will be using solely so I can play Diablo III at my girlfriend's place in Bloomington.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 03, 2012 5:08 am

Just get a key however you were going to and message me it and I can just format using my disk. I don't really understand that. How do I download and install that before I even format with the os and have to put in the key? Do I install and run ob my computer normally before reformat? Bleh. Just message me a key!

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 03, 2012 6:22 am

When you initially install an OS Microsoft has no way of verifying if your key is legit or not (since it's not connected to the internet or anything) so the CD key that's on your little CD case is derived from some algorithm that Microsoft uses for all CD keys. The Windows 7 installer just runs the key you enter during the install process against the algorithm and if it works then it continues with the installation process. If I knew the algorithm I could literally just make up a key and it would work. It isn't until you try to activate Windows after installing the OS that Microsoft checks your CD key to see if it's legit, if it's not then after 30 days or something Windows doesn't let any user account log in.

What I imagine this programs does is it sends a bogus CD key to Microsoft which by some black magic computer mumbo jumbo appears as legitimate to Microsoft which changes some registry entries on your computer to let you get Microsoft updates and shit.

Besides, you can install Windows on multiple computers and it'll be ok. Think about it, what if your computer blows up and you need to buy a new one and install Windows on it? If you could only install Windows once you would have a lot of really fucking pissed off people.

Just have Kevin install it on your machine after reformatting it if you are a babby.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu May 03, 2012 7:14 am

this is really simple

1. install w7 x64 ultimate with your ethernet cable unplugged, using one of the 9000 keys out there when it asks for one, here's just a couple

removed: just download the link I posted, in the zip there is a keys.ini. Open that and scroll down to windows ultimate serials, any of them will work just fine. The activator changes the key to the correct one automatically anyway. Use one of these during installation

2. once it's installed and you boot into it, run that exe, click activate.

3. plug in ethernet, run automatic updates, enjoy genuine windows

I've lost track of how many computers I've done this with flawlessly

To the mod that's about to delete this: microsoft doesn't give a flying fuck
Last edited by Potter on Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 am

Merk wrote:What I imagine this programs does is it sends a bogus CD key to Microsoft which by some black magic computer mumbo jumbo appears as legitimate to Microsoft which changes some registry entries on your computer to let you get Microsoft updates and shit.
it changes the key you used upon installation to the correct one if it wasn't already, then injects a cert based on your hardware and key so when MS looks at the installation, it has a 100% genuine cert, it's foolproof, flawless, and takes literally 30 seconds

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Got new putes up and running. I just used my existing cd and key and activated online. I didn't reformat or do anything to old computer aside from removing a hdd which was a hassle. You can do what you want about reformatting or not, but I would since I haven't in awhile. You can use the windows tool here and my cd if you need.

So far nothing has blown up and it's super snappy. Gonna run some benchmark stuff and mess with some reasonable overclocks soon.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Dunno if my CPU temps are too high. My friend and I kind of fumbled the heatsink/paste installation a bit... like put on paste, tried to screw down heatsink, screws didn't fit so we pulled it up and tried two more times, so paste maybe got smooshed. Plus I think I used too much. It is a 2500k currently overclocked to 4.0ghz and I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ heatsink.

So yeah, it's idling at like 38c, and during an hour of Prime95 stress testing the cores were around 69-76, the max being 80 for a split second. I've never reseated a heatsink and cleaned/reapplied paste, so I'm kinda nervous... opinions?

edit: My upstairs room IS however pretty damn hot and stuffy since it has skylights and heat rises up here. Plus it's currently wedged in between desk and couch so big side fan only has about 4 inches between case and couch. I'm gonna try to rearrange and move it to the other side so it's exposed to the open room and work on an air conditioning solution for the room maybe (or need some suggestions for stuff to put over skylights like darkening shades), but dunno how much moving it around will help.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat May 05, 2012 1:38 am

if you think you used too much, you definitely did. you barely need any for proper application. Reseat that shit

80 is intels limit for physically safe cpu temperature before it throttles the chip, you're shortening the lifespan at that point

75 at the very highest point in a benchmark would be fine, just reseatttt

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Yeah, I'll definitely think about it. I moved it around and it's a bit cooler today, and it's at between 35-38 when I'm just streaming a fighting game tourney online/web browsing. That doesn't seem too bad considering it's OC'd to 4ghz, even though this proc can go more easily. After 45 minutes testing CS:S and Deus Ex:Human Revolution, the max any core got was 56. If it gets to 65-70 under game situations that I'll be playing a lot for extended periods of time like Diablo 3 or something, then I'll reseat but I might leave it alone for now. DUNNO

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 07, 2012 9:01 am

Not gonna lie I really like the progression of this thread and I want Riot to post more about his campater

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

These are mah temps. There's usually a 3-6 degree difference between a few cores (and they fluctuate up and down +/- 3-4 every few seconds, which I assume is kind of normal, but I also could take to mean that the heatsink isn't toooootally even. I mean looking in, it is a tiny bit crooked. But yeah, I also don't wanna be overly picky and worried because nothing so far has made it seem dangerous. I'm very anal about this stuff but I'm equally worried and nervous and baby stuff like reseating everything, cleaning off old paste, etc. I think that I will try to get off the heatsink, the CPU will be stuck to it via the paste, I will break something, I won't be able to clean paste off and somehow I'll bend a pin or something, and my computer will be broken. Woe is me.

Look at dat sexy GPU temp though. Mmmm boy.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Any post where Riot brags about something is hilarious IMO.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon May 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Excuse me I am not bragging sir. I have many other things to potentially brag about aside from being curious about processor temperatures!

^ yes I am bragging about not bragging

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Riot and I are going to order my parts this weekend. If anything goes wrong in assembly, I'm going to have Potter come over and fix it for me.