home ddr advice?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

ChuckNades
Beginner
Beginner

home ddr advice?

Post by ChuckNades » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Recently getting back into this after close to 5 years of not playing.

I already posted in the trading forums to see if someone had a cobalt flux they would like to sell.

What do you guys play on at home?

The arcade isn't currently an option for me due to work, and having a baby on the way.

Fluffyumpkins

Re: home ddr advice?

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:14 pm

PC + Stepmania (open source DDR emulator) is the way to go. There are song packs that can be found on other sites (www.bemanistyle.com) with custom charts. You can even find packs of charts if you poke around enough.

Otherwise console games are your option.

ChuckNades
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ChuckNades » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Heh, I have stepmania up and running. I am asking more about what kind of hardware are you guys using. Cobalt flux pads don't seem to exist online anymore. Most of what I have seen is $250+.

I assume very few play on soft pads because they are awful and always have been (with a few exceptions) unless you play on beginner.

Does anyone use something custom built? I am very much looking into this.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:22 pm

I used to have a CF + Stepmania setup. That worked really well for a few years. That'd would be my recommendation short of actually buying a DDR machine.

ChuckNades
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ChuckNades » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:26 pm

If my credit card limit was just slightly higher I swear I would buy a cabinet NOW. haha

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:08 am

These days, custom built is the way to go because Cobalt Flux went out of business and the remaining manufacturers are either iffy or too expensive.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I have a dirt cheap soft pad I got from eBay that I have wrapped over with plastic onto a large slab of wood.
It hurts my feet to use.

ShawnS
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ShawnS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:25 pm

In an odd twist of events, my modded Xbox 1 wound up being the prime place for us to play a custom version of Stepmania. A PC would be ideal but we just use the Xbox Pump it Up soft pads and I've never found any reliable way to make them work on a PC. Our Stepmania is pretty jam-packed with almost all the DDR and Pump I ever want to play. And that's my story.