Building Computer

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Building Computer

Post by MonMotha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:48 pm

Poorly accelerated :) And only on Windows, but then that's probably all anybody cares about anymore. Given how badly it STILL performs, I have to wonder wtf is up with it. The modern embedded CPUs (e.g. Atom with appropriate companion video) can play 1080p h.264 extended profile with essentially no CPU usage aside from audio and container decode. Flash still chokes on most of those setups.

Flash is looking more and more dead as a web platform. Nobody uses it for old style scripted animations, anymore, and the "all flash websites" are also disappearing (good riddance). The only thing left that people use it much for is full motion video, and it's not particularly good at that. Combine that with the official discontinuation of it on mobile platforms, and I'm guessing it'll be effectively gone from the Web within a few years. Good riddance.

Then again, I abandoned Flash years ago...before it was even popular as a video plugin. Heck, I'm not sure I ever really "adopted" it in earnest. I got tired of the excessive memory usage, constant browser crashes, and daily security flaws. I don't think I've even touched the thing in something like 5 years.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 pm

My experiences with GPU acceleration for it have been mostly positive even though it is obviously not as good as a proper video player, but I may have just been lucky in that respect. It is apparent that you are kind of missing my point MonMotha, but then again I'm not surprised.

I will be honest though and say that since 2005, I have been wishing for the demise of Flash. When Adobe bought Macromedia, it became one of it's many abusive proprietary standards which made me turn on the format completely. We may be a step closer to its demise with the discontinuation of the mobile flash player, I know that Adobe will still whore it out to an extent that would make Sega's usage of Sonic The Hedgehog prior to 2010 look classy by comparison. While I am interested in seeing the Unreal Engine 3 stuff and the possibility that Flash may try to get better finally due to the new competition, I will also state that I can't help but think that flash may add another layer that would make games slower compared to other APIs given my experiences with ActionScript.

Edit: Wow, just looked at the flash version of Angry Birds and well it looks like Adobe was making more promises they could fulfill. Seriously, there's a part of me that loved flash back in the day cause it was responsible for several awesome things happening. (Newgrounds being one of them.) What I saw though was pretty sad.
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

this thread is hilarious btw

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Riot wrote:this thread is hilarious btw
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Mike just look at my post and buy that computer.

OR

Look at the first post and replace the SSD with a regular ol' cheapo hard drive.

Problem fucking solved. Close thread.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 pm

yup. you don't need a video card for web browsing. I don't care if that involves flash or not. Especially with any processor made in the last couple of years. save money, build computa
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:45 pm

:D

hey another question (for a different pc that I'll probably use freenas on):

If I pick a mini-itx motherboard, can I put it in a Micro ATX case and use an ATX powersupply on it?

I picked that case/powersupply because they have four 3.5 sata bays/connectors.

I was thinking about RAID 5 briefly but decided freenas's backup would be a lot easier/cheaper.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 pm

As long as the pin configuration on the power supply matches whatever pin configuration is on the motherboard then you should be fine. I have no idea if that power supply will fit nicely in that case but if the dimensions listed on that site are anything to go by then it will physically fit at the very least. Cases that I have dealt with have the motherboard screw holes in such a way where you can put either a mini-atx or standard atx motherboard in it with no problem so that's shouldn't be an issue. As always, check the specs, caveat emptor and all that shit.

HOWEVER, it looks like that particular mobo will not work with that case though. That case only supports Flex ATX and Micro ATX motherboards and the motherboard you linked is a Mini-ATX board which is too big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlexATX

You'll have to get a bigger case my man.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:25 pm

The mobo he linked is mini-ITX, not mini-ATX. Mini-ITX is actually smaller that micro-ATX. I don't remember if the mounting holes on mini-ITX are compatible with the various ATX specs or not. Probably, but check.

The power connectors are your bog standard 24+4 pin ATX. They'll work with any power supply made in the past ~10 years since they're usually so low power. You can get nice little DC-DC supplies that use a 12V brick. They're usually fanless.

If you're going to go with those low power APU boards, why not get one without a fan? There's several options, and then you've got no moving parts other than your hard drives. You can get stuff cheaper, too. Also look at Atoms.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813186212 is one I've used, but it only has 2 SATA connections which may or may not be enough for your NAS application.
Do you really need 4 hard drives? You're looking at 9TB of storage in RAID5 that way (3TB drives are about the same price per GB as 2TB, so you might as well go for the 3s). That's a LOT of pr0n... If you need less space, I'd be inclined to say use fewer drives but big ones still. Fewer points of failure and easier config that way.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.