Top 5 Classic Arcade Games

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Top 5 Classic Arcade Games

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:15 pm

List your top 5 classic arcade games prior to the year 1990. Let's leave rhythm games out, since we obviously enjoy those.

1. Marble Madness
2. Galaga
3. Star Wars (the vector one)
4. Ms. Pac-Man
5. Mario Bros.

Honorable mention to ITG.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Top 5 Arcade Games

Post by Ho » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:List your top 5 classic arcade games prior to the year 1990. Let's leave rhythm games out, since we obviously enjoy those.
Doesn't "prior to the year 1990" generally leave rhythm games out anyway?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Ho wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:List your top 5 classic arcade games prior to the year 1990. Let's leave rhythm games out, since we obviously enjoy those.
Doesn't "prior to the year 1990" generally leave rhythm games out anyway?
Probably, but there might have been an exception I wasn't aware of. I am very dumb, you see.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm

You should rename the title to include the word "classic" since we're dealing with 20 year old games here.

1. Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man
2. SiniStar
3. Robotron
4. Dig Dug
5. Bubble Bobble

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Merk wrote:You should rename the title to include the word "classic" since we're dealing with 20 year old games here.

1. Pac-Man / Ms. Pac-Man
2. SiniStar
3. Robotron
4. Dig Dug
5. Bubble Bobble
Nice selection. Sinistar had a really awkward control scheme, but did a fantastic job of instilling fear in my soul. Robotron was ok, and paved the way for twinstick shooters. Dig Dug was ok. I liked Mr. Do better. Bubble Bobble should've made my list. Awesome game.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Should tier list arcade games in the tierlist thread?

What a great fucking thread that is, Imma pay it a visit.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 pm

Merk wrote:You should rename the title to include the word "classic" since we're dealing with 20 year old games here.
As a point of reference, the American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot in Laconia, NH (where Chad, Adrian, and I went in 2009 and Belinda and I returned this year) cuts off their collection at 1987.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks for the mention :)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Ho wrote:
As a point of reference, the American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot in Laconia, NH (where Chad, Adrian, and I went in 2009 and Belinda and I returned this year) cuts off their collection at 1987.
I remember them having games like Forgotten Worlds, Smash TV (though that was donated), Hard Drivin', Toobin', MERCS, and a few others from '88 and later, but their list is primarily 1987 and earlier.

In looking through the list, I think '86-'88 were the best years. Share your top 5!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:40 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Ho wrote:
I remember them having games like Forgotten Worlds, Smash TV (though that was donated), Hard Drivin', Toobin', MERCS, and a few others from '88 and later, but their list is primarily 1987 and earlier.

In looking through the list, I think '86-'88 were the best years. Share your top 5!
I'm just sharing what I had read about the museum. The 1987 cutoff was apparently related to the appearance of fighting games. However, they added a Neo-Geo cabinet this year which both debuted after 1987 AND features many fighting games. So it's apparently not a hard rule or they have rescinded it. (Note: The Neo-Geo machine was featured in this video and then donated to the museum.)

I'd have to give some thought to my Top 5. Should I go with my own faves or those that I think were important to the industry?

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:44 am

I want to point out that Chad owned Brian really, really fucking hard in this thread. The pedanticism is weakening!

P to the Z! IRL Hunger Games! Get fucked tryna make a million dollars outta quatah ounce! Toobin' for a bruisin'.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 am

Merk wrote:I want to point out that Chad owned Brian really, really fucking hard in this thread.
Because he proved me wrong? Let me take the next four lines to show how bothered I am about this:

Ok. Done.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 am

I hope you like the taste of defeat because I am going to be serving it to you all day erryday. I want to 1v1 you in Pac-Man this weekend.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:00 am

Ho wrote:I'd have to give some thought to my Top 5. Should I go with my own faves or those that I think were important to the industry?
List your faves first. I want to know what's important to you. Then you can list what was important to the industry.

I figure an industry list would look something like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, TRON, Dragon's Lair, Space Invaders.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Ho wrote:I'd have to give some thought to my Top 5. Should I go with my own faves or those that I think were important to the industry?
List your faves first. I want to know what's important to you. Then you can list what was important to the industry.

I figure an industry list would look something like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, TRON, Dragon's Lair, Space Invaders.
Why TRON? I like that game, and it's kind of a big deal, but I don't think it has nearly as widespread an aura as the other four you listed.

As for me, I'm just going to pull 5 pre-1990 games that I remember being really excited about and playing a lot of "back in the day". These are, for the time being, in no particular order:

Pac-Man (given)
Dragon's Lair (the first game I remember wanting to own)
TRON (I watched the movie like 30-40 times and wore out my Beta tape.)
Star Wars (the original vector graphics one)
Hard Drivin' (I was really knocked out by the force feedback steering and clutch shifting...even if it was only flat shaded and like 12-15 fps.)

Pac-Man, Dragon's Lair, and Star Wars were easy for me to put on my list. The other two I'm less sure about.

The story about me watching TRON on Beta is true, but I actually don't have strong memories of playing the game. I remember doing so (and I actually still think it's a good game), but I don't have any vivid memories of extended play sessions (probably because the game is f*cking ridiculously hard).

I really liked Hard Drivin', but I'll bet that if I gave it some more thought I would come up with something to replace it in my Top 5.

I have actually probably played more Ms. Pac-Man than Pac-Man and may even like it more, but I decided to put the original on the list.

I liked a lot of the laserdisc games including Space Ace, but I again went with the original and didn't want to take up multiple spots in the precious Top 5.

Galaga gets an honorable mention (and could possibly take a seat in the 5), but I think my enjoyment of it has been more recent (last 10 years or so) than when it was new. Actually, now that I think about it, I LOVED Galaga '88. I think I'd put that in place of Hard Drivin' and revise my list. I'll go ahead and attempt to rank them, too.

1. Dragon's Lair
2. Pac-Man
3. Star Wars
4. Galaga '88
5. TRON