Cycling Japan's Abandoned Rails: A video series by me

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

LikeableRodent

Cycling Japan's Abandoned Rails: A video series by me

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 am

This past summer I went up to Hokkaido (Japan's northnermost main island) and spent a month bicycle touring and searching out abandoned rail lines.

I'm in the middle of making a four-part video series about it, and I've recently finished up the first one. As IndyDDR is, well, pretty much the only place I do any socializing online, I figured it makes sense to have its world premiere here. Also I used one of Joe's songs as the main theme.

I'd be happy for any feedback :wink:

Beware: It's 20 minutes long. This ain't no short YouTube video.
Enjoy: http://youtu.be/Sfn3_nqQK28

*edit*
Changed link to higher res YouTube copy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Cycling Japan's Abandoned Rails: A video series by me

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 am

I will watch this when I get home around noon today, I pull a 2.5 hour day on Thursdays.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 am

Merk wrote:I will watch this when I get home around noon today, I pull a 2.5 hour day on Thursdays.
I'd appreciate it.

The subject of this project is a niche in a niche in a niche, so I'm curious to see what people who aren't quite as far in it as me think of it.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:30 pm

I like the little monkey road marker things.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Riot wrote:I like the little monkey road marker things.
You mean the ones that mark off construction zones? Those are so common I don't really pay them any heed anymore.

mawx
Light
Light

Post by mawx » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Wow, this was really compelling and highly enjoyable; I watched it straight through without interruptions. Despite tending to like this kind of niche thing, I have no special interest in abandoned rail lines, but your enthusiasm for the quest definitely came through in the video. That's most of what matters in creative projects, though the great production/execution is important and appreciated as well.
Also, I found it very interesting just to see the Japanese countryside landscapes, as that's a perspective I haven't had before. The trip looked like a lot of fun.
I should say that I'm the kind of person that can derive a lot of enjoyment just from walking around aimlessly in an unfamiliar location. There's this sort of serene feeling that tends to go along with traveling, at least in my experience.
Bloomington.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:14 am

Thanks for watching it.

I don't really expect most people to really care about abandoned railways in rural Japanese, but while editing it I hoped that at least some of my enthusiasm would wear off. I'm happy it apparently did.

Most English-language accounts of Japan tend to be very superficial just-arrived-tourist accounts of the lights of Tokyo, the traditions of Kyoto, and maybe a foray off to see some monkeys taking a bath... it's usually just the predefined image that many people have of Japan and not much more. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that (I went through that phase too), but I find the stereotypical foreign view of Japan quite boring now.

In other words, I wanted to try making a video that's completely different from most things about Japan, and I'm glad that you enjoyed the ride through the decaying Japanese countryside. I also enjoy wandering through unfamiliar locations.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:45 am

Finished the next episode: http://youtu.be/_Ju7TsFy8vI

mawx
Light
Light

Post by mawx » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Beautiful shot at 4:20. Thanks for the update; I look forward to the next one!
Also, the story of Randald MacDonald's life is pretty fascinating. So thanks for tipping me off to that.
Bloomington.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks for watching!

I actually only learned of Ranald MacDonald because Beth and I went to a museum on the island about the island. By chance we came across some documents in the museum on him, and I made it a mission to search out and find his monument.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:07 pm

I watched part two like a week ago and wanted to post about it but I've forgotten what I was going to say.

Anyway, this is all very well done and well shot. It's great to see you in good health and with a slight tan. It's weird seeing you not be goofy 100% of the time but I enjoyed the little bits of the "Adam that I know" that were thrown in there. Your ladyfriend was definitely not having a wonderful time and I thought your commentary on the situation was funny.

Who are you doing this for? Are you going to show this to your little kids or something?

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Thanks. I'm quite glad to be in good health and definitely got a nice tan by the end of the trip, though it's mostly faded by now.

After the trip I asked the ladyfriend how she would rate the trip on a scale of 0% (why the hell did I agree to this) to 100% (holy hell yeah awesome all the time!), and she rated it an 85%. That's a strong B, so it all worked out in the end.

I'm not really doing this for anyone in particular. Do you like bike, Japan, train, or travel videos? You're in!

Combined together it's all extremely niche, but I'm hoping that anyone who's interested in at least a part of it can enjoy it.

Actually, in YouTube's analytics I noticed one demographic that was completely unexpected. It seems that a class reunion website run by alumni of a high school in one of the cities served by the line posted the video on their site. Apparently someone who lives there came across the video and enjoyed seeing what became of the train line they used to use. It seems that the extra effort to subtitle it in Japanese was worth it.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 am

Gonna watch the shit out of this later once work slows down.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:32 pm

That's the spirit!