Dexturd - Season 6 *Spoilers*

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Dexturd - Season 6 *Spoilers*

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:24 am

Merk wrote:Since this is only thread where we've had Dexter chat.

The first episode of Season 6 has been leaked and I got to see it last night. Surprisingly I thought it was pretty well done!

It's sort of weird because they're kind of playing it off as if Season 5 didn't happen. The season starts a year after the end of season 5 and Dexter has clearly gotten over the fallout from the previous two seasons; Lumen gets a passing mention in the recap. I got a good season 1 vibe from the first episode and I really hope this season tries to be more Dexter-centric which looks to be the case if this episode is any indication.

I don't want to spoil a whole lot (there really aren't too many shocking revelations in the first episode to be honest) but I'm excited for the season and the villains have a Trinity vibe to them.

I watched Episode 1 on Showtime.com. Did you know the censor potty words?

Dexter seemed pretty careless this time around with his murderin'.

***SPOILERS FOLLOW***

He got some play from and old highschool floozy, texts the victim, then kills the victim. Wouldn't phone records show that he recieved a text from the girl? She'd be questioned and say she was with Dexter showin' him tatties and noticed her phone was missing afterwards. I don't know whether or not the show wants us to believe that Dexter is so good at this that they can handwave the details, but this was just too obvious ignore. The party goers would also notice that Dexter and Football Mans were not seen during the remainder of the night.

Right? I mean... right?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Let's tierlist random videogames

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:44 am

* SPOILER SHIT *

Yeah you have to suspend a little bit of disbelief. Dexter is one of those shows where if you think about it too hard then you'll just get pissed off. No one seems to notice all these people disappearing and we never hear of missing persons cases being filed for his victims. Even after the Bay Harbor Butcher case gets closed in season 2 no one seems to care that the exact same shit is still going down.

They were pretty good about this in season 1, they spent a lot more time on each kill and their repercussions. In the first episode you see the family of his first victim grieving and we get some cold-hearted one-liners about how he doesn't care, etc. The show has turned much more into a character drama with a side of death instead of a show about a killer. The Dexter-centric episodes are definitely the better ones in my opinion.

The first episode of this season definitely has some logic flaws, but whatevs. I'm holding out that there will be a huge shakeup at the end of this season (his son gets killed, Deb gets killed, Deb finds out, Dexter gets caught) and a concluding season next year. Michael C. Hall is in contract hell right now with Showtime and the rumor is that he's only going to do two more seasons including this one.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Merk wrote:* SPOILER SHIT *

Yeah you have to suspend a little bit of disbelief. Dexter is one of those shows where if you think about it too hard then you'll just get pissed off. No one seems to notice all these people disappearing and we never hear of missing persons cases being filed for his victims. Even after the Bay Harbor Butcher case gets closed in season 2 no one seems to care that the exact same shit is still going down.

They were pretty good about this in season 1, they spent a lot more time on each kill and their repercussions. In the first episode you see the family of his first victim grieving and we get some cold-hearted one-liners about how he doesn't care, etc. The show has turned much more into a character drama with a side of death instead of a show about a killer. The Dexter-centric episodes are definitely the better ones in my opinion.

The first episode of this season definitely has some logic flaws, but whatevs. I'm holding out that there will be a huge shakeup at the end of this season (his son gets killed, Deb gets killed, Deb finds out, Dexter gets caught) and a concluding season next year. Michael C. Hall is in contract hell right now with Showtime and the rumor is that he's only going to do two more seasons including this one.
Yeah but even in the past Dexter would abort if there was any risk of getting caught. In this season he just whips it out. He'd be an obvious suspect, moreso than anhy killing before. I don't know that I can suspend that much disbelief.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:08 pm

** Spoiler shit **

Yeah the three kills were dumb in that episode. I think the writers were trying too hard to say "Hey Dexter is back to his normal self! He's not in a cry fest over Rita / Lumen!" and in the process sacrificed the usual Dexter MO. Wouldn't the hospital go looking for the dead paramedics and ambulance? Wouldn't Dexter have to get rid of the bloodied scoreboard now? I can't remember if he plastic wrapped the school storage room or not but I'm sure his hair and shit would be all over it. The high school jock I can see them hand waving and explaining by some dumb logic if it ever came to it (hot girl was drunk at reunion and didn't realize it was gone, Dexter was in the storage area for his flag football game) but the paramedics kill is inexcusable.

They've gotten lazy in the last few seasons. Remember in the first episode of season 5 where Dexter killed that dude in broad daylight with his boat anchor in a fit of rage? They never brought it up or even made it seem like a big deal in the show. The writing has gone a bit downhill because they keep changing up the showrunner from season to season but I still have hopes for this season. There should be less side character bullshit with LaGuerta slowly getting written out and more character development for Dexter.

I need to catch the second episode that came out Sunday, from what I've read it goes a little bit more in Collin Hanks' character.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

** MORE SPOILER SHIT **

Everyone is saying that Edward James Olmos is going to be Collin Hanks' "ghost dad" a la Harry is to Dexter. Posting this now so we can forever remember if people called it by the second episode or not.

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Dexturd

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:26 pm

New Dexter thread.

I bet you're right about the ghost dad thing. It goes with the whole religious undertone of the season.

Also wtf with this new girl that's babysitting? She's getting a lot of Facetime. Think she gets waxed? I do.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:New Dexter thread.
Chad iz 1337 M0d.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Ho wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:New Dexter thread.
Chad iz 1337 M0d.
u no it

I just didn't want to spoil the show for anyone by accident. It's pretty good, you know, as far as turds go.

Merk

Re: Dexturd *Spoilers*

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 am

I caught episode 2 last night, some non-spoilery stuff since Chad probably hasn't seen it:

- Masuka's assistant, wow! Now I am not a huge booty man, but if there was a ever a booty that could convert me it would be hers. You know how "Baby Got Back" was inspired by one booty? This would be my Baby Got Back booty.

- Edward James Olmos is definitely seeming more like Fight Club's Tyler Durden to Colin Hanks' character.

- Mos Def's character is great and I'm happy that the actor has turned down his "I constantly talk like a nasally white guy" delivery that was really detracting in 8 Blocks or whatever movie he was in.

- Quinn is like the only normal human being in the show and other than some of the bullshit that went on in season 5 he's been one of the better characters. He's not on the same level of Doakes, but I like him nonetheless.

- The last two scenes come out of nowhere and are so hilariously rushed and tacked on that it was jarring.

Karate chop fake out:

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 am

Merk wrote:I caught episode 2 last night, some non-spoilery stuff since Chad probably hasn't seen it:

- Masuka's assistant, wow! Now I am not a huge booty man, but if there was a ever a booty that could convert me it would be hers. You know how "Baby Got Back" was inspired by one booty? This would be my Baby Got Back booty.

- Edward James Olmos is definitely seeming more like Fight Club's Tyler Durden to Colin Hanks' character.

- Mos Def's character is great and I'm happy that the actor has turned down his "I constantly talk like a nasally white guy" delivery that was really detracting in 8 Blocks or whatever movie he was in.

- Quinn is like the only normal human being in the show and other than some of the bullshit that went on in season 5 he's been one of the better characters. He's not on the same level of Doakes, but I like him nonetheless.

- The last two scenes come out of nowhere and are so hilariously rushed and tacked on that it was jarring.

Karate chop fake out:
Gif wins. I saw it last night as well.

What about the last two scenes? I didn't notice anything.

Also I am a big ol' booty man, and I'm unimpressed. This must be booty for white people.

I wonder if they're trying to trick us into thinking that the other man is a ghost, and then it turns out he's real and MEGA CREEPY?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 am

I might be misremembering. What I was thinking was, the transition from the scene where Deb is announced as the new Lieutenant goes from people clapping to all of a sudden Dexter in a kill room with that Julio guy with no segue whatsoever. It then goes from that scene to Colin Hanks knocking out a jogger and dragging his body to a church all in the last 3 minutes of the episode. It was sort of like "Hay we have this episode here oh SHIT Dexter hasn't killed anyone yet we better tack something on real quick!!"

I want to find a .gif of it but how can you, a booty man, not enjoy that girl's booty? It's like Jess' booty x 2. A big ol' black booty is too much booty IMO, it has to be relatively proportional and supple.

The writers probably will make Olmos' character real because I don't think they are clever enough to make him ghost dad #2. However, they are going out of their way to show similarities between Hanks and Dexter. The whole Hanks and his sister scene shows a strong parallel between Dexter and Deb, it seems like Hanks has gone through some sort of tragedy that transformed him ("Well that was before--" line said by Hanks in response to his sister's observation that he doesn't visit her anymore) into some dude that needs to bring about the apocalypse. Hanks wants to go back to a normal life but his dark passenger (Olmos, who could be a dead relative or someone close to him) eggs him on. I feel like this season is going to have a shload of symbolism to go along with the religion theme so when Olmos brands himself it could be a metaphor that Hanks' psyche is trying to get rid Olmos.

I'm sure there will be a scene around episode 10 or whatever where they investigate Hanks for some crime and in the interrogation room Dexter watches over the CCTV and through his spidey-sense he can tell Hanks is a broken man. Dexter overhears Hanks talking to himself a la when he does to Harry, Dexter does some research on him, and finds out he had a relationship with Olmos' character who we then find out has died and has been dead since episode 1 of this season.

Dexter then tries to relate to Hanks and asks him how he found religion and how he uses it to justify his killings. Dexter believes him for a little bit until something shitty happens, he realizes that killing in the name of religion is still killing and that it cannot save him / he doesn't want to pass that on to his kid, Hanks' final ritual killing to bring about the apocalypse is to kill an infant child (probably Dexter's kid) and then Dexter has to kill Hanks before shit goes down. Dexter thwarts him, but Dexter's kid sees him kill Hanks or something and gets scarred for life, end season.

I will laugh out loud if I end up being right.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 am

You put up a lot of good points. I think you might be right for about 90% of these. I'm interested in whether or not Dexter will kill the Shepherd. Dexter has never forgiven anyone in the past, but would he be willing to start now? I think it would be pretty neat, and unlikely, if Dexter ended up killing him anyway simply because Dexter is consumed by his dark passenger and must kill. I liked Dexter when he wasn't even an antihero, and I felt conflicted about rooting for him. He's become too much of a good-guy, and needs to go back to showing how dark he really is.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:05 am

Brother Sam is going to get written out one way or the other since he is played by a guest star. Dexter will probably confess some murders to him in some sort of act of forgiveness and Sam will keep quiet about them since he has a soft spot for criminals. Most likely Sam will be killed by a thug with a grudge or they will pull a Lumen and Sam has to go into witness protection or something like they did with Trinity's family. Unless they do a 180 with Sam's character and he ends up being an asshole who uses ex-cons to kill people then Dexter will not be the one to get rid of Sam.

I believe one of his Dad's rules is to kill people who are going to kill again. Sam is putting on a front that he is not going to kill again so Dexter will probably let him slide. Obviously the writers have gone back and forth a lot on the code and Dexter has broken it a shit load of times but who the fuck knows.

I agree with your last thoughts. The first seasons were so good about showing Dexter's evils and how he balances his urges with fitting in. The character has developed into a more socially conscious and emotional character which is both good and bad. The writers have progressed the character but in doing so the show has a much more soap opera feel to it instead of a straight up drama, on the other hand I'm sure 5 seasons of Dexter brooding and killing people because of his darkness would get old.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 pm

I honestly don't mind the jump they made right to the killing room. I'd rather it be unexplained than half explained.

I'm most eager to learn more about this 'end of the world' plot. I like villains that act on, what they believe, is morally correct. When a big-bad is fueled by righteous conviction, you know the final encounter with the hero will have a clash beyond just physical punch-kicks.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Lady booty in case anyone is wondering what the hell we are talking about and doesn't care about Dexter spoilers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qYF9dUHVs#t=28s

Yeah we haven't had a delusionally moral killer in the series yet other than Dexter so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out. All the other big bad killers in the show have all known for the most part that their murders are wrong and evil. Ice Truck Killer knew he was a jerk, Miguel knew he was corrupt, Trinity didn't justify his killings and knew he was a monster, and Jordan Chase got off on how he could make people do his heinous bidding.

I'm kind of pissed off that they didn't resolve anything with Trinity's family. They could easily finger Dexter as Kyle Butler to the FBI and bring him in for questioning on the whereabouts of Trinity (I don't think anyone but Dexter knows he's dead) but they disappeared after S5E1. God, it would have been awesome to have the tension between Quinn and Dexter carry over from Season 5 but lololol they both amicably decide to not call each other out on their shadiness because the writers didn't want to put themselves in a corner and kill of Quinn / jail Dex.

I can't wait until they bring on the Doakes analog later in the season. A fast-talking, jive-speaking, no-nonsense black guy is what this show needs to liven things up a bit.