What is real life like?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: What is real life like?

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote: You broke your windshield?
Yeah a rock must have bounced off a truck and made a hairline crack in the drift of my windshield. I didn't notice it until it grew out of control and into the passenger part of my windshield. Luckily insurance covered it with a $0 deductible since they want people to fix their windshields ASAP because it creates a dangerous situation.

Basically, free windshield!

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Today a coworker caught me in the elevator on the way up.

Him: "I guess it's Monday again."
Me: "So the news tells me... <fake laughing>"
I don't understand, if you loathe this behavior, why do you mimic/reinforce it? A comment that stupid deserves a rude comment in return.

You: "AW, WHAT GAVE IT AWAY?!?"

Him: "How was your weekend?"
You: "Why? So you can pretend your interested?" (Tyler Durden)

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 pm

DAVE101 wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Today a coworker caught me in the elevator on the way up.

Me: "So the news tells me... <fake laughing>"
I don't understand, if you loathe this behavior, why do you mimic/reinforce it? A comment that stupid deserves a rude comment in return.

You: "AW, WHAT GAVE IT AWAY?!?"

Him: "How was your weekend?"
You: "Why? So you can pretend your interested?" (Tyler Durden)
Because like it or not, you have to get along with people even if they're idiots.

Be nice or leave, thank you.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 pm

The way people move in the company I figure you never know who your next supervisor will be. It's no secret that I work to make money, and getting my nose brown is a big part of that.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 am

Yeah that's another thing, you have to play ball in the business world. You know how the Japs have that saying?

出る杭は打たれる。

"The stake that sticks up gets hammered down"

That is a big deal for those going in to an entry-level position. You are not paid to think or embellish your personality onto the position or your co-workers. Once you earn a decision making position then yeah you get a little more leeway but your first couple of years are going to be all, "Keep your head down, be consistent, do your job, don't stick out, be a team player." You will have to force it but it beats being fired or even worse, being ostracized and stuck in the same position without a chance for advancement.

But anyway, here's a tidbit I picked up on, if you're asked to go do a "random" drug screening you better start handing out your resume for a new job. Companies do a drug screen for two reasons: 1) they are regulated by some government body that requires paperwork that they are drug-free (your company will probably not fall in this category) or 2) they are looking for a reason to fire you with cause. If your company annually asks everyone in the company to have their drug screen in by a set date then your company fits in the former category and your job is safe. If someone from HR approaches / e-mails you personally to do a drug test then it's time to start worrying.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 am

Merk wrote:Yeah that's another thing, you have to play ball in the business world. You know how the Japs have that saying?

出る杭は打たれる。

"The stake that sticks up gets hammered down"

That is a big deal for those going in to an entry-level position. You are not paid to think or embellish your personality onto the position or your co-workers. Once you earn a decision making position then yeah you get a little more leeway but your first couple of years are going to be all, "Keep your head down, be consistent, do your job, don't stick out, be a team player." You will have to force it but it beats being fired or even worse, being ostracized and stuck in the same position without a chance for advancement.
Agreed. And before anyone stars with stories of people that somehow don't fit the above, I'm confident those are outliers, and not a good representation of what to expect. Some people get lucky.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 am

Some people know how to kiss some major ass and not be obsequious about it!

I am not one of those people, I just come off as stilted and awkward.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 am

SoDeepPolaris wrote:Because like it or not, you have to get along with people even if they're idiots.
Why? You can just distance yourself from the people with poor attitudes, low motivation, and low intelligence. If this is 95% of your work environment, find a better job. Honestly, how successful can you become in a place like this?

"Ditch the deadbeats" -Merkenstein

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:08 pm

When you first graduate from college you're going to take your first job offer unless you uber-specialized somewhere in IT or got an engineering degree and you have some clout to haggle with all your job offers. You're going to want to hold on to your first job for a year at the very least, ideally longer. As much as I hate to give in to the media pomp, we are in a recession for what will probably be the long haul and downsizing is in vogue amongst the job makers. My point is that jobs when you're first starting out are hard to come by and when you do get a job you'll have to conform with your corporate culture (fucking hate that word) for at least some time. After you get experience under your belt the job opportunities will open up and you can pick and choose if your job market is on the up and up.

If you're going into the military then you'll be fine though, we can always use a Few Good Men.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:07 pm

So does anyone have questions that aren't work related? I feel like this has turned into a thread about hating on office work.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 pm

DAVE101 wrote:
SoDeepPolaris wrote:Because like it or not, you have to get along with people even if they're idiots.
Why? You can just distance yourself from the people with poor attitudes, low motivation, and low intelligence. If this is 95% of your work environment, find a better job. Honestly, how successful can you become in a place like this?

"Ditch the deadbeats" -Merkenstein
Because I'd rather not be on welfare.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 am

Being on welfare isn't as bad as it sounds!

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Merk wrote:Being on welfare isn't as bad as it sounds!
That ain't how I was raised, boy.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:52 pm

That is why America is so great, anyone is allowed to think whatever they want!

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 am

SoDeepPolaris wrote: That ain't how I was raised, boy.
That's awesome. If you're a single dude who doesn't have to support anyone then collecting unemployment from da gubmint is pretty damn sweet, especially if you throw in a part-time job on top of that. My rent (four hunnies) is entirely paid by my unemployment stipend. Everything I get from my actual job is play money.

But if you have a few mouths to feed then yeah you're pretty fucked and unemployment doesn't help much at all.