What is real life like?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Re: What is real life like?

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Here's a workplace question:

Say a boss comes to your desk and says, "Hey there, my son is doing a fundraiser for his school band. If you're interested in any of these products, my son's school will get a percentage. I'll have the sign up form on my desk." What's the right move here if you aren't really interested in the product?

* You buy the product. You spend $15 on some crappy cheesecake you don't need, but at least your boss will think of you as a better person. You're basically taking a paycut in hopes that it pays off in the future.

* You don't buy the product. You keep your hard-earned money, but you risk your boss remembering that you did not help them when help was requested.

This has happened to me a few different times in my life, and I'm 100% against fundraising in the office because of it. It puts the employee in a weird position. I've always looked for the cheapest thing I can buy, but left at the end of the day feeling sort of cheated out of my money. Is it an unavoidable part of the business world that's 'optional' but not really, or should I stick to my guns and not spend money on things I don't want?

Obviously in a situation where you want what is being sold it's a completely different matter.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:...but you risk your boss remembering that you did not help them when help was requested.
I don't see where in your explanation anything was requested. You made it seem like he was just providing an option "if you're interested."

I don't see anything else between the lines. You'd have to have a really sh1tty boss for him to expect subordinates (people that earn less than him) to pay for something they don't have to. My take is you're over-analyzing the situation, and if you buy something he/she will assume you actually wanted it. I'm sure my opinion will have little impact, but it's your own dam fault if you buy something you don't want.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

DAVE101 wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:...but you risk your boss remembering that you did not help them when help was requested.
I don't see where in your explanation anything was requested. You made it seem like he was just providing an option "if you're interested."

I don't see anything else between the lines. You'd have to have a really sh1tty boss for him to expect subordinates (people that earn less than him) to pay for something they don't have to. My take is you're over-analyzing the situation, and if you buy something he/she will assume you actually wanted it. I'm sure my opinion will have little impact, but it's your own dam fault if you buy something you don't want.
Right, but the corporate world is overflowing with things you don't really want to do but do anyway just to get ahead. Obviously you'd want to be on your boss's good side. I agree that this is something a sh1tty boss does.

WyomingMyst
Standard
Standard

Post by WyomingMyst » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Rule of Acquisition #211 - Employees are the rungs on the ladder of success. Don't hesitate to step on them.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

The MCAT and med school application process is super intimidating.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Here's a question for everyone working a 9-5.

How much do you censor yourself at work? 0 would be completely uncensored. You act how you would normally act and don't let the change in environment affect you. 10 would be basically creating an entirely different work persona. Think Jekyll and Hyde.
You can basically think of it at a percent. 5 would be censoring 50% of what your would normally say and do.

Where do you fall? I expect answers from anyone that works a job, but isn't self employed. You should have a boss and co-workers. Students don't count. Sorry.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:31 am

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 am

Chad and I have already discussed this but I roughly censor myself at the level of "1"

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:13 am

Damn. I'm at a 6 or so.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:01 am

Chad, if you're at 6, I need to hang out with you outside of work more. ;)

I think I'd give myself a 3.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Things I will talk about / say at work:

Weed
Pussy and all facets of sex and sexuality
Curse words
Politics (not that I can contribute much)
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

Things I will not talk about / say at work:

Slurs, even if I am trying to spit some mad rap lyrics
Spoilers

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm

wow that link is not too dissimilar from http://www.broslikethissite.com/