Eatin' sweet potato fries and gettin' buff

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Eatin' food and gettin' buff

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:22 pm

That's my cake! It's also about the time I started getting fatter. Coincidence?

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:35 pm

What the fuck is Japan night? I went to this local Japan thingy and we smashed a watermelon and I won some free chopsticks by picking up a bunch of ping pong balls with them.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 pm

Hold on there is a long drawn out post in a thread somewhere on this forum that explained Jap night. Let me dig it up.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:47 pm

From 10/10/2006 in this thread:
Merk wrote:Japan Night is a weekly gathering held by the Bloomington crew every Thursday night at the house owned by myself, Riot, and Fluffyumpkins at 10pm. It is a tradition that started very nonchalantly last year with only a handful of people (usually V, myself, Fluffyumpkins, and Riot) getting together after work/classes and playing DDR home versions, fighting games, or just anything that fit the otaku stereotype. As the weekly meetings became more consistent, Japan Night became more ingrained into our respective schedules to the point where we all looked forward to the event and treated it as the norm in our Thursday activities. A week without Japan Night was truly a week not worth having! We eventually brought more and more people into the fold and they too soon began to come regularly and participate in the gaming/socializing.

Japan Night has since grown to include many people, DDR players and non, getting together and really just hanging out. We've had a few special guests from out of town come to this weekly event who post on this forum, the most recent of which being TaQa. Additionally the activities that go on have broaden to the point where the majority of the stuff we do isn't nerdy. The substence of the event has changed but we decided to keep the name for consistency and "Japan Night" was simply catchy. However, this year it seems like the emphasis on playing games has dwindled and everyone who comes seems to more or less come just to see people and chat it up. I don't mind the change personally, but Japan Night now is different than Japan Night back then.

We encourage people to come to this, it was a great time having TaQa go out of his way to come over and spend the night with us. We wouldn't mind having other people who post here come over as long as they're not a huge fucking douchebag or elitest nerd. Some of the people who've come to this include ShammerS, Riot, V, TaQa, Secef, Soma, lgolem, blackcat24, Merk, Fluffyumpkins, and the poster formerly known as Stoned Orc. I hope that this tradition continues for a long time, even after my time here in B-Town is over and done with, though this is probably wishful thinking.

If anyone else wants to add an addendum to my synopsis of Japan Night then go ahead, I think I've covered the basics.
Japan Night is apparently a pretty popular phrase on indyDDR.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Shoutouts to Merk, V, Riot, Clint, Secef, Blackcat, BigBadOrc, Deezer, Jason, Kyle, Josh, Shammers, and others for the memories.

Back before everyone had DDR/IIDX and fighting games could be played online, it was a chance to share a common interest. Some highlights:

-Having everyone take a button on a Ransai to play Pop'n
-Hours and hours getting fan packs for the Cobalt Flux/Stepmania combo
-Playing Guitar Hero the day it was released and thinking that this game couldn't possibly get popular
-Lan with some House of the Dead 2
-Kylers emulator with crazy ass games I've never heard of
-Merk making V cry
-A girl being a huge flirt and breaking Nate's heart
-3 venue changes over the years
-Beating marble madness
-Some randoms schooling everyone at 3rd Strike
-Watching SurviveStyle5+
-Riot making V melt
-Step chart contests

Please add more. :[

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Shoutouts to Merk, V, Riot, Clint, Secef, Blackcat, BigBadOrc, Deezer, Jason, Kyle, Josh, Shammers, and others for the memories.
Word. Thumbs down to the smelly people that crashed the good times and made Jap Night a thing of shame, you know who you are. I hope you eventually found a shower.

Super duper shouts to the dirty Deez and them puffy nips. I feel the pain, girl!

(Which Jason are we talking about?)

EDIT: When was Jap Night at its prime? During its beginning at 416 N. Clark St. or its dying days at 505 S. Highland Ave.?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 pm

I never saw no puffs =(

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 pm

I think 1902 saw the best days. I'd walk from the evening Read shit with V and Riot. You'd bring 10th style.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm

That was during the 416 era. We may have tried Japing a few times at 1902 but I don't think that was ever a permanent thing. I have two memories of 1902 that might have been Jap night related:

1) You and Seth were playing Third Strike and you got your ass beat by his Ryu. Seth kept saying how much 3S sucked and how Ryu is the best character and just basically wouldn't let up on how bad he was beating you. Without saying a word you slam your controller down, take your keys, and walk out the house slamming the door behind you.

2) You were playing Marble Madness on the NES back in the day when you had a tough time beating the game. There was a big crowd of people at 1902 for some reason all huddled in the living room, I don't think it was Jap night but rather we were just gathering there to go to a movie or something. Anyway, you're on the last level and we're all pretty intently watching you play as you continuously fall off the edge on the last shifting floor obstacle. With a single second to spare, you bee-line to the goal and the floor just magically falls in your favor and you beat the game. The crowd erupts in a cheer and you jump around the room hooping and high-fiving people.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Merk wrote:That was during the 416 era. We may have tried Japing a few times at 1902 but I don't think that was ever a permanent thing. I have two memories of 1902 that might have been Jap night related:

1) You and Seth were playing Third Strike and you got your ass beat by his Ryu. Seth kept saying how much 3S sucked and how Ryu is the best character and just basically wouldn't let up on how bad he was beating you. Without saying a word you slam your controller down, take your keys, and walk out the house slamming the door behind you.

2) You were playing Marble Madness on the NES back in the day when you had a tough time beating the game. There was a big crowd of people at 1902 for some reason all huddled in the living room, I don't think it was Jap night but rather we were just gathering there to go to a movie or something. Anyway, you're on the last level and we're all pretty intently watching you play as you continuously fall off the edge on the last shifting floor obstacle. With a single second to spare, you bee-line to the goal and the floor just magically falls in your favor and you beat the game. The crowd erupts in a cheer and you jump around the room hooping and high-fiving people.
So much passion wasted on a nerd.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Chad you've changed. You used to be all about stupid shit like this but ever since you started laying splick splack all you want to do is go to the gym and talk smack about games and shit.

There is no shame in getting behind something pointless and futile. The average corporate cannon fodder isn't going to change the world so you might as well try to get the world record on Frogger or something.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Merk wrote:Chad you've changed. You used to be all about stupid shit like this but ever since you started laying splick splack all you want to do is go to the gym and talk smack about games and shit.

There is no shame in getting behind something pointless and futile. The average corporate cannon fodder isn't going to change the world so you might as well try to get the world record on Frogger or something.
You're supposed to show me a picture of everyone having a great time so many years ago to make me wistful. Then I take a long hard look at life and remember what's important. Roll credits.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote: Please add more. :[
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcEBlpizLTY
You're supposed to show me a picture of everyone having a great time so many years ago to make me wistful. Then I take a long hard look at life and remember what's important. Roll credits.
Laughed IRL at this. You'll be on your deathbed with visions of all the people who are long gone a la the end of Return of The Jedi. You'll see a ghostly vision of me (I died 15 years ago from a heart attack) mouthing something extremely racist and you'll retire from this mortal coil with a smile on your face knowing that in the end the time you spent with us was all worth it.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

eRe: Eatin' food and gettin' buff

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:57 pm

She has a crush on every boy. We are scraggly haired skinny bois. We could have very well been in a budding indie nerdcore band.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 pm

A weekly meetup to play vidya has always been one of my dreams. When did this end and why?