Eatin' sweet potato fries and gettin' buff

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Eatin' sweet potato fries and gettin' buff

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:51 am

I have three kibbies.

Peep (seen above)
Lucy
Bady (pronounced BAY-DEE)

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:26 am

Nice. I wanna play teh didder and lift teh weights too.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:29 am

I want to pet the kitties. :3

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:43 pm

nice setup also keeeekeeeeeeee
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:57 am

Had my first lifting session yesterday! I didn't really know what to expect or where my strength level was I started off light and tried to practice my form. I essentially did this:

Deads: 75lbs x 30 reps
Squats: 75 x 30
Bench: 65 x 30

I feel a little sore but during my next lift on Sunday I'm definitely going to up the weight a bit on all exercises since I feel like I should be way more sore and I wasn't too strained.

By the way, playing DDR after lifting is fucking weird. My legs felt like jelly and it was a struggle to do anything other than bracket.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 am

Merk wrote:Had my first lifting session yesterday! I didn't really know what to expect or where my strength level was I started off light and tried to practice my form. I essentially did this:

Deads: 75lbs x 30 reps
Squats: 75 x 30
Bench: 65 x 30

I feel a little sore but during my next lift on Sunday I'm definitely going to up the weight a bit on all exercises since I feel like I should be way more sore and I wasn't too strained.

By the way, playing DDR after lifting is fucking weird. My legs felt like jelly and it was a struggle to do anything other than bracket.
How long of a cooldown between DDR and lifting? In 2008 and 2009 I made it a point to have a 20-30 minute break so that I could recover after finishing upper body or abs (I rotated every other day between those two groups.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:38 am

Next to none. I pretty much finished my sets and immediately started playing some DDR singles. I had the machine up and running before I started lifting so that I could immediately get into the game and not have to wait for it to boot and put the unlock codes in and shit.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:58 am

Weigh-in #1

Sunday, Dec 20 at 9:09PM
234.5 lbs 31.3% fat

Net change: -2.9lbs

The weekend was mostly relaxing but I did strictly adhere to eating clean and creating a calorie deficit. Honestly dieting is not that bad, lean meats are good as fuck and bagged frozen veggies taste p good. I did another lifting session on Sunday and threw a bit more weight on there is see where I stand:

Squats: 95lbs x 10 reps, 115lbs x 10reps, 125lbs x 8 reps (this got pretty hard towards the end)
Deads: 95lbs x 10 reps, 115lbs x 10reps, 125lbs x 10 reps -- this wasn't too bad, I feel like I could probably do more next lift
Overhead Press: 45lbs x 10 reps, 65lbs x 10 reps, 65lbs x 6 reps

And then I did some auxiliary work like bicep curls and tricep extensions during the IU basketball game

I waited a few hours and then played ~30 minutes of DDR and I felt much better this time, I guess the secret is to wait a bit between lifting and DDRing. Racquetball is canceled for tonight so I'll substitute with some DDR.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Deads: 115lbs x 10reps, 135lbs x 10reps, 145lbs x 5reps, 145lbs x 5reps, 145lbs x 5reps -- Felt pretty good about this again and really felt a tightness in my hamstrings and lower back after this. I could probably stand to add more weight again next lift.

Squats: 95lbs x 10reps, 95lbs x 10reps, 115lbs, 8reps -- Didn't do so hot on this one, I don't know if it's because I was tired from the deadlifts or what. I think I'll switch it up and do squats first next time to see if that impacts my deadlifts.

Bench: 65lbs x 10reps, 65lbs x 10reps, 85lbs x 10reps, 85lbs by 8reps -- Better than last time, I think I'm getting more comfortable with this lift. I'm going to not use a barbell clip on this lift so that I can dump the weight if I fail a rep. I've always kind of had a fear of getting pinned down underneath the barbell on this exercise.

Finished off the lifts for the day with some 60lbs x 15rep quad extension sets since my squats didn't go so well.

I also did 30 minutes on the treadmill after about two hours of rest. I felt like I needed some cardio for the day. Holy shit does treadmill kick my ass, I've never really been a big runner but hey I got 1.75 miles in 30 minutes. Yay for being a fatty.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:50 am

I am ready to horizontal handshake with Buff Merk.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:28 pm

Horizontal handshake? Is that like..... banging? Like you want to bang me when I am buff? I mean that's cool and all, maybe we can do some weird MMF stuff, you know? I've always wanted to participate in an Eiffel Tower.

Anyway, gonna DDR tonight. I want to lift Thursday but with it being the holiday and all I don't know if I can. Probably gonna have to postpone it until Saturday :(

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm

I don't know what it's called. But it's like what you see bodybuilders do. They put their hand out for a handshake, but they're holding their hand horizontally...like, palm down. I don't know if that's supposed to be some kind of dominance gesture or if they're just so muscle-y that they can't turn their arm for their palm to be vertical like a normal handshake.

But, if you want to bang...that might be ok, too.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 am

Weigh in #2

Sunday, Dec 27 at 9:13PM
228.9 lbs 30.3% fat

Net change: -8.5 lbs

Still making progress! I kept eating clean throughout the holiday and still maintained my lifting schedule. I'm going to agree with Brian on the fact that the Aria is completely fucked up when it comes to measuring body fat. My body fat measurements seem completely random and I usually have to weigh myself twice to get a reading that's in the same ballpark as yesterday's reading. Am I at 30.3% body fat? Who the fuck knows, but it's close to where I was at before so I'm going to roll with it.

I decided to change things up with my lifting program and I'm going with the one described here: http://stronglifts.com/

It's almost exactly the same as what I was doing before but it puts less emphasis on deadlifts, more on squats, and adds bent over rows to the regimen. It focuses on form (which I should always be doing) and gradually building strength by adding more weight each workout. Here's my latest lift from yesterday:

Squats: 45lbs @ 10 reps, 65lbs @ 10 reps, (105lbs @ 5 reps) x 5
Overhead Press: 45lbs @ 10 reps, 45lbs @ 10 reps, (55lbs @ 5 reps) x 5
Deadlift: 155lbs @ 5 reps

I've been sticking with DDR for cardio and had a real fun and exerting session yesterday. Tonight is racquetball - looking forward to it!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 am

Racquetball was fun! I was more active than usual and went after shots I would normally give up on. Lots of fun, playing again next Monday.

Lifted yesterday and upped the weight on the ol' 5x5 program:

Squats:

45lbs x 10 reps
65lbs x 10 reps
(110 x 5 reps) x 5

Bench press:

45lbs x 20 reps
65lb x 10 reps
(80lbs x 5 reps) x 5

Bent Over Row:

65lbs x 10 reps
(90lbs x 5 reps) x 5

I still don't know if I'm doing the Bent Over Rows right. I'm kinda sorta feeling it in my back but not really. I'm not sure if it's because the weights are light still or if I'm not using the right form, probably the latter. Squats are getting a little harder but are still manageable and in a few weeks I'm going to be getting up there in bench press - hopefully I don't end up killing myself!

Playing DDR tonight, going to try to get all the shit from 5th that I can.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Your holidays have been the opposite of mine. At least I've played a lot of Fallout?