Eatin' sweet potato fries and gettin' buff

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Eatin' food and gettin' buff

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 pm

People got busy, life became stressful, bellies became fat, weird people started coming (HEY MAN CAN I BRING MY AWKWARD FRIENDS TO JAPAN NIGHT?), there were too many people and not enough vidyagames, and it became kind of a chore to always host a weekly thing and setup/tear down/pick people up/drop people off/feel obligated to be up there all night/etc.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Nice.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Riot wrote:weird people started coming (HEY MAN CAN I BRING MY AWKWARD FRIENDS TO JAPAN NIGHT?)
This is the big thing. It became one of those situations where if someone really fucking awkward (and smelly) came once then they felt entitled to come every week. We didn't want to be one of "those guys" who tell people to GTFO because we wanted to be as drama free as possible. If we told an invitee (let's use Katy as an example) that their friends couldn't come because we didn't like them then we would end up alienating the invitee who we actually liked.

Thus, the gathering went on hiatus but looking back it was probably for the best. In true Jap fashion we decided to kill something that was in its prime in fear that it would lose its luster and shame its ancestors.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:25 pm

well now that most all you guys are living around indy, try to start holding them, a bit more privately again? closed fb events and such? Now that I'm not dying anymore I'd love to help, I really enjoyed getting to see all of you again and I feel hanging with you guys would be super more enjoyable now that I'm mature and able to drink and have fun and all that. Also have a couple 1080p panels I wouldn't mind bringing to said gatherings if you guys need them, and numerous other such things
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 pm

Yeah it'd be great to do shit like Jap night again but we'd really be limited to just weekends now that a lot of us have to work for The Man. Chad actually had a Jap Night reunion thingy at his house earlier this year to raise a small donation for the Jap earthquake relief fund. I feel like since we're all so spoiled now with owning our own arcade machines and shit that the "omfg I've never seen this before" vibe that Jap Night often brought would be gone. I'd love it if we could make a weekly/monthly gathering happen though - I'm a social butterfly.

If we ever got Chad's MAME cabinet up and running or if he gutted Brandon's DDR machine and put Stepmania in it I think that that would relight the innovation spark of Jap Night.

Plus we can throw in more alcohol and make stupid prop bets on videogames.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:13 am

Merk wrote:Moved the weights to the garage - we don't have a bench or anything so I've just been doing curls and working my shoulders and triceps. Are there any good free weight exercises that work my lower back?

How the fuck do I do a proper bent over row? I feel like I'm going to fall over but if I don't bend over too much I feel like I'm not working my back at all.

I will look like this again one of these days... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsui6JrEJ0
Deadlifts, Pendlay rows and good mornings are all the lower back I use, really. Deads will get you Christmas tree'd out as fuck.Image That, years of training and a perfect diet...

Pendlay rows - http://stronglifts.com/how-to-master-ba ... technique/
(The dude hates on Yates so much it's kind of annoying. Yates was a multiple consecutive year Mr. Olympian. His method of rowing gave him some amazing upper back but it's not what you want to be doing for your program most likely.) Major difference between Pendlays and regular bent-over rows is the de-loading and stricter form.

Since you don't have a bench I'm doubting you have 45 lb bar or 45lb weights so the proportions are going to be off for you on the Pendlays and Deads. You can still do partials without touching the ground but you just need to be aware that going to the ground with the dimensions of your plates is different than the olympic/bumper/45s.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:25 am

Thus, the gathering went on hiatus but looking back it was probably for the best. In true Jap fashion we decided to kill something that was in its prime in fear that it would lose its luster and shame its ancestors.
Yes to this.

Another advantage for IU/Bloomington was the small town factor. I don't think anyone lived more than a 10 minute drive away, and most of us were already roomies. The whole situation was lemon squeezy. Now I struggle to think of anyone that lives within a 20 minute drive.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:39 am

Merk wrote:Thus, the gathering went on hiatus but looking back it was probably for the best. In true Jap fashion we decided to kill something that was in its prime in fear that it would lose its luster and shame its ancestors.
By this logic, IndyDDR should not have returned from its November 25, 2004-February 2, 2005 hiatus.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:58 am

IndyDDR isn't Jap though so it wouldn't exactly fit. Why did you shut down IndyDDR the first time? Because people were getting so uppity that we needed a break?

Was the hiatus really that short? I remember it seemed so long back then.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

Imma try out those rows tonight and see how I do. I was lifting from my hands before which would explain why I never felt like I was doing anything to my back - I'll pull from the elbows as suggested.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:07 pm

I have a friend who has a MAME cab, but she lives 30 minutes away and while I try to play it as much as I can we usually watch a movie or something and I don't go there very often. Ironically I go there far more than I get to see my nearby friends because they're all stubborn and stuff.
Start being in Bloomington, guiz. And do I have to add you guys to Facebook to be a cool kid? I have one now because I have to use it to stay in contact to my 130 Taiwanese friends or whatever.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 am

I am in Bloomington and I play DDR. There was a kid who I've never seen before playing last Friday who had a green shirt on and was wearing a bandanna - that wasn't you was it? He certainly didn't look 16 that's for sure.

I also have a Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MICHAELGMERKLER

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:04 pm

It wasn't me, but I was in there on Sunday.
I was busy being a cashier at Menards on Friday.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Funny thing is, I was really really close in deciding to go to the mall on Sunday to play DDR.

I got distracted by IIDX instead though. Damn shame too.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:10 pm

It's okay, I was just seeing how good I still was. In conclusion: I'm not.