Internet dating *or* grasping for love at end of one's rope

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Internet dating *or* grasping for love at end of one's rope

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:15 am

I can't tell, is that a good first acquaintance or a bad one? How bout this, do you see yourselves hanging out again?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 am

Probably not. There isn't much chemistry, I don't think. It slipped my mind in my previous post, but she seemed off-put by my lack of any tattoos. I still have remnants of that temporary Riley tattoo on my bicep, but I don't think showing that off won her favor. It's pretty clear that I'm not a portrait of mr. nice-safe guy, but I definitely don't look like a badass punk rockin' hipster. I don't think I ever tried to foster that image from the get-go.

That said, we did have a fun enough time just hanging out. I think we could potentially end up friends, except she has like 700+ Facebook friends. In my experience, anyone that keeps that many social connections alive tends to spread themselves thin. My guess is she'll always be busy, and we'll never really get to know each other. I'd rather have a bunch of close friends than an army of casual adequateness. Think of it as a quality vs. quantity scenario, only the people I do see regularly aren't exactly premium (looking at you IndyDDR.)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:57 am

I saw speed dating depicted in a television show last night (on Netflix, not current). I still think it looks fun for some reason--even if the show was kind of making fun of it.

Also...

C'mon now, IndyDDR peeps are top tier!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:04 am

Hell yeah bro, say you don't like her and ignore her for two weeks and then hit her up again. That's how the mack game works; I like your strategy.

You should go in depth on your inevitable next date about why only a select few, the ones who can pull it off, should have tattoos. If your arm looks like a flabby mutton then there's no reason to get a tribal tattoo around the bicep. If you don't have a small waist and wide hips then there's no reason to get a tramp stamp. You should not get a tat for the sake of getting a tat, it has to look good on you and have enough meaning to be a talking point.

700+ Facebook friends can mean a couple of things. Odds are you are right in your assumption, but she could be pulling off the "I'm a bubbling socialite" persona and just friend every Dick and Jane she's come across at parties. For some, the number of FB friends is a status thing and it could be just simply that. If she comments / receives comments from a select few then that's prolly more in line with what you're looking for. Honestly, Twitter is probably a better indicator in this case of her social life, and by the look of things her Twitter is more honest and personal than her FB.

Hit her up in two weeks if she doesn't jump the gun. If she initiates then the tattoo thing isn't a big deal, she'll cope, and she has more in common with you than you think. Afterall, didn't your last ladyfriend have a good 500+ Facebook friends?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 am

Ho wrote:I saw speed dating depicted in a television show last night (on Netflix, not current). I still think it looks fun for some reason--even if the show was kind of making fun of it.

Also...

Brian if I get skinny I'll do this with you for a laugh of it. I'll be awkward as shit.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 am

Jess has like 360ish. I'm not saying it's a hard rule that lots of Facebook connections make you a flake, but it is something I use as a general red flag. Sort of like people that 'typ alot like this lol' or come from Fort Wayne. Thanks for the mack tips, but I don't think she's the one.

I'm not sure I agree with you on tattoos. If you want a stupid tribal band on your arm go for it. It's yo body, bro.

Brian: You know I have nothing but love for IndyDDR.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am

I mean yeah it's your body and you have your constitutional rights and shit but I approach it the same as the cosplay argument. If you're 400 pounds you should not be dressing up as Akuma. Likewise if you're fat, really skinny, and without any muscle mass then you shouldn't get a tattoo. Vician (mutual friend, none of you indyDDR folks know him) can pull it off because he's an imposing motherfucker, bald, has a huge goatee, and has a naturally strong frame. Myself, Riot, MonMotha, and probably Amp could not pull off a tattoo well. Ho could get some Asian shit on him and it would probably work if it was subtle.

700+ friends on Facebook is a flag, I'll agree, but I don't put that much emphasis on it. From my internet detective stalk it looks like she's just bubbly and likes to make weird faces because she's a goofball. She doesn't look boring; I would not write her off completely. I will say that having under 100 friends is a worse flag unless you're in to chicks who don't get out much. The worst flags are "Smoker" and "NASCAR" in my opinion.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:19 pm

Merk wrote:
Ho wrote:I saw speed dating depicted in a television show last night (on Netflix, not current). I still think it looks fun for some reason--even if the show was kind of making fun of it.

Also...

Brian if I get skinny I'll do this with you for a laugh of it. I'll be awkward as shit.
This sounds like comedy gold. I'm in.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:... but it is something I use as a general red flag. Sort of like people that 'typ alot like this lol' or come from Fort Wayne.

hay wait lol wat lol

Chad I want you to find love in all the right places. (peepee)

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:36 pm

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:44 am

Are you saying I'm fat, really skinny, and without any muscle mass?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:08 am

Well not exactly. You have a healthy average build but from what I can tell, keeping in mind that I haven't seen a shirtless MonMotha, you don't have the defined musculature to pull off a tattoo well. Not a lot of people do though so it's not a huge deal.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 am

Tattoos aside, I've found a few more people I know in real life on OKC. I'm apparently a pretty good 'match' with most of my friends, or at least the single ones that have relationship prabs and need to use the internet as a crutch.

Friends aside, I'm trying to get the word prabs (short for problems) in circulation.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 am

I got 99 prabs and a problem ain't one.

Chad I hope you find love with Gwenbear.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 am

Hey so how is the internet dating going? Any prospects? I take it Sam_Kabaam is out of the picture now?