test my game

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

test my game

Post by malictus » Fri May 06, 2011 9:10 am

http://www.kongregate.com/games/malictu ... eplay-test

This is a stripped down version with basic graphics, no sound, etc. I THINK, but can't prove, that every game is winnable. It's based on the old 'Lights Out' game, but with the addition of multiple colors, and 'shift-clicking' to alter the diagonals.

Lemme know what you think (oh, and rate the game if you feel so inclined :) )

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: test my game

Post by Riot » Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm

I think it just needs something to make it more "gamelike." I don't know, I guess I'm talking about some kind of metagame. It works and it's functional, but I don't feel drive to continue. I guess a lot of that can be enhanced with the interface, especially the music, which is a huge part of puzzle games, especially online flash games. Get Joe to make some catchy techno beatz (like Lasso!). How hard would it be to add networking so that two or more players could race? I wonder if there's a way to incorporate points and have some kind of combo system or "ripple effect" if you can set up multiple tiles to switch colors at once on the multi-colored modes. I don't know, sorry if I'm delving too much into the gameplay design aspects, especially with relatively vague open-ended ideas, but that's what immediately struck me.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of comments I'm looking for!

This is mostly just a test of the core gameplay mechanic --- as it is it's pretty plain and boring. My first thought is to put in a 'career mode' where there are various board setups so that 'passing' the board requires a certain time limit and/or limit on the number of moves. I definitely like your idea of networking against other people but I don't think I'm going that deep into Flash programming just yet (the whole idea of this game was to make something easy before delving into trickier stuff!).

But I do like the idea of a combo or 'ripple' effect; perhaps I'll find a way to add that in. I also thought about 'bombs' which would change the color of a whole section of the board at a time.

And I've already been talking with Joe about adding some music :D

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon May 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Whatever happened to Poop Man?

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Merk wrote:Whatever happened to Poop Man?
The sequel is coming soon, complete with poop-throwing bosses. Should be a hoot.