Official Linux questions thread

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Official Linux questions thread

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Alright so I'm trying to install RT (http://bestpractical.com/rt) on a RHEL 6.0 VM which requires a billion dependencies. I don't know shit about Linux. But running a 'make testdeps' outputs the following:

Code: Select all

[root@RTIR rt-3.8.7]# make fixdeps
/usr/bin/perl ./sbin/rt-test-dependencies --verbose --install --with-mysql --with-fastcgi
perl:
	>=5.8.3(5.10.1) ...found
users:
	rt group (rt) ...found
	bin owner (root) ...found
	libs owner (root) ...found
	libs group (bin) ...found
	web owner (apache) ...found
	web group (apache) ...found
CLI dependencies:
	Term::ReadKey ...found
	Getopt::Long >= 2.24 ...found
	HTTP::Request::Common ...found
	Term::ReadLine ...found
	Text::ParseWords ...found
	LWP ...found
CORE dependencies:
	Class::ReturnValue >= 0.40 ...found
	Text::Quoted >= 2.02 ...found
	CSS::Squish >= 0.06 ...found
	Encode >= 2.21 ...found
	Module::Versions::Report >= 1.05 ...found
	MIME::Entity >= 5.425 ...found
	DBI >= 1.37 ...found
	Locale::Maketext::Lexicon >= 0.32 ...found
	Devel::StackTrace >= 1.19 ...found
	Digest::base ...found
	Time::ParseDate ...found
	File::Temp >= 0.18 ...found
	Locale::Maketext >= 1.06 ...found
	Tree::Simple >= 1.04 ...found
	Text::Template >= 1.44 ...found
	Scalar::Util ...found
	HTML::Scrubber >= 0.08 ...found
	File::Spec >= 0.8 ...found
	Calendar::Simple ...found
	DBIx::SearchBuilder >= 1.54 ...found
	Sys::Syslog >= 0.16 ...found
	Mail::Mailer >= 1.57 ...found
	File::ShareDir ...found
	Regexp::Common ...found
	Digest::MD5 >= 2.27 ...found
	HTML::Entities ...found
	Cache::Simple::TimedExpiry ...found
	File::Glob ...found
	Locale::Maketext::Fuzzy ...found
	Time::HiRes ...found
	Text::Wrapper ...found
	Log::Dispatch >= 2.0 ...found
	UNIVERSAL::require ...found
	Email::Address ...found
DASHBOARDS dependencies:
	HTML::RewriteAttributes >= 0.02 ...found
	MIME::Types ...found
FASTCGI dependencies:
	CGI::Fast ...found
	CGI >= 3.38 ...found
	FCGI ...found
GPG dependencies:
	PerlIO::eol ...found
	GnuPG::Interface ...found
ICAL dependencies:
	Data::ICal ...found
MAILGATE dependencies:
	Pod::Usage ...found
	HTML::TreeBuilder ...found
	Getopt::Long ...found
	HTML::FormatText ...found
	LWP::UserAgent ...found
MASON dependencies:
	Storable >= 2.08 ...found
	CSS::Squish >= 0.06 ...found
	Apache::Session >= 1.53 ...found
	Errno ...found
	Devel::StackTrace >= 1.19 ...found
	CGI::Cookie >= 1.20 ...found
	Text::WikiFormat >= 0.76 ...found
	XML::RSS >= 1.05 ...MISSING
	HTML::Mason >= 1.36 ...found
	Digest::MD5 >= 2.27 ...found

Install module XML::RSS
Going to read '/root/.cpan/Metadata'
  Database was generated on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:29:18 GMT
[u][b]XML::RSS is up to date (1.48).[/b][/u]
MYSQL dependencies:
	DBD::mysql >= 2.1018 ...found
SMTP dependencies:
	Net::SMTP ...found
STANDALONE dependencies:
	Net::Server ...found
	HTTP::Server::Simple >= 0.34 ...found
	HTTP::Server::Simple::Mason >= 0.09 ...found

SOME DEPENDENCIES WERE MISSING.
MASON missing dependencies:
	XML::RSS >= 1.05 ...MISSING
make: *** [fixdeps] Error 1
[root@RTIR rt-3.8.7]# 
I think I am being trolled by Linux at this point. Clearly XML::RSS version 1.48 is installed (bold emphasis is mine) but this bit-shifting bullshiter of a computer is erroring out and saying its not. Googling says to install the dependency and run 'make testdeps' again but lolololololol obviously that's not working. Again, I'm a retard when it comes to Linux so bear with me on any solution you, the internet, postulates for me.

EDIT: Kekeke the Code tag in phpBB stops all font parsing so my little "bold emphasis" is surrounded by tags. I'm leaving my little error there as a tribute to all fail posts everywhere.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Official Linux questions thread

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Not sure if this works for .tar.gz files but when you right click and go to properties there might be a "permissions" tab and under this "permissions" tab there might be a box you can check called "allow executing file as program." If that is all square, check that box, double click the file, and select "Run in Terminal" from the dialog that pops up, then just follow the install instructions in the terminal window.

That is the extent of any Linux knowledge I have so if that doesn't work then I have no idea.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:37 pm

lol case sensitive file systems.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

^^ I know it's pretty shitty. Trying to cd to a directory that I literally see in front of me in the terminal is fucking frustrating beyond belief when all I had to do was capitalize a letter.

Why do people pay for operating systems? Because they don't have to put up with bullshit like this (most of the time). I still don't know how Apple stays in business though.

Still haven't found a solution yet. I really hope Mr. Monmotha chimes in.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Fuck it. I just did a "make install -i" and ignored all the errors and crossed my fingers. I really am curious as to why this error occurred though.

Now if I only knew how to configure Apache then I'd be set!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:06 pm

This topic is not funny : (

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Have you tried http://zenware.net/blog/?p=14 by any chance? This may help determine what is missing.

There is also the possibility that something may have changed in more recent versions of these packages that resulted in Mason not being able to see XML::RSS.
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Try

Code: Select all

apt-get install -y libxml-rss-perl
and see if it make titderps correctly after that.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 am

You should always use packages provided by/for your distribution where possible. If necessary, create your own. If you don't use the packaging system, you'll rapidly end up with a pretty broken system of dependency and library version hell.

Dependencies are quite common on Linux. Due to the fact that almost everything is open source, people are more apt to reuse others' work in the form of libraries rather than constantly reinventing the wheel. This seems especially true with perl. Fortunately, Linux's library versioning is pretty good.

I don't know RHEL very well, unfortunately, and Red Hat is well known for doing this "The Red Hat Way" which, of course, is rarely anything like "The way everybody else does it". There's a very good chance that there's a package for the XML::RSS perl library, though. However, RHEL tends to be old, so said package may be outdated and too old for what you want to use it with. There's generally a "backport" service available, though it will void just about any and all support you may be getting for RHEL, which is the whole point of why RHEL costs money (CentOS is the free as in beer version of RHEL but comes without the Red Hat provided support).

There's also a good chance that somebody (perhaps not Red Hat) has a package available for RT (and all its dependencies) that you can just install, though you may need to configure the database and Apache by hand. Debian certainly has things like that packaged up, though the packages are usually only suitable if you want to run one instance of the application.

The package manager on RHEL is "rpm" (the "Red had Package Manager"), and the frontend that handles automated download and install including dependencies is "yum". This applies to all Red Hat derived distributions including RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, and I believe the SuSE distributions. The equivalent on Debian derived distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.) is dpkg and apt-get.

In general, installing a properly created package (which, surprisingly, is most of them, even in 3rd party repositories) including all dependencies is usually as simple as figuring out the package name then doing either "yum install packagename" or "apt-get install packagename", depending on what lineage your distribution hails from. There are also some GUI frontends that provide you the ability to graphically search and browse package lists. The most common one for apt (which ships with Ubuntu) is Synaptic. I don't remember what the yum frontend is called. Note that you can search from the command line, too: "apt-cache search foobar" will search all available APT repositories for "foobar" in the package name and brief description, and I think "yum search foobar" does something similar.

I recently installed redmine (another issue tracker) on Debian. I had to install all of Ruby on Rails and an SQL server to make that work. My recollection is that it took about 3 APT commands (since I wanted to pull redmine from a backports repository that had a slightly newer version than Debian 5.0), and I did have to manually configure Apache to use Passenger. The redmine install scripts were nice enough to set up the PostgreSQL database for me, though I do seem to recall having some minor issue with the PostgreSQL package's setup script missing one minor step when setting up the SQL server itself. Took me maybe an hour all told including all configuration for PostgreSQL, Passenger, Apache, and Redmine itself, and I'd never touched Passenger or Redmine before and had very limited experience with PostgreSQL.

BTW, I highly recommend Redmine. I haven't use RT, but Redmine is really nice.

And yes, Linux (and all UNIX derived distributions, including OSX) have case sensitive file systems. Some GUI frontends will hide that case sensitivity to varying degrees (this is what Apple does). You just get used to it. Tab completion is your friend when operating the shell. I'm actually much much faster in a shell familiar to me than a GUI for almost all tasks. I've been meaning to figure out how to properly operate PowerShell on Windows for that reason.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

wat

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 am

Riot wrote:wat
That was MonMotha's way of saying "Wtf noob, use yum to install shit. Also, don't even install that RT shit."

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:08 am

In case anyone gives a hoot I'm trying to install this shit on a Centos 5.5 install now since Red Hat won't let you use yum without registering the RHEL install.

I'll let you know if I can get this shit working but odds are I'm a retard and Linux will be all like lololool NOPE

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 am

Linux fucking sucks.

Call me a nub but at least with Windows I don't have to go to some fucking Russian message board that was a 12th page Google hit to find a solution to some obscure Perl issue.

I just wanna be lazy and double-click an .exe file and have everything work and not worry about dependencies and repositories and unknown errors and shitty / out-of-date documentation with broken reference links.

Have a problem? Click here!
*link gives 404, obviously*
*spends hours finding and fixing the magic line of code that will fix everything*

I'm just saying. All of this Linux shit was written by hippies and Europeans.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Last line made me lol.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Dunno man, installing redmine was pretty straightforward despite the huge list of dependencies it had to pull in. The only thing I really had to do manually was configure Apache to actually serve it.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.