Merk answers your intraweb questions.

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Merk answers your intraweb questions.

Post by Riot » Tue May 10, 2011 3:06 pm

I read Bossypants by Tina Fey. Her writing style is very very similar to the way you write on the Internet. I have a hunch you are the same person, but that would mean I have a crush on you.

1.) Are you okay with me having a potential crush on you?
2.) What do you think about Tina Fey?
3.) Are you Tina Fey?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue May 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Riot wrote:I read Bossypants by Tina Fey. Her writing style is very very similar to the way you write on the Internet. I have a hunch you are the same person, but that would mean I have a crush on you.

1.) Are you okay with me having a potential crush on you?
2.) What do you think about Tina Fey?
3.) Are you Tina Fey?
1) Yeah that's fine with me. I mean you're married so I don't have to worry about any advances. To be honest I figured you had a crush on me already.

2) You know back in early 2002-2003 I was able to appreciate her milfy looks but now I'm just not feeling it. I'm not really in to celebrities to be honest; it's one of those things where I can't bring myself to obsess over something I can never have.

3) No. No I am not. But wouldn't it be weird if like you posted on a message board where some high profile celebrity was a member but no one knew their true identity?

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Merk wrote:...if you have questions about how you're supposed to conduct yourself in regards to a specific listserv then that's a question I cannot answer
Yes, this was my question. Basically how do you be the listserv smart-ass without crossing the line so much. A fraternity is a great comparison to the listserv in question; just a bunch of young bros.

Sincerely,

Dave101
Listserv all-star 2011

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 am

Welp, really I would muck it up with your bros over e-mail like you would in person. That's more or less what I did - in fact I'd say that my e-mails pretty much flowed exactly like how I post on here. I take it this is probably some ROTC listserv? Pepper your prose with some military in-jokes and you'll be right as rain.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 11, 2011 12:51 pm

I wouldn't object to a weekly newsletter called "Pepper your prose." You could make some big dollaz teaching nubs like me how to engage the internet on a web forum.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 11, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm not sure if things like that can be taught and even if they were I don't think I'd be qualified for them. I mean, yeah you can teach fancy words, alliterations, and subtle rhyming schemes but it's hard to give someone a sense of humor.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed May 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Merk wrote:I'm not sure if things like that can be taught and even if they were I don't think I'd be qualified for them. I mean, yeah you can teach fancy words, alliterations, and subtle rhyming schemes but it's hard to give someone a sense of humor.
The aim is peppering, not cooking from scratch. I'm sure you have some relevant tips for up-and-comers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

1. May I help writing "Peppering Your Prose?" This peppering is sure to help posters learn to make people salty.

2. Have you heard of this game? http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/ What is your opinion on the overall concept of this game and its artistic message? What about its actual real world consequences? Would you play this game?

3. Have you signed up for EVO?

4. Are you still coming to Fort Wayne sometime soon?

5. How was your day?

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:05 am

Merk wrote: I take it this is probably some ROTC listserv?
nooohoho. nope. You think you can BS around on a military organization's listserv?

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Riot wrote:1. May I help writing "Peppering Your Prose?" This peppering is sure to help posters learn to make people salty.

2. Have you heard of this game? http://www.stfj.net/art/2009/loselose/ What is your opinion on the overall concept of this game and its artistic message? What about its actual real world consequences? Would you play this game?

3. Have you signed up for EVO?

4. Are you still coming to Fort Wayne sometime soon?

5. How was your day?
1) I have no plans to write anything on how to improve one's prose on a message board. If you want to help me do nothing then by all means you have my blessing!

2) Alright so this game basically makes two points: The author assumes that people believe killing is ethically correct if you are awarded for it and that technology has become advanced enough that we as people cherish our data over our physical possessions.

I don't agree with the author's first point, not necessarily on its premise, but rather the assumption that he/she makes. I think there's a good chunk of people in the world who refuse to kill even if its for the greater good or if there is an outstanding award. If you've ever read Ender's Game, the end of the book pretty much makes this exact same point, it even uses the a good ol' fashioned "innocent alien" allegory that this game uses.

The author makes a point that the aliens don't shoot at you to frame the aliens as an innocent species. However, through the vague and arbitrary "classic game mechanics" the author uses to convey a loose story, one can easily say that the aliens are a horrible race of battering rams aimed at murdering thousands of innocent lives on the ship captain's home planet. What I'm saying is, this means of storytelling can go both ways but the author wants you to think about it a certain way to support their agenda.

The second point is very obviously agreeable. Of course there exists data and information that is more valuable than physical assets and it has been that way since ancient history. Hell, we have laws today against insider trading (using information unknown to the public to help buy/sell stock) on the stock market because acting upon certain knowledge can create an unfair advantage. Data on a computer is really an extension of all the information sources we've had forever (text, pictures, sounds, etc) and losing important data can certainly have a huge impact.

However you value your data is up to you. If I were to play this game on a freshly installed Windows machine, I couldn't give a shit about which default Windows text, picture, and HTML files get deleted. I would never play this game on my machine right now because yes, there are things on this computer that I consider valuable. If data never had value there would literally be no reason for the huge science of IT security to exist.

I believe the author is mistaken in that they make the point of "what real objects do we value less than our data." Value is a human construct (there's that term again!) and nothing that ever existed has ever had any inherent value. Nothing is set, whatever point the author is trying make that something intangible like data can be more or less valuable I believe is completely unsound.

In conclusion, Lose/Lose is a hipster fantasy. It's a game designed by an artsy bloke who wants the audience to personify information and make some sort of anti-violence statement. I'm sure the author's target audience will love it to death, but I can't bring myself to place a high value on it.

3) I am not going to participate in any of the tournaments. The payout schedule is so top-heavy that it's really hard for me to expect a positive return. You can play casuals and watch for free so I plan on playing in casuals and saving my $60 for another delicious all-day buffet.

4) I will be in Fort Wayne on Friday afternoon! I'll be in town through Saturday and most of Sunday. Give me a call or text sometime! Marvel baby!

5) My day so far has been pretty good. I slept til noon and my girlfriend bought me a cheeseburger. I feel like I shouldn't have eaten the sandwich but I'll make up for it with exercise and healthy eating later in the day.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 12, 2011 1:11 pm

DAVE101 wrote:
Merk wrote: I take it this is probably some ROTC listserv?
nooohoho. nope. You think you can BS around on a military organization's listserv?
I honestly have no idea. I never knew anyone in college who was in the ROTC.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 12, 2011 2:17 pm

Fyi even spectating is 50 for EVO and then 10 bucks per game entry. I'm just playing to say I competed ar EVO.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu May 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Merk says, "FYI - there seems to be some confusion - if you just want to watch and play casuals, you do NOT have to pay the cover. The $50 cover is for tournament participants only."

Fight.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu May 12, 2011 2:25 pm

""
Is the BYOC section free?
Yes. You don’t have the pay the venue fee to play on the casuals-set ups. You’re more than welcome to bring your own system. The tv’s are provided but keep in mind they are in limited quantities. Try not to have a setup where you’re alone playing the cpu when there’s 20 people on a single setup waiting in line. From time to time people bring their cabs from home or supergun set ups as well.
""

""
I’m going just to watch, or to support a friend. Do I have to pay the cover charge or any fees?
No, the whole weekend is FREE to watch and use the BYOC area. Other special events, like beta test games however will require a badge to play.
""

http://evo2k.com/?page_id=378

pwned much?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 12, 2011 2:57 pm

Sigh. Well maybe this changed because there was a big thread on srk about the cover charge :/ that's dumb. Oh well I'll get a badge and get to play SECRET GAMES I guess and get owned by some people in mvc3.