Riot's first day of teaching thread

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Riot's first day of teaching thread

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:38 am

Riot,

Please update this thread with a trip report of your first day of teaching. I, along with many others, are very interested in how you will perform in the classroom and how you will direct the next generation of kids into being productive Americans. Please let us in on all the interesting little events that come to you day after day.

Regards,

Internet

Merk

Re: Riot's first day of teaching thread

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:00 pm

WELL RIOT HOW WAS IT?!?!?!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:02 pm

It went pretty well I suppose. I had to read them rules and stuff and that was pretty boring. The first day is is always kinda hard because nobody wants to talk, and since I am not a jaded, seasoned teacher I tried to have discussions with them about stuff that was probably a little too over their head as 7th graders. I teach a class called Literacy, which is new this year, thus I have the freedom to teach what I want. So I tried to explain what literacy is and that it is not just reading and writing novels which most people think it is. We talked about cultural literacy, computer literacy, functional literacy, etc. etc. though since they are just 7th graders for the most part I think they're stuck in the idea that it is just what people literally read.

I was telling them that we "read" everything around us all day every day, and that reading is more than just words on a page. I talked about how we read a commercial on TV, or how we read can read a symbol, like an American Flag. We talked about what different kinds of media there are and what is popular these days and why (internet, TV, music, etc. is more popular than newspapers, billboards, magazines, etc.). And we talked about these key points that I'm going to return to throughout the year as we study different things: http://www.medialit.org/pdf/mlk/14A_CCKQposter.pdf

That class is about nonfiction and I'm taking kind of a media route and we're going to analyze authorial intent, propaganda, gender roles, symbolism, bias, persuasion, etc.

I have block schedules I basically have 4 hour and a half blocks a day, alternating between Red day and White day. I kind of like only having a few subjects a day, but it's still a lot of prep time which is the main part that sucks. I get up at 6, work from 7-4 or 5, then come home and plan for the next days. Poop!

But other than that, nobody died! I think they think I am nerdy and weird and awkward, but who doesn't.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Riot that genuinely sounds like a fun class and I hope that your chitlins learn a thing or two.

Oh and welcome to having no more free time and hating your life! You were a good friend, little Riot. Enjoy teaching, thinking about teaching, placating the misses, and trying to sleep. Maybe we can be friends again in the summer!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Riot wrote:It went pretty well I suppose. I had to read them rules and stuff and that was pretty boring. The first day is is always kinda hard because nobody wants to talk, and since I am not a jaded, seasoned teacher I tried to have discussions with them about stuff that was probably a little too over their head as 7th graders. I teach a class called Literacy, which is new this year, thus I have the freedom to teach what I want. So I tried to explain what literacy is and that it is not just reading and writing novels which most people think it is. We talked about cultural literacy, computer literacy, functional literacy, etc. etc. though since they are just 7th graders for the most part I think they're stuck in the idea that it is just what people literally read.

I was telling them that we "read" everything around us all day every day, and that reading is more than just words on a page. I talked about how we read a commercial on TV, or how we read can read a symbol, like an American Flag. We talked about what different kinds of media there are and what is popular these days and why (internet, TV, music, etc. is more popular than newspapers, billboards, magazines, etc.). And we talked about these key points that I'm going to return to throughout the year as we study different things: http://www.medialit.org/pdf/mlk/14A_CCKQposter.pdf

That class is about nonfiction and I'm taking kind of a media route and we're going to analyze authorial intent, propaganda, gender roles, symbolism, bias, persuasion, etc.

I have block schedules I basically have 4 hour and a half blocks a day, alternating between Red day and White day. I kind of like only having a few subjects a day, but it's still a lot of prep time which is the main part that sucks. I get up at 6, work from 7-4 or 5, then come home and plan for the next days. Poop!

But other than that, nobody died! I think they think I am nerdy and weird and awkward, but who doesn't.
Oh captain! My captain!

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Teach them to read arrows at 800 BPM

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 am

Wait, you're a teacher now? The last time I remember meeting you, you were still but a young high school lad. What miserable creature have you grown into!?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:36 pm

LikeableRodent wrote:Wait, you're a teacher now? The last time I remember meeting you, you were still but a young high school lad. What miserable creature have you grown into!?
Now I teach them not to get in people's 1337 vans.

=P

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Riot how was the second day? The second day is usually when you actually start teaching shit.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Riot due to your lack of posts in the last week or so I can OFFICIALLY confirm that your teaching job has effectively ended your posting career.

Good night sweet Riot, the internet somehow feels less enjoyable without you.

Behold! Here lies the king of posts. May he rest in peace.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Maybe he'll just be a weekend post warrior now. Merk you never post on the weekend I always miss you on Saturday and Sunday and continuously look forward to Monday for new posts :(

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:53 pm

Yes, you do make a good point. I pretty post while I'm at work. A good chunk of my shtuff is from 8:30 to 5:30.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Yeah nobody posts on the weekends and I just sit there and f5 all day. Also, Merk you don't post after 5pm, Chad only posts between 1pm-4pm usually, and then Potter says "lol" at like 5am, and SDP and Joe respond to Merk at around midnight.

I can't get on the computer til I get home around 4:30-5 =( Then I'm so tired that I usually check boards and respond, maybe play a game for an hour, watch TV, try to plan stuff for the next day, and fall asleep and go to bed by 10pm. I guess I just don't really want to talk about my job after being there for 10 hours a day! Nothing really that funny happens; the kids are pretty good (though my "remediation" class kids are talking nonstop and I don't really know how to make them stop very effectively) and the school system is so good that not a lot of crazy kids are here doing crazy things. It is very hard to always be referencing standards to teach as you try and plan 90-minute lessons that aren't super boring, all the while keeping up on grades and attendance and meetings every day after school, and keeping kids behaving during class, etc. etc. It is just kind of exhausting!

But hey I guess they think I am cool and maybe some of them will talk about me fondly in 10 years when they're sitting in their dorm rooms. They will say "that is the guy who diagrammed the plot pyramid for Twilight in class that day."

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 am

Riot wrote:Yeah nobody posts on the weekends and I just sit there and f5 all day. Also, Merk you don't post after 5pm, Chad only posts between 1pm-4pm usually, and then Potter says "lol" at like 5am, and SDP and Joe respond to Merk at around midnight.

I can't get on the computer til I get home around 4:30-5 =( Then I'm so tired that I usually check boards and respond, maybe play a game for an hour, watch TV, try to plan stuff for the next day, and fall asleep and go to bed by 10pm. I guess I just don't really want to talk about my job after being there for 10 hours a day! Nothing really that funny happens; the kids are pretty good (though my "remediation" class kids are talking nonstop and I don't really know how to make them stop very effectively) and the school system is so good that not a lot of crazy kids are here doing crazy things. It is very hard to always be referencing standards to teach as you try and plan 90-minute lessons that aren't super boring, all the while keeping up on grades and attendance and meetings every day after school, and keeping kids behaving during class, etc. etc. It is just kind of exhausting!

But hey I guess they think I am cool and maybe some of them will talk about me fondly in 10 years when they're sitting in their dorm rooms. They will say "that is the guy who diagrammed the plot pyramid for Twilight in class that day."
Twilight is a plot sinkhole.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Twilight is a sinkhole.
You added an extra word there, Chad.

Riot say "hi" to all the ladies for me. Don't tell Chris Hansen.