Riot's first day of teaching thread

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Riot's first day of teaching thread

Post by Merk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:54 am

But still, a C- is really shitty. I figured Woodpile would up its standards and reward students with at least a B- or better.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:57 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:We didn't get C- parties at Canterbury. NO PARTIES FOR THE WEAK-MINDED AMIRITE

But we never got fog delays, either.

Fuck public schools.
A lot of people are choosing to move from Canterbury to my school.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:53 pm

It's cause you work there, obv.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 am

Questions for Riot:

Do you every receive gifts from your students for being a teacher? What percentage of your students, if any, have somehow given you a tip for your services? What was the nicest tangible gift you have received? What was the most expensive? Being a part time employee, do you feel that you should be given a tip from parents for good work?

I worked in IT for about 4 years and never received more than the occasional soda or hot tea. This isn't a complaint. I believe I tip fairly well, but I think the whole idea of tipping employees because they're paid less than minimum wage is stupid. Companies should pay the employees a reasonable salary, and tips should be left for good work. Maybe this already happens and I just suck at IT.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:05 pm

When I worked at IU as your regular ol' computer lab geek some Asian girl wanted to tip me for fixing her computer up in Eiganmann.

I did not take the tip.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Merk wrote:When I worked at IU as your regular ol' computer lab geek some Asian girl wanted to tip me for fixing her computer up in Eiganmann.

I did not take the tip.
Just the tip?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:
Merk wrote:When I worked at IU as your regular ol' computer lab geek some Asian girl wanted to tip me for fixing her computer up in Eiganmann.

I did not take the tip.
Just the tip?
http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

What do you guys think? I'm not sure I've ever tipped roadside assistance.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Questions for Riot:

Do you every receive gifts from your students for being a teacher? What percentage of your students, if any, have somehow given you a tip for your services? What was the nicest tangible gift you have received? What was the most expensive? Being a part time employee, do you feel that you should be given a tip from parents for good work?

I worked in IT for about 4 years and never received more than the occasional soda or hot tea. This isn't a complaint. I believe I tip fairly well, but I think the whole idea of tipping employees because they're paid less than minimum wage is stupid. Companies should pay the employees a reasonable salary, and tips should be left for good work. Maybe this already happens and I just suck at IT.
lol tips and extra compensation? HAH. Indiana Board of Education apparently already thinks teachers are overpaid so we are getting more cuts and stupid hurdles to jump through. Heaven forbid teachers actually get compensated for all the extra work they put in.

No I do not get tips. The closest thing is when kids bring me nasty creations they make in Home Ec in between classes. I usually smile and thank them and promise I'll eat it later and then promptly dispose of it. I got an Orange Julius today, which is better than some other things.... especially this nasty gravy/bacon mix inside a little bread cup thing. Ugh.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Hell, I love it when kids bring me food from home ec. It's always quite delicious.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 am

Everyone seems to be quick to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Day, and I regularly hear teachers referred to as heroes. That's all well and good, but I wonder if these kind words and appreciation days make people feel better about being cheap and not paying teachers enough. If teachers are heroes, why do we whine and cry as soon as their oh-so-precious wallet might take a small hit?

You think teachers are underpaid heroes? Either pay them more, or stop pretending to be a champion of teacher appreciation. I'd really appreciate it.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Riot what the fuck do you do during the summer? Is it literally wake up at noon, play videogames in your underwear while the wife is out working, shower immediately before said wife gets home, make dinner together, play videogames while she grades in the Marvel room, watch Colbert, and then go to bed?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Please answer my fucking question so we have something to talk about on this website!

lolololol spot on ITS A DOG

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:35 pm

I answered your question! You are basically right. I wake up around 10, eat breakfast or lunch and watch last night's Daily Show and Colbert Report on my DVR, then go up and play videogames/read internets for awhile while Meg goes to teach a class at IPFW for a few hours. Then she comes home, maybe we eat, maybe I play more games, maybe we watch TV, she goes to bed and I stay up for an extra hour or two on the internet or game, then I go to bayd and repeat.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:41 pm

What are your plans for the summer?