Happy Birthday Ryujin!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Happy Birthday Ryujin!

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:31 pm

I hope your 26th is going well. How does it feel to be good at Beatmania?!

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Re: Happy Birthday Ryujin!

Post by Frisbez » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Not to be mean or anything, but do you ever feel like you're talking to yourself on these forums? I'm at work all day so I don't have much better to do than browse random dance game forums every once in a while, but it seems like this place is pretty dead...at least in comparison to what I've gathered it was a few years ago based on the number of threads...haha

Anyway happy birthday...although I'm pretty sure he lives in Ohio.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, he does live in Ohio and has posted once on this message board. There's a subtle level of humor in birthday threads for people who have posted once if at all. But anyway! To answer your question, I do feel like I'm talking to myself pretty much all the time on this message board. Cruising this forum helps me get through the work day to be honest. Most of my posts are from 8:00am to 5:00pm - I may check this site once after I get home.

indyDDR.com has pretty much turned into the Merk/Riot/ChocoboJoe show with special guests the ITG kids.

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:09 pm

I know what you mean about getting through the work day...haha. Although a decline in posting seems to be the general trend for a lot of music game sites. What do you do for a living Mr. Merk? I will admit that I'm merely a lowly college student, although this summer I'm interning at a communications company.

edit: Oh yea, I'm also one of those ITG kids.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:26 pm

I work for a company in downtown Indy that, more or less, does IT support for small businesses in the Indianapolis area. Basically, companies will outsource their IT department to us instead of hiring a full-time dedicated IT staff.

My title is "Associate Systems Analyst" and that involves a lot of Windows systems administration through Activate Directory. Additionally I am involved in "Break-Fix" tech support for our clients which means that when anything goes wrong with a computer/printer/phone we are the first people they call. Needless to say, I'm sort of a jack of all trades master of none sort of guy. If you want to put it in perspective of the IT industry as a whole - I am Tier 1 / Tier 2 tech support!

Your internship will help immensely in your future job search so good for you! Take your studies seriously, but find some time to party here and there, knowing the right people is almost as important as knowing your major.

But yeah, I totally agree with your view on the music game posting situation. It's pretty much all just die-hards and people who have been around forever with no where else to go. I fit in the latter category!

Frisbez
Standard
Standard

Post by Frisbez » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm doing alright with the whole "balance" thing. This job actually has me wanting to go back to school. I don't think I will be able to sit in an office for 40 hours a week for the rest of my life.

IT support sounds like it wouldn't be too bad, although it appears that you are bored somewhat by it? A lot of problem solving I would imagine. But I can also see how having to instruct people who are clueless regarding computers might be frustrating/boring

I feel a little weird just posting random conversations on a message board but I'm bored so...whatever.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Happy Birthday.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 am

lol Ohio

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Frisbez wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think I'm doing alright with the whole "balance" thing. This job actually has me wanting to go back to school. I don't think I will be able to sit in an office for 40 hours a week for the rest of my life.

IT support sounds like it wouldn't be too bad, although it appears that you are bored somewhat by it? A lot of problem solving I would imagine. But I can also see how having to instruct people who are clueless regarding computers might be frustrating/boring c

I feel a little weird just posting random conversations on a message board but I'm bored so...whatever.
Yeahhhh it's not too bad. We're a business to business company so people are for the most part pretty civil. I'd say I enjoy what I do; it's a very reactive job and I have days where no one has any problems and everything is just peachy. I'm happy I can enjoy a decent amount of time cruising message boards.

I am surprised by how people can break their shit though! I've run into some pretty strange situations that have been compounded by the fact that the end user doesn't know a lot about computers so they have a very difficult time trying to explain their problem to me. I've also been dumbfounded by how some companies have their IT infrastructure set up - case in point, one client had their company's website hosted on a user's workstation - not a server - but a workstation. They would be absolutely fucked if that user, you know, broke the workstation or turned it off during the night or thought that going to www.getrichquick.com and downloading PrintMoneyLOL.exe was a good idea.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 am

lol at this thread because in retrospect I really, really fucking hated Apparatus but I had nothing to compare it to soooooooo I sort of forced myself to like it.

Happy 30th Ryujin! Hope your Beet-game is still as golden as it used to be!