When did you start playing and who was your mentor?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

XeRo
Standard
Standard

When did you start playing and who was your mentor?

Post by XeRo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:15 pm

I don't know if anyone's already posted a topic like this before but I thought it'd be fun for old times to see when a lot of us old retired "vets" started this game and who or what it was that got us to start playing it to begin with. That being said, I'll start this off.

I started playing DDR in 98...Wasn't really hard core on it until around 99 though. I honestly and sadly used to make fun of others when I saw them playing DDR at the arcades because I didn't play myself and I have always been a real dancer at clubs and home. One evening I stopped in at Putt Putt before I headed out to the club to play a little MvC 2 and stopped to watch some people play. I was making some un-called for comments and the person who was playing stopped and asked me "if you're so damned good why don't you try it?" So in that instance, I decided to make a run for the money. I got onto the machine and picked a song and started out on heavy. It wasn't as easy as I had expected.....Needless to say, after trying it one time I had become hooked.

As far as mentors go, I don't really have one per-say when it comes to the game really. But I do have a few people I'd like to mention that definately helped me and pursuaded me to play along the way. So to name a few, Erin, Erica, Joe, JOE, Kevin, Mexi, Scott, Merk, and Matt. You guys all know you're great players and good friends. So if I had to say I had a mentor, I'd have to say all you guys inspired me to become better and continue to play for the time that I did. Anyways, anyone else care to post on this topic? I'd love to see what everyone else's input is on this.

- XeRo

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: When did you start playing and who was your mentor?

Post by Riot » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Mmmm memories. Yeah, like you, I always kinda poked fun at the players I saw at the arcade until I bought the the home version for myself with DDR Max when it came while I was waiting for Final Fantasy XI to come. I got hooked, and convinced all my friends (who were in the same boat as me, thinking it was lame) and we all got addicted my sophomore/junior year of high school in 2002-2003. That's when I started talking to Merk again (we'd been friends from like 1st-5th grade) but then he went off to middle school since he was a year older, so we'd kinda fallen out of contact. He had been playing for a couple years before I discovered it, so when we used to start going to Tokens n Tickets together (since he was banned from Putt Putt by Mark loooool), I guess he was my mentor, along with anybody else good at the time that lived in Fort Wayne, like Adam. I was pretty dedicated and got better pretty quick once I finally got to heavy mode after a few months, and we had a race to see who could AA all the 9 footers first, so that kept me motivated to get better.

After I went to college and discovered Counter-Strike and competitive online gaming, I kind of fell out of DDR because it was a lot of money and I was falling out of shape. And now I haven't played for years =( not enough money, too busy, too much fat on me

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Riot wrote: He had been playing for a couple years before I discovered it, so when we used to start going to Tokens n Tickets together (since he was banned from Putt Putt by Mark loooool),
Good times.

I didn't really have a mentor since I started on vacation in San Francisco and played at home for like 2 years til I discovered Wayne Rec's 4th+ and PuttPutt's Max.

Played with Jeff, Teddy, Joe, Scott, Erica, Travis, TAQA DAVID IN A STOOL, Adam, Casey, and a bunch of others I guess.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:16 pm

2008, Mad Matt NoBarKid

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 pm

paul sadowski/dark xuxa
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Glarthob
Standard
Standard

Post by Glarthob » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:09 pm

2005/ or / 2006 ( idr )

Anyways, I consider a lot of people to have helped me become where I am today.
First, FattoxTheGreat. He was my rival for the longest time, but he injured his knee and had to stop playing seriously.

Katy and Mike played a big role in me getting better too, they were the first "seriously good" players I had ever seen.

Next was Mexi Mike and DBI. (I'm not sure what his actual name was)
They were l33t.

After a few fort wayne visits, I got to see some heavy competitive players, Ron and Antonio. And I look forward to a day I can play against them in a tournament. Unfortunately I don't think they play as much anymore. :[

The reason I still play now, is probably for the active itg indy community; Craig, Dave and Joey.

As far as a mentor, FattoxTheGreat was probably the most helpful, but everyones helped me learn new tricks and play styles on how to improve myself.
Fluffyumpkins wrote:I love r23 so much. Playing custom songs has made DDR new and exciting.

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Riot wrote: (since he was banned from Putt Putt by Mark loooool),
Oh man I had totally forgotten about that. I asked Mark to explain to me why Merk was banned so many times but I just couldn't get it. Me and Merk always had good conversation. It was the foundation for our relationship!

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:07 pm

the first time I played was during a IPFW anime club meeting lol it was pretty lame

it caught my interest enough for me to buy it on PS2 though, and a few months later I tried it out at the arcade. Met a lot of cool people and made a lot of good friends. Never really had a mentor, but Shannon and I would always kinda compete in a friendly way, pushing each other to get better.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 pm

I started in '01 with some of the Bloomington folks. I still remember hitching a ride with Jim, Casey, and Shammers to play on the Extreme machine that was one of the first few in the US. Road trip to Wright State University! After that, I got to know lots of Bloomington players like Clint, Jay, Kyler, Jim, Paul, Shannon, and a few names I'm probably forgetting. There was a Louisville seen developing at the same time which I greatly enjoyed including Zach, James, and Christian. As the years went by, my skill developed. I was never top-tier, but I enjoyed a good tournament none the less. I met Merk and Riot shortly after, but this was the beginning of the end for my arrow smashing days.

Interestingly enough, nearly all of my friends I know through DDR/PIU in some form even though none of us take these games seriously anymore. Dancing games are more of a social outlet for me than a hobby. We DDR folks tend to have similar hobbies beyond rhythm games, so I try to stay in the loop. Will 2010 be a DDR Renaissance?

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 am

Perhaps? I know I'd like to get a meeting together for all of the old players. Including the ones I've never even met before. Anyone have any ideas or plans as to when and where we could do such a thing for the fun of it sometime soon?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:53 pm

I don't care enough to try and arrange something, but I'll attend if someone puts it together.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:10 pm

now that i have a jorb, i have half a mind to actually do this.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:13 pm

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37 am

Riot was my mentor.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 pm

ian flynnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy