Building Computer >_<

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Building Computer >_<

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 pm

I want to build a computer sometime using a weird/unique case like you see on the internet.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:21 pm

chocobojoe wrote:I want to build a computer sometime using a weird/unique case like you see on the internet.
http://www.wimp.com/xboxpro/

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:07 pm

holy carp that's amazing

I have a non-working spongebob tv:

I could gut it and convert it into an all-in-one unit

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:35 am

Finally bought this bad boy >_<

Intel X25-M G2 (SSD)
Intel E8500 3.16 GHz dual core
nVidia 9800 GTX
4 gigs of ram

Took me forever to put it together. Like 4 hours of hardware and another 2 of software. I discovered a few interesting this while doing it.. such as.. if you don't plug in the power button on your case, the computer won't start at all. And... damn fan power plugs are hard to plug in... and wow my case has a red hdd? light on it that lights up my whole ceiling in red ^_^

I only plugged in 3 of the case fans. There's actually a 4th, but I may not plug that in at all.

I accidently bought the notebook SSD. So I've got a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" hard disk both in 5" drive bays hanging by a single screw each. Fortunately I found some drive bays to fix this on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817994080
groovestats
<3 blackcat

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:33 am

Oh hey, I just bought my new computer too. I haven't put it together yet cause I'm trying to get the school to put me in the MSDN Academic Alliance so I can get Windows for free :P If not I'm going to have someone from IPFW pick me up a cheapo copy.

I got:
AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.2 GHz
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 HDD
4 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Radeon HD 4870
blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW combo drive

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Jesus Christ Mike.

You are a developer and have worked in IT for what I assume has been a couple of years now and you JUST built your first machine.

I am amazed.

Joe hook me up with some cheap 'puter parts bro let's shoot some dice in the alley and take the doo-rag offa your bean head.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

ROFL

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Guys I pulled the trigger on this video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814127478

I am having buyer's remorse. Thoughts?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 pm

It's not bad and will certainly run Starcraft 2 and whatever else you want to play pretty darn well, but I'd say it's about 10-20% better than one of my videocards I bought in 2008, not SLI'd together though. I think you will be relatively happy with it though considering your step up from whatever poop you are using now.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 pm

Yeah it's like four times as good as the card I have now at about half the price.

Patience is such a flippin' virtue in the computer hardware world. That $400 video card? Oh just wait 6 months and it'll be like $99.99

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:32 am

Did you at least get the combo deal for the free game coupon?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Hell yeah bro I think I'm gonna get Street Fighter 4 for PC so I can practice some on the internet instead of just with Mr. Riot.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:16 pm

Oh no wait, don't do that, they have a copy of SFIV PC on clearance at Target here for $10, I'll pick it up for you and ship it to you.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Yeah Merk, in the past I've always bought computers from dell for like $2000. This one was $1000 (although I used my existing monitors and keyboard/mouse).

My experiences with this computer so far have been very good.

I started installing Visual Studio 2008 which usually takes at least an hour, went to go pee, went back and it was done. Then I double clicked it to open for the first time which also usually takes forever and it popped up instantly. Pretty sure that's the SSD being awesome.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Mike I am very happy that things are working out with your new machine :)

I am surprised that you've in the past have blown $2,000 on a Dell. I guess as a poor middle-class nerd I've always been cost-conscious and even to this day, in my baller lifestyle, I still refuse to buy shit unless there's a deal or a sale going on. Case in point, don't let me buy your groceries, I'll buy food if it's on sale even if I don't regularly eat it. There was a $3.00 frozen pizza sale at Kroger not too long ago and I could not physically pass that deal up. It wasn't like shitty Jack's frozen pizza or anything. It was middle-tier Red Baron / Premium Select type shit. But I digress...

I'm in the process of building a new machine myself and hope to have purchased all the parts with my next paycheck. I already have a case/monitor/input devices/hard-drive from my old machine and I'm getting a mobo/ram/processor/video card (which I already purchased, see above). Overall cost is somewhere around $550 which is pretty good I'd say. I think the specs are something like this (off the top of my head):

2.7ghz Quad Core AMD processor
8 gigs of DDR3 ram
Some AMD/DDR3 Asus motherboard
1 gig / 256-bit video card

I tried watching a replay for Starcraft II on my computer yesterday and it was fairly choppy and really detracted from the experience. Hopefully with my new machine I'll be able to watch fluid replays and (eventually) play the game without having to worry about losing because my computer blows ass.