OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 am

How horrible of an idea is it to just uproot your life and move out to Denver or California? I'm confident that I've hit my ceiling at my current job and the company I'm at is basically just an income stream for the ownership and there's no drive to expand the business or give me any sort of interesting problems to solve.

How much would you pay for a dude that's got 6 years of experience in a data center / service provider environment with a CCNP and a working knowledge of VoIP?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:34 am

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 am

I was looking at real estate prices around where I was in California last week. I died a little on the inside.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:27 pm

I have turned down several opportunities in the West Coast due to the cost of living primarily. As for the concern of having hit the ceiling at your current job, I would say look at what other opportunities are available in the area and if they would be legitimately better than the one that you have now.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:11 pm

If housing is gonna cost double youz best get a job that pays double!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:36 am

Double? When I searched for houses around where I was (Orange County, CA), a similar sized house to mine WITHOUT a basement was nearly 4x my current home value!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Ho wrote:Double? When I searched for houses around where I was (Orange County, CA), a similar sized house to mine WITHOUT a basement was nearly 4x my current home value!
Yeah. I guess I was referring to the Thornton area near Denver that Merk was talking about at one point. Denver and other west coast places are indeed 3 to 4x as much. Yeowch. Gotta find a significant other to charge rent!

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:52 pm

white people 9: the whitening
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:34 am

Potter wrote:white people 9: the whitening
I resemble that remark!

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 am

Riot I think you're kinda sorta right but you gotta keep in mind that my wage wouldn't necessarily have to increase proportionally to the increase in cost of real estate. Take Chad for example, Chad basically had no where near the amount of money to get a place in Denver in his bank account but he was able to take the equity in his home and use that as a hefty down payment on a place. IIRC his mortgage doubled but he got basically a 30% raise plus he's got the Yeye money now

Basically, as your equity grows you can afford better places to live even if your income doesn't necessarily reach baller status. Having a dual income household is a huge plus too as long as you're willing to give up your freedom!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Yeah I know but that assumes you have a large enough nest egg/down payment to "get in" effectively. Unless you put a lot down and have a decent amount saved, you're going to barely be able to live check to check assuming a similar or even 30% higher paying job like you mentioned. I don't think you can honestly afford to go to Denver and be single or not have a roommate unless you live in a smaller apartment, which might be okay for you! I'm going to guess you don't have a ton of equity in your current house and you mentioned before that you never have all that much in the bank!

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Yeah if I move to Denver and don't sell my house for a shit load then I'm gonna be apartment slumming for sure.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 am

House prices in Seattle have doubled since I moved out here. Not all the west coast is completely unaffordable, but it's getting harder and harder to get a foothold in one of the major metro areas unless you're a fan of 1.5+ hour commutes. Denver isn't yet as bad as us though.