OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

Post by Riot » Wed May 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Merk wrote:Does anyone here have any experience / advice on asking for a raise? It's either raise time or GTFO time for me but I am so cripplingly socially awkward that I don't know how to go about asking for a raise.
You just got a raise!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:46 am

I actually enjoy working where I am at, I just know that they aren't paying me what I am worth and instead of asking for a raise I'm going to go for the "Put up or I GTFO" route. I like to think that it's a win-win either way for me.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 am

Welp, I got an offer for 60k, I negotiated with them and they're going to go up to 65k which is 30% more than what I'm doing now.

Not sure what I'm going to do, I'll let my current employer counter but God damn a 30% bump is reallllllllllllly tempting.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:49 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Decided to go the coward route and stay where I am and get more money yayyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:38 pm

How horrible of an idea is it to move to Avon?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:53 pm

I hope you enjoy terrible congested suburban traffic...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 pm

That's the thing though, I don't enjoy that but the neighborhood is super safe, the schools are great, and it has all the amenities that I'm used sans a Trader Joe's

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:50 pm

You might look at Plainfield instead of Avon. The traffic's not as bad, and it's otherwise similar. It's not quite as built up, though, so you won't have all the commercial amenities of Avon.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:39 pm

I have looked into Avon and Plainfield. The issue I am having though is that a large chunk of the location is stuck with the Comcast/AT&T Oligopoly and I prefer to get something better without spending a ton of money. Zionsville is a possibility but I need to see what fiber facilities they have in the areas before I can make a decision.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:51 pm

You seriously expect to get mainstream FTTH anywhere in the Indianapolis metro area? I only know of a few rural telecoms really even playing with it.

AT&T has FTTH in some newer Carmel neighborhoods, but it's restricted to conventional U-Verse speeds for marketing reasons. Comcast and Bright House have relatively dense FTTN deployments in most areas with DOCSIS 3 capabilities. They're probably your best bet for heavy residential usage, but you have to deal with the cable company, then. Aside from some apartment complexes with competitive service and wireless providers, I think you're going to be stuck with the conventional wireline duopoly in most places around here.

Enterprise/business metro fiber is of course all over the place, but you don't want to pay for it I'm sure.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:47 pm

What the fuck are you guys doing that requires more bandwidth that what the standard cables provide? Like, I get it, you hate the cable company and their awful customer service, everyone does, but when there isn't an outage in the area then I don't have any problems and I can download and stream all the shit that I want.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:48 pm

I would suspect it's mostly hate for the cable company. DOCSIS generally works fine, and Comcast and Bright House have mostly cut out their shenanigans at this point. You definitely won't get your advertised "up to" speeds in many neighborhoods during peak times, especially on the higher tier plans, but that's going to be the case with any oversubscribed consumer service. Some areas are better or worse than others, though. Potter lives in an area with relatively low cable modem usage and basically always gets more than his advertised speeds while any plan over the 10Mbps option is apparently worthless on Comcast where I currently live because they can't deliver it. Comcast has some weird, nebulous capping scheme, but I don't think it has automatic overage charges.

U-Verse, on the other hand, has all sorts of issues. That stupid router that they make you use does all sorts of terrible things, and VDSL has comparatively high (though relatively consistent) latency which upsets players of twitch online games like shooters. Around here, AT&T seems to be able to deliver their comparatively moderate advertised speeds most of the time, but it does vary. AT&T's upstream connectivity is quite congested, though. Forcibly routing around certain peerings using e.g. a VPN can make the difference between the crappies Netflix stream available and the highest quality HD during peak hours. Comcast has this problem, too. Bright House less so. Fastest option from AT&T U-Verse is 45Mbps down, and they can't actually do it in many places over their aging copper plant. Some people find that too slow. U-Verse also has a stated 350GB/mo cap with automatic overage charges, though it doesn't seem to be enforced.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:03 am

I figure I would best address this as I think this may provide some good insight.

First, Comcast is currently testing a 300 GB soft data cap. When this is exceeded, every 50 GB somebody goes over by is $10 more. Due to the failed merger with Time Warner many are saying there is a good chance of this becoming standard for all of it's service area. Now most people will go "wait, that is more than enough data" and if they were streaming Netflix's overcompressed garbage it would be ok, but for good streaming services it would kill the cap pretty quickly. Now, if this was my only issue then it would just be a matter of try to be more careful, but there is a bigger problem for me.

The bigger issue is that I run publicly accessible services from my network, which for Comcast (and most likely AT&T, but I'm not sure) isn't allowed on their consumer level services. As a result of this and the fact that I regularly destroy the bandwidth cap, I opted to switch to Comcast's Business level. There is also the fact that despite the FCC's new Net Neutrality policies going into effect, I can confirm that Comcast did throttle speed and connectivity to some sites like blip.tv last week on their consumer level connection. Sadly though, the quality of service for business tier in this part of Indianapolis has been lacking at best.

As for AT&T, (I really hate calling them that cause the reality is that it's SBC after they gobbled up the smaller bell companies and changed their name to that for branding purposes.) their obsession of forcing their routing equipment on people drives me nuts and they actually charge for somebody to use their own router. There is also how they advertise it being a Fiber connection when the last mile in many places is not fiber. It also didn't help that they initially refused to provide me information concerning their business internet services until I explained why I skipped approaching their consumer level. As a result of this and past billing issues that I won't do business with them until I see some major changes on their end.

TL;DR version: I use a business level connection to avoid bandwidth caps and because I host public services thus I require one at whatever location I move to. (The second is not allowed by most consumer level providers outright.) I won't do business with SBC (AT&T in name only) cause they are shady on multiple levels and did me dirty on billing before until some noted changes happen.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 am

I have an official purchase agreement for a house in Avon! http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/774-T ... 3675_zpid/

I can't wait for the mountain of debt I am about to accumulate!