International travel!

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

dr88
Standard
Standard

Re: International travel!

Post by dr88 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:42 pm

I went to Alaska on a cruise it was purdy.
Questions:
1. Where did you start travelling with the cruise? (Means, what city?)
2. How long does it take to get to Alaska with a cruise??

dr88
Image Dallas? SALAD

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:58 pm

dr88 wrote:
Questions:

dr88
We flew to Portland, then took a bus up into Canada, then got on the boat there to sail up around the coast up to Alaska. Took probably a day to get there if I recall.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Riot wrote:
dr88 wrote:
Questions:

dr88
We flew to Portland, then took a bus up into Canada, then got on the boat there to sail up around the coast up to Alaska. Took probably a day to get there if I recall.
I just want to reiterate, you see so much more of Alaska (or any country) when you don't go on a cruise. Cruise stops have become little more than tourist traps. You don't get that feeling of being around a completely different culture.

http://www.akback.com/

My family had this gentleman (who resides in a small 1,000 person town called Girdwood) offer a tour. The sites we visited were incredible, and we didn't have to follow the schedule of a multiple-hundred person cruise liner.

I can hardly describe how beautiful kayaking in Prince William sounds was. That or sitting in a wood fire sauna in Halibut Cove.

I even saw an avalanche (quality sucks, but it was a very random occurrence).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLySDYMPMEE

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:12 am

OMG I'M TOTALLY IN AIRZONA RIGHT THIS VERY NOW MOMENT.

Jet lag is so amazingly sweet.

dr88
Standard
Standard

Post by dr88 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Anybody has an idea where would be a great country to travel for this winter? I'm counting about 3 weeks of travel, and my current candidate is Italy. But if you guys have a better suggestion, please reply! (And of course, Korea is no option, since I'll be in Korea after that travel)

dr88
Image Dallas? SALAD

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:12 am

Since it's summer there right now I would say Australia.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:56 pm

dr88 wrote:Anybody has an idea where would be a great country to travel for this winter? I'm counting about 3 weeks of travel, and my current candidate is Italy. But if you guys have a better suggestion, please reply! (And of course, Korea is no option, since I'll be in Korea after that travel)

dr88
That depends on what kind of whether you prefer. I prefer winter, so I'd go to Sweden where probably the best places to ski are located.

I spent a month in Germany, and I can say that the German life is an interesting one. It is not for me, but I did find them to be nice people. The beer is strong and the people are very fit, over a wide scale. If you find yourself in Germany, and have time, I'd visit the Eagles Nest (Hitler's Hideout) in the mountains. There is no other place to view a more beautiful landscape. I spent 6 months in Kosovo (Serbia), and got to see the countryside, in an up close fashion....that being through the open doors of a UH-60 Blackhawk. The country is a poor one, but a very rich cultured one. I spent 4 days in Sofia, Bulgaria, a very prominent tourist city due to it's rich architectural landscape. They're not far from being German, and the language is similar. I'd recommend visiting there and seeing the countryside and experience the thrilling/terrifying experience of riding a cab. Not even NY can compare to the controlled chaos there. I flew into Ireland, and spent most of the day there, but I don't consider than good enough to say I visited.
Since my girlfriend is English, I have a feeling a trip to England is going to happen soon. I told her she's taking me to Stonehenge (one of the biggest henge's in the world! lol). And for all you out there that want to visit England and experience "England," do not go to London. However, if you want to experience the tourist aspect of England, DO visit London. London is not true England, according to Rachael's grand-mother who lives there. If you like a specific real football team, make sure you're aware of where you're at. They can get violent over there.

That's all for now....Japan will probably come in 2010, for vacation once Rachael is finished with her damn 2nd degree lol

PS. Red lights in Germany are not there to be pretty.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:45 pm

LOL did you just say Bulgarian and German are similar languages?

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm

danc1005 wrote:LOL did you just say Bulgarian and German are similar languages?
According to the ppl while I was in Sofia, they can understand most of what the Germans say...

Aside from that I cannot. I learned only what I needed to get around.

DjKARL
Standard
Standard

Post by DjKARL » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:43 pm

I was over in Germany for a little over a month for training, and since I currently live there, England. While it's true that London isn't REALLY England, I can assure you the little podunk town I live in (Huntingdon) certainly is. I'm actually thinking of rolling up to Nottingham this weekend with the wife and kid (I heard there was the only Hooters in the UK there, and I'm jonesin for something to remind me of home). As for the soccer thing, it's not really that bad, as I am a True Blue Chelsea fan, and I've gotten into more arguments about our former President than I have about Wayne Rooney. England's pretty sweet though, and the people here are genuinely the nicest I've ever seen.

If you're in LDN, hit me up, and I can show you around a few spots!

PS: If you want to save some cash on Stonehenge, I suggest that you drive past it on the highway, and stop to take pictures. You save the 10 pounds they charge per head, and you actually get closer to it than if you payed! :lol: