Google UK..???

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Google UK..???

Post by seveneleven » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:45 am

HAs anyone else who frequently uses google, been fining that its the UK address instead?

LikeableRodent

Re: Google UK..???

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:03 am

Funny, mine always defaults to http://www.google.co.jp/

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 pm

Google uses one (or possibly several) of those geolocation services to attempt to figure out where you are located based upon your IP address (and usually therefore ISP) and redirect you to the localized version of their website based on that info. These services are notoriously inaccurate, though they usually at least manage to get the country right.

Check that you are not using any proxies you don't think you are and that you have no spyware/adware/scumware which is intercepting and redirecting your results through an intermediary. If none of those are the case, then you can either live with it (it's at least still in English) or set your country in their preferences, which would require at least accepting their cookie and possibly creating an account. You can also go to http://www.google.com/ncr to force it to keep you on the US version (ncr = no country redirect).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 pm

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:49 pm

My GF and I let out a collective "awwww.." when we saw that. Damn you.

seveneleven
Heavy
Heavy

Post by seveneleven » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:03 am

MonMotha wrote:Google uses one (or possibly several) of those geolocation services to attempt to figure out where you are located based upon your IP address (and usually therefore ISP) and redirect you to the localized version of their website based on that info. These services are notoriously inaccurate, though they usually at least manage to get the country right.

Check that you are not using any proxies you don't think you are and that you have no spyware/adware/scumware which is intercepting and redirecting your results through an intermediary. If none of those are the case, then you can either live with it (it's at least still in English) or set your country in their preferences, which would require at least accepting their cookie and possibly creating an account. You can also go to http://www.google.com/ncr to force it to keep you on the US version (ncr = no country redirect).
Well its happening on every PC in my home, so im fairly sure that its not badware, but ill try the country preferences

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:10 am

ShammerS wrote:My GF and I let out a collective "awwww.." when we saw that. Damn you.
lol Sam......lol