Anybody using Google's new Chrome browser?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Re: Anybody using Google's new Chrome browser?

Post by BigBadOrc » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:33 pm

and besides, they have no way of knowing what browser you post something in, unless you are posting that something to a google site.

firefox 3 is really good. chrome is definitely better, no question. let the browser wars begin!
groovestats
<3 blackcat

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:59 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:let the browser wars begin!
opera

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:41 pm

chocobojoe wrote:
opera
That's what I was looking for.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:12 am

Lynx 4 lyfe!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:25 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:and besides, they have no way of knowing what browser you post something in, unless you are posting that something to a google site.
How are you so sure of that?

trythil
Standard
Standard

Post by trythil » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Chrome is pretty nice, and I *can* technically run it on OS X and Ubuntu (see: Chromium), but Firefox has a wealth of extensions that I find quite useful. The particular set of extensions I'm using is something that I haven't found available in any other browser. The list:
  • Firebug
  • Web Developer toolbar
  • ColorZilla
  • Live HTTP Headers
  • Adblock Plus
  • Vimperator (seriously, being able to control your browsing sessions using only the keyboard is awesome, and the increase in Web screen space is great too)
  • DownThemAll!
  • Abduction!
  • NoScript
  • Delicious bookmarks integration
I don't doubt that ports of these extensions, or perhaps completely different extensions providing equivalent functionality, will make it into Chrome. (The job of Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar is kinda-sorta met by the document inspector built into WebKit, although Firebug's Javascript debugging capabilities are still superior.) In any case, I'll be keeping an eye out on the extensions for Chrome and give it a try every now and then.

In the meantime, of course, I doubt Mozilla will be standing still. So perhaps I'll stick with Firefox as a primary browser and have Safari/Opera/Chrome-or-Chromium as secondary, with IE7/8/9/whateverthehellisnextforthatforsakenthing safely secluded in a VM. Guess we'll see?

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:42 pm

danc1005 wrote:
BigBadOrc wrote:and besides, they have no way of knowing what browser you post something in, unless you are posting that something to a google site.
How are you so sure of that?
oh, that's easy. the only other possibility is that there's something in the chrome code that records what you do and sends a note to google. however, chrome is open source. but even if it was not open source, people (hackers) would still be able to tell that their browser was doing something funny. and once people figured this out, google would catch all sorts of crazy hell.

so one bad thing about chrome i've noticed is that the text highlighting is.. well.. n00b. i could do a better job.. actually.. i have done a better job in an application for my work :D
groovestats
<3 blackcat

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:00 pm

hermione wrote:Yah the biggest thing I noticed is how much freaking room you get to browse now. It made my monitor seem even bigger than it already was! Also the most popular history on the new tab is ingenious. I want to know if I can make more show up, as I only visit the same sites anyways.
chocobojoe wrote:
opera
Right this way.
opera_speeddial.png
opera_speeddial.png (179.5 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
This concept is nothing new. Opera was first to implement it. I will admit, though, that Chrome improved upon it.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:09 pm

I love speed dial on Opera. Ctrl+# takes you to whatever page is set on that number.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I assume then that those 9 pages in opera's speed dial are more like bookmarks than a list of recently visited sites? So that you can hit ctrl-t, ctrl-1 quickly?

ok check this out:

I open up firefox. I type "dig" into the address bar. The list of matching sites appears below, and digg.com is first on that list. I'm like, "YES! THAT'S WHAT I WANT!" and I hit enter..... "Looking up dig... "

Then I do the same in chrome, and it takes me to digg.com.

This has been bugging me since I first tried firefox 3 beta o.O
groovestats
<3 blackcat

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:39 pm

The sites on Opera's Speed Dial page are kinda like bookmarks. They're bookmarks that are independent of your actual "bookmarks". As in, just because you have a site on your Speed Dial doesn't necessarily put it in your regular bookmarks and vice-versa.

Since Speed Dial and full-text history in the address bar was introduced into Opera, I've pretty much stopped using bookmarks at all and only use Speed Dial and the history in my address bar.

The main difference that Chrome has is that it places pages on the home page based upon your browsing history, versus Opera which you must do manually. Realistically, with most people that would result in the most part with the same pages being displayed regardless of which system you use.

In the end, I like some of the things that Chrome is introducing, but it would take quite a bit more for me to want to switch from Opera.

Gatekeeper
Standard
Standard

Post by Gatekeeper » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:39 pm

I basically agree with Adam, Chrome isn't robust enough for me to want to use it as a replacement browser at this time, but it does innovate in a lot of ways I wish Firefox would.

The "tabs in separate processes" feature is nice enough I went out to see if anyone was working on an extension to do that, but sadly process spawning / tab management is too deep in the core for that kind of functionality to be introduced (non-hackishly) in an extension.

Good news though, it seems to be penciled into the Road Map for Firefox 4, see https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Produ ... d_browsing.