College is useless?

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

College is useless?

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu May 01, 2008 9:39 am

I already knew this but it's nice to see it so nicely explained:
http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php?id ... jtdhknjqvf

What if you had spent all that college tuition money on private tutors instead.. but where can you find such tutors?

Interesting.... college alternatives: http://www.khake.com
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Re: College is useless?

Post by Potter » Thu May 01, 2008 10:44 am

Last edited by Potter on Thu May 01, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu May 01, 2008 10:58 am

posted on deesh like, 2 months ago
get with the ti..oh wait

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu May 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Ok, this is probably gonna be the most bitter, angry, and negative post I've ever done on a forum, but I have quite a few good reasons.

I loathe colleges in their current state due to how broken many of them simply are. The simple fact that my tax dollars helps fund some colleges infuriates me since tuition is extremely expensive to begin with. Compound that with the fact that many state colleges (espically BSU) are becoming nothing short of a glorified day care center for snobs and all these BS tech colleges with no real accreditation let alone capable instructors. The worst thing though is that there are still plenty of workplaces who are still picking college degrees over working experience for countless fields which is just fucking insane. (I speak from experience cause some Bachelor's Degree having retard who barely knew anything about Cisco got hired over me for an IT job cause I only had an associates despite the fact that I have a shitton of experience and training courtesy of both college and the Moron Corps.

I've looked into going back and it simply would be very difficult at best as I won't get jack shit in terms of money (don't fucking believe the college money they talk about on commercials for the armed forces, if you are reservist you won't get jack shit outside of the Army/National Guard folks.) and I'd have to sit though alot of BS classes that would be all review.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu May 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:I'd have to sit though alot of BS classes that would be all review.
You know most colleges will let you pay a small fee (helluva lot less than tuition) and test out of classes. They just require that you take x number of credit hours in your degree program before you graduate, as long as you meet all the necessary requirements. Same goes for transfer credits.

The best thing to go to college for right now is nursing. You're pretty much guaranteed a job. I don't like nursing though, and I'm sure you don't either, so that doesn't help any.

My brother went to college, interned at Toyota corporate, and had a permanent position there straight out of college. Then they paid for him to get his Master's degree, and he's making pretty decent money. So I wouldn't say college is completely useless.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:55 pm

As far as, is it possible to get a college-level education (or better) without going to college? Yes, it is useless.
But as far as whether or not it gives you a huge step up and helps you get your foot in the door and land a better job, it's very useful.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu May 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:Ok, this is probably gonna be the most bitter, angry, and negative post I've ever done on a forum
That is a very bold statement...and I think you fell short. ^_~

----------------

Since I have graduated from college I have maintained that a college degree really only proves to an employer that you started something and finished it. Unless you need a specialized certification or training for your career (law, medicine, etc.) I don't think the degree itself has much further value. I mean, I have a telecommunications degree...that's television production. Have I ever worked in that field? Directly, no.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu May 01, 2008 1:58 pm

College is a lot more about networking than learning the things you're going to be doing for the rest of your life.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu May 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Riot wrote:College is a lot more about networking than learning the things you're going to be doing for the rest of your life.
I would definitely stress the importance of networking (just ask Chad!). However, I would have to admit that all the jobs I've had have not resulted in any connections I made in college. But there are certainly many opportunities in a college environment for you to make such connections.

I think that's the true value of college...opportunities. I would argue that at no other place and time in your life will you have such easy and ready access to people and resources. If all you're doing in college is just going to class and getting grades--you're wasting your time. Get involved. Most of what I "learned" in college was the result of meeting people, working on projects (outside of class), and finding things out for myself while working with the people and resources that were there. Once you're in the "real world," it takes a lot more effort to make/get those kinds of connections.

I certainly wouldn't argue against the system being screwed up, but I wouldn't call college useless either.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu May 01, 2008 3:42 pm

I agree that a college degree is as useless as any other piece of paper you'll achieve in your life, and that the experiences you endured to get it are the only thing that matter. The beauty of college is that those experiences are unlimited in scope and depth while you're there. These things can be done without actually going to college, certainly; just with more difficulty.

That said, consider that it's not necessarily because of the degrees that people with college backgrounds have higher incomes -- but it's also no coincidence.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu May 01, 2008 3:49 pm

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't view college as 'job training'. I'm a big BIG believer in core classes and a well-rounded education. NOT because it helps you get a job, but because it helps to make you a more interesting, knowledgeable person.

I do agree that the exact sort of degree you get doesn't matter much, unless you're going in to something like medicine or law. I have only music degrees, and I've been working as a full-time computer programmer for 7 years. But, I would not have the job I currently have without the experiences and networking that I got in college.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu May 01, 2008 4:29 pm

Ho wrote:
Amp Divorax wrote:Ok, this is probably gonna be the most bitter, angry, and negative post I've ever done on a forum
That is a very bold statement...and I think you fell short. ^_~
ROTFLOL. Well, college is the one thing that makes me angry enough to want to destroy kittens and rainbows, albeit I didn't express that rage all that much due to the possibility of backlash.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri May 02, 2008 9:24 am

For a time, I was a poor college student. I had no money (har) but more importantly, I did the minimum to get by classes. Homework, attendance, and study all fell second to my other personal activities. During my final year, I actually did put forth effort, and was surprisingly well rewarded with knowledge. If you use the resources your school has to offer and make a strong effort to succeed in classes you might be surprised.

I could sum up my thoughts on college with the statement, "You get out what you put in." Do you want to put it in?

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri May 02, 2008 10:19 am

Chad you know I want to put it in.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:21 pm

Programming mantra: