Marital Discord from World of Warcraft

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

aspen
Standard
Standard

Marital Discord from World of Warcraft

Post by aspen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:37 am

I don't get heated up over many things. I don't typically like to go out of my way to discuss something I disagree with this much...

This, is an exception...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo. ... ft/1186366

This article disturbs me, in many ways.

Contrary to what you think, the fact of the matter is....World of Warcraft, in now way, shape, sound or form can be blamed for any failed marriages or relationships. It is not Blizzards fault, and it is not the maker's fault, the designer's fault. The problem solely remains with the person/people involved.

What's going on in this couple's life is none of my business. How their relationship was, even before WoW, is none of my business. For all I know, it could have been rocky to begin with. There's only one side of the story here.

What annoys me is that this article makes gamers look like we live a "sad" life. Who do you think you are, judging me and the way I live my life?! Furthermore, this article makes men who game, look bad. I'll tell you something, there are more women playing WoW than you can imagine. So, the article goes both ways buddy!

Now....for my serious rant. If a game comes between two people in a relationship, then that relationship wasn't there to being with. If a man, or a woman, decides to spend all their time playing a game as opposed to being with that person, something's missing.
I say this, because I, myself, am in the middle of this nonsense. I'm getting blamed for every damn thing going wrong with my relationship. Listen up, and listen good....it isn't that I can't stop playing. This isn't an "addiction." Smoking is an addictions, alcohol is an addiction. I choose to play WoW, because it gets me away from the stresses of life. I've never had a problem in quitting. I don't even play half the amount the stated gentleman did. My relationship was lacking to begin with. With boredom comes the desire to do something you enjoy. I enjoy playing WoW. I enjoy skiing. I enjoy activities that aren't brain-free. I don't enjoy watching TV, playing board games and sitting around. I don't need brain-free activity in order to relax.
I would and could stop playing if I had a reason. If WoW started to seriously affect my work, I'd stop. If WoW started to affect my living style, I'd stop.
A man/woman chooses what they do. I loved this person, with all my heart. But I've learned something, despite what the beatles say, you need more than love.

This woman who left her husband after 9 months......is a sad woman. After all that time together, to let this happen....is sad. To give up, after so little effort, is a poor path to choose.

World of Warcraft will come and go. There are so many worse things out there than this.

*Note* Posted same thing in every thread i use...

ITGMS Mike
Standard
Standard

Post by ITGMS Mike » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 am

so im not trying to be an ass or anything, but i have to agree with the fact that WoW causes problems in any case. seriously, my best friend and his mom play it. when he used to play it, he would play from like 6 or 7 pm to 7 or even later am. he stopped playing like that though, and im glad for that. he has a more social life now. he used to not wanna hang out with his girlfriend or any of his friends just to play the damn game. and his mom plays from like 5 pm to 5 am. where she gets 2 hours of sleep and then goes to work. and then repeats this routine. she usually gets off work around 3 or 4. im pretty sure thats not very healthy at all. im just stating my opinion that WoW does play a role in some cases like that. or any case.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 am

When you make excuses for something to call it other than an addiction that's called denial.

It's easy to say that you're not addicted, that's why the first step in rehabilitation is admitting you have a problem.

I've heard the same excuse for drugs and whatnot, "I haven't stopped because I don't have a reason to."

I can easily admit that video games have fucked up a lot of stuff for me. They're such an easy retreat from stress that it makes you not want to go back to RL and face those stresses. Get yourself immersed enough and you can become afraid of facing whatever is stressing you.

For you to trace the game back to it's creators is silly. The fact is, is that the game is addictive. It wouldn't have the name World of WarCrack for no reason.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:43 pm

It is entirely possible to become addicted to something like video games, it's a mental addiction. Drugs and such are a physical addiction and a whole different ball park.
The guy in this case is a dumbass. There's no real good reason to ignore your wife and home for an online game that has no real gains. I bet the dude won't even stop playing either, he'll end up moving back in with his parents or something, haha.
The woman in the case shouldn't hold that against all gamer guys though, that's a little silly.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Why are all your WoW characters chicks?

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Riot wrote:Why are all your WoW characters chicks?
I've gotten way more gold / groups / heals / better treatment in general from acting and looking like a chick in-game.

And in real life.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:17 pm

I tend to agree that it isn't the game, it is the player. WoW shouldn't be lumped with the same sort of addiction as drugs.

I will, however, say that WoW does have a lot of addictive elements. I know that if I were to start playing, I would have a hard time focusing on other aspects of my life that are more important. I've played MMOs, and I know the time commitment it takes to stay competitive. I also wish some of my friends hadn't picked up the game. I believe the Southpark episode on WoW actually does carry some truth.

On the flip-side, I know people that play the game that still function normally. It just seems like an activity that can sometimes take an inordinate amount of time for, in my opinion, little reward.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:54 pm

And we all know female druids with blues and still wearing 3 piece T2 are uber.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:30 pm

lmao I can't believe we're actually seriously discussing this.
aspen is textbook in denial, WoW destroys lives, thread OVER

ITGMS Mike
Standard
Standard

Post by ITGMS Mike » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 pm

lol yea, me and my friend call it "Destroy My Life". i think that name better fits it. and yes, this isnt something THAT important to discuss. but i just want to see anyone elses opinion.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't think it necessarily destroys lives.... I played WoW and I somehow balanced a girlfriend, a lot of practice for marching band (like 3 hours a day), school, and a job, and somehow played for like 3 months actual ingame play time over the course of the first 6 1/2 months it was out.

It's obvious they hurt social lives, but different people will take MMOs to different lengths. There are some people that play casually, some people that play it hardcore, and even the hardcore players don't always let it take over their lives. I would like to consider myself pretty hardcore and admit to MMOs being the only thing I wanted to do certain days and not being able to think of anything else, but I don't think it necessarily hurt me a lot.

Now our lovely roommate on the other hand plays the game literally about 24/7 and is slipping down the slippery slope and it's obvious to everyone kinda. It's certainly hurting him in the long run I'd say, but I don't think you can take his case as the end-all-be-all outcome that will happen to everyone. MMOs (not just WoW) will make you not FORGET about your real life, but choose to ignore it because the virtual life is more fun and the key point is -SUCCESSFUL-. Most players who get very addicted (as in unhealthy addiction) are missing important aspects of real life, such as friends, a girlfriend, a meaningful job/education, etc. Their avatars online can thus make up for all shortcomings they have in real life and they can ditch their problems and become perfect idealizations of what they want to be online. And once you have devoted thousands of hours into these pixellated archetypes of ourselves, it's sometimes impossible to sever them off and quit the game because we become attached to them just as we would ourselves or important people in our lives. In my mind it's not so much the game as it is the connection they develop with their extensions of themselves and the idea of being able to continually better themselves in a world of limitless possibility, whereas the real world has already given them seemingly impossible blockades to get around (such as not being the best looking person and not being able to find a girlfriend or something).

Anyways, there's my pseudo intellectual lesson for the day.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Shaman still need buffs.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Riot is beautiful just the way he is. A fatty with a heart of gold.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Riot is beautiful just the way he is. A fatty with a heart of gold.
I am huge. And my heart is 24 karat.

On that note, I can't wait for Warhammer!

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Riot wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Riot is beautiful just the way he is. A fatty with a heart of gold.
I am huge. And my heart is 24 karat.

On that note, I can't wait for Warhammer!

More like AoC.