Lost

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Lost

Post by malictus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:23 pm

tell me I'm not the only one completely addicted to this show

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:51 pm

I watched the first season some time back. It was good.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Absolutely not, I've been in on the losties since the 2nd episode. We must discuss who the oceanic 6 are; I have spoiler details but they still won't make any sense. As it is, I joined Locke's camp--he used to be a blind zealot but he knows more about the island than anyone else, including Ben. Jack is destined to fail because he hasn't met his inner demons.
The same blue sky in a strange new world...

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Soma wrote:Absolutely not, I've been in on the losties since the 2nd episode. We must discuss who the oceanic 6 are; I have spoiler details but they still won't make any sense. As it is, I joined Locke's camp--he used to be a blind zealot but he knows more about the island than anyone else, including Ben. Jack is destined to fail because he hasn't met his inner demons.
Second thought: we should figure out who joined who's camp and postulate about their reasonings from there. This sounds like a good time.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Soma wrote:\We must discuss who the oceanic 6 are; I have spoiler details but they still won't make any sense.
NO SPOILERS PLEASE :D Guesses are fine, but don't say anything if you know....

I think that beside Hurley (1), Kate (2), and Jack (3), the others would be Michael (4) and Walt (5) since they already made it back (maybe). As for the sixth one.... maybe Sawyer?

Even more intriguing to me is who was in the rocking chair inside Jacob's cabin. It appears to be Jack's father. And yes, I'm geeky enough to tape the episode and go back and examine it in slow motion to see if I could figure it out.

The great thing about this show is that it constantly keeps you guessing. Unlike most shows based around a single mystery (such as Carnivale), it reveals the answers to enough secrets in each episode to keep you satisfied, but then poses an even bigger secret that changes everything that came before. It is consistently brilliant.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:00 pm

I think they're all gonna die.

Actually I haven't watched any but I've heard good things. I heard this season started out very badly though with an unnecessary amount of recap.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:43 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:I heard this season started out very badly though with an unnecessary amount of recap.
Well, the entire first hour was a 'pre-show' recap of pretty much the entire show so far, but it was just to get newcomers caught up, and not really necessary unless you just started watching. I actually thought the first episode of the season was pretty good.

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:11 am

you didn't see this ;p

[
Last edited by Soma on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:36 am

SPOILERS!

I loved carnivale and I love lost now for much of the same reasons. Nothing is ever as it seems the first time around. Who would've thought that Sawyer's reading picks would be integral to the plot--EVER? There's a whole lot left to go, and I certaintly don't think that the 'oceanic 6' are the only survivors for one thing. I think they're like michael (who was creditted again) who were given exit to the island but were called back to it. This whole season is a great refreshment and I can't wait for more. I can only hope that more of our favorites aren't killed, but knowing lost We Will Have To See. I miss charlie and want to see his death mean something.

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:06 am

malictus wrote:
Soma wrote:\We must discuss who the oceanic 6 are; I have spoiler details but they still won't make any sense.
NO SPOILERS PLEASE :D Guesses are fine, but don't say anything if you know....

I think that beside Hurley (1), Kate (2), and Jack (3), the others would be Michael (4) and Walt (5) since they already made it back (maybe). As for the sixth one.... maybe Sawyer?

Even more intriguing to me is who was in the rocking chair inside Jacob's cabin. It appears to be Jack's father. And yes, I'm geeky enough to tape the episode and go back and examine it in slow motion to see if I could figure it out.

The great thing about this show is that it constantly keeps you guessing. Unlike most shows based around a single mystery (such as Carnivale), it reveals the answers to enough secrets in each episode to keep you satisfied, but then poses an even bigger secret that changes everything that came before. It is consistently brilliant.
MORE SPOILERS WATCH THE DAMN SHOW!

As far as I know, in the greater scheme of things, omghow, Walt and Michael aren't integral. The best I can say is to think about who has the most to lose NOW and picture them getting off the island happily. That really sums it up.

That said, man I hope the spoilsters are wrong. I want surprises galore and I hate myself for delving back in to the fanbase and coming up with what I know. So many characters are pivotal at this point that it's hard coming up with theories. The main problem that I see currently are that Lost's three (the unholy triangle, as it is) are made up of analogues.

BEN: Sawyer. Master Trickster and conman of all above, He will do anything and say anything to meet his own means

JULIET: Kate. She has a moral backbone but she is often en-webbed by her pursuers. She has yet to stand on her own fully.

TOM: Jack. You may see the consumate survivor but I see someone who is ruled by ways and means that are not his own. Jack saved lives via medicine. He can also take them away just as readily. Jack is a tool (yeah I hate him, but I'm speaking literally).

I'm still wating for Jack's great fall, which we know must happen. Ben had to believe in an other for his surgery to take place. Future Kate looks on Jack with pity and you can't blame her. He obviously failed in the long run.

What about Aaron growing up without a mum? We already know that that is bad BAD news. Will Claire survive? Will the island-tossed siblings ever find out?

Was that Christian in the chair? Whose eye was that?

Was Charlie really there in a sense? Does this answer 'the whispers'?

Penny's icebreaker must be close enough, where is she investigating?

All really fantastic stuff. Once I have my finances in order (thanks IT =\) I'll be getting the third season on dvd so I can better map out what is happening

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:39 am

I got Lost at your mom's cottage! ohhhohhhh
I'm prettier than you :)

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:29 pm

Okay so wow, this episode was great and they keep getting better.

I'm nearly 100% on who I think the final 2 of the oceanic six are, but I'll lay out the other possibilities too. As it stands, we know that Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid make it off. Ben makes it off too, but his role is too shadowy to be one of the six.

80% Sun and Jin: Sun's baby was conceived on the island and we know that this is bad news. I can't see the two splitting apart and she needs to get off the island to have a healthy baby. Another bonus is that Jin can handle himself in an action role, he may be in a similar situation to Sayid.

10% Juliet and Desmond: Both have known the outside world and wish to return to it. Through Naomi we know that Desmond has some involvement with the people on the boat. I think it's a red herring of sorts though.

8% Claire and Aaron. We know that Claire sided with Jack's side of the camp. I however doubt that a baby would be counted as one of the six. I also don't see Claire as being much good for off island story fodder, unless they find some resolution with her being Jack's half-sister.

2% Random red-shirts. This is so highly doubtful, but we've been served screwballs in the past. This WOULD be the time to introduce new people in an interesting way but I think it would piss off most of the audience.

----

On to other stuff.

This episode seemingly confirmed the fact that the island has some sort of screwy time/space relationship with the rest of the world. Short wave radio apparently can get off of the island at a normal time/space orientation--maybe a special wavelength since Danielle's message was apparently never heard while (presumption) the broadcast of the numbers reached the outside world. We saw the difference in the clocks carried by the rocket and the one on the island. Nearly an hour's difference. Another thing to take note of was Jack's mention of 'not believing' that they had already been there for 100 days. I think if we go back and check episode by episode... well, they haven't been there that long in island time.

Another neat thing is to look at the new team that arrived, we have two scientists and a ghost buster apparently hunting for Ben. My best guess is that they work for the Dharma Initiative. Last season taught us that the present 'others\hostiles' are what was left after a hostile takeover. Dharma wants their island back and it would only make sense to go after Ben. Sending scientists and an (presumption) military woman makes some sense for the scouts of an invading force. By my take on things, the man who approached Hurley and the two people that Sayid killed are working for Dharma and are either trying to hush up the location\existence of the island or are trying to find a way to get back there. While I believe that there will definitely be casualties (makes for good tv and all) I believe that the majority of our other losties are still on the island.

Finally... I want to look at the presumed wreckage of the Oceanic 815. There is a possibility that the wreck is the real deal. I suggest you google "orchid orientation video" so that this will make more sense. From what I can gather from this video, the island has a property (probably due to its temporal displacement) that makes cloning of a sort possible. It's possible that flight 815 'cloned' when in proximity to the island; one crashed down safely(?) while the other went to the bottom of the ocean. If you remember a really old tag-line "they aren't who they think they are" this may be a clue. Our losties may have both died and been given a new chance at life via the island.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Soma wrote:8% Claire and Aaron. We know that Claire sided with Jack's side of the camp. I however doubt that a baby would be counted as one of the six. I also don't see Claire as being much good for off island story fodder, unless they find some resolution with her being Jack's half-sister.
My vote goes to them, simply because Desmond 'saw' them getting into a helicopter in his vision.

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

malictus wrote:
Soma wrote:8% Claire and Aaron. We know that Claire sided with Jack's side of the camp. I however doubt that a baby would be counted as one of the six. I also don't see Claire as being much good for off island story fodder, unless they find some resolution with her being Jack's half-sister.
My vote goes to them, simply because Desmond 'saw' them getting into a helicopter in his vision.
Wow, I even missed that one. Great find! I may have to recalculate! I still don't figure that Aaron is one of the six though. Desmond perhaps?

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:05 pm

So far my predictions are coming true... I'd be really upset if something awful happens to Claire though. Sadly, I can't really see any other option if Kate ends up with Aaron. This episode seemingly also knocked out the paradise at the south pole theory.