VEGAN THREAD is ressurected 4 lulz

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:11 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:is that swap
Yeah.... excerpts from it anyways. That's only like 2 minutes out of the hour-long glory.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:07 am

hascoolnickname wrote:big meat recall in the news

lulz ensues
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... &cset=true

what I find most disturbing about this, is that because of those guy's actions all of that flesh is wasted. good job guys, way to play it smart.

Fattoxthegreat
Light
Light

Post by Fattoxthegreat » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 pm

Haha, you losers love each other and eat no meat. I laugh at Mike's less than favorable situation! :P
"When you're always pessimistic, you're always being pleasantly surprised."
-A wise and unknown man

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:17 am

Wooo... I've made it a year now without meat.

happy... day... to me....

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Congrats man :)

I'm not really missing meat actually. Eggs, maybe. Cheese, yes. I mean, there are good substitutes for these, but you won't usually find them in a restaurant :(

wat i find most disturbing about the meat recall is that people think that shit doesn't happen all the time, like it was an isolated incident or something. lol. They're pressuring the FDA to get better rules but good luck with that.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:58 pm

It is true that this is not the first meat recall. I'm also sure it will not be the last. However, even something this big is tiny compared to the amount that's fine.

Could the system of checks be improved? Probably. Will we ever catch everything? Probably not. The fact remains that millions of people eat from our food supply everyday and nothing bad happens the vast majority of the time. This recall is only news because it's NOT the norm.

And let's not forget what happened with spinach about a year ago and with green onions before that...

Food safety--or lack thereof--is not strictly a meat vs. no meat issue.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:18 pm

Ho wrote:It is true that this is not the first meat recall. I'm also sure it will not be the last. However, even something this big is tiny compared to the amount that's fine.

Could the system of checks be improved? Probably. Will we ever catch everything? Probably not. The fact remains that millions of people eat from our food supply everyday and nothing bad happens the vast majority of the time. This recall is only news because it's NOT the norm.

And let's not forget what happened with spinach about a year ago and with green onions before that...

Food safety--or lack thereof--is not strictly a meat vs. no meat issue.
Good call on the green onions. That one was a pain.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:21 pm

lol did anything bad happen this time? other than everyone being disgusted? i didn't see anything in the news about people dying or getting horribly ill but i could be wrong. i mean heck, if they hadn't caught it on tape, i bet no one woulda noticed
groovestats
<3 blackcat

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Well it's not that it doesn't happen all the time, but this was the biggest recall in US history.

That article I posted said that it was safe enough to not really worry about it, but they have to have a recall just in case basically.

Yea, it's a food safety thing, but this is just ignorance on their part. If you see a cow that's too weak to walk, you don't throw it into the food supply.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 am

The president of the US humane society (Wayne Pacelle): http://www.youtube.com/v/OftBZJ8w2g4

"This was part of the culture at this plant."

My opinion, and I have no hard evidence but just a strong feeling, is that it was greed and not ignorance.

Here's another quote from the same guy, taken from this article:

"If this was our first deep dive into a cattle slaughter plant and we found these gross abuses, then it would be highly unlikely that we would not find similar abuses at some of the of the plants," Pacelle told Reuters.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:06 pm

hey so i'm takin the whole vegan thing to its logical conclusion: the pizza diet!!

ingredients: ground sunflower seeds, grated beets, coconut oil, parsley, tomato, onion, celery, basil, carrot, green onion

NOM NOM NOM - holy shit that was tasty

yeah k so i got the idea from this book: thrive

and here's a cool page to order some sweet smoothie mix and energy bars: http://www.myvega.com/about/
groovestats
<3 blackcat

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:58 am

BigBadOrc wrote:hey so i'm takin the whole vegan thing to its logical conclusion: the pizza diet!!

I am down for that diet, so is every other college student (especially Kyler).... :lol:

Actually your veggie pizza does look good, minus the fact there is no crust as I can see....so pass ^_^

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:09 am

ground sunflower seeds, grated beets, coconut oil = crust

grating a beet was tricky at first, but then i got the hang of it o.O
groovestats
<3 blackcat

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:36 am

BigBadOrc wrote:ground sunflower seeds, grated beets, coconut oil = crust
So why can't you just have a crust of traditional methods? all it is is like: flower, yeast, and water (plus other things depending on what you want for taste of the crust).....is it cause yeast is a living thing or what...fill me in on this cause I am confuseled....cause basic breads are not bad for you :?: :?: :?:

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 pm

if he actually says he wont eat yeast because it's living I'm fucking out of here
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy