Christmas + Discussion of Swag

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Christmas + Discussion of Swag

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:07 pm

2015 my peeps! Post that sweet, sweet holiday loot (unless you were a naughty boy)

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:02 am

I got a new job! ..Oh wait, that doesn't count.

I got two new 1440p monitors! ...Wait, I bought those.

I got my favorite show to come back via the biggest TV and Film crowdfunding project of all time! ...Wait, that isn't tangible at this point.

I got seasonal depression! ...Wait, that's a mental condition, not a gift.

Well.... I think this will tell everybody what I got this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB7mHxdHlRY

*Walks away with his head down, looking glum*
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:53 am

I ordered myself a sweet new proc and mobo to replace the aging ones in my main system at home, the 4790K arrived in great condition. After several years of having gigabyte boards fail left and right I spent a little extra this time on an ASUS board, which is a company I've always had good luck with

It came "new" from amazon with chili/bbq smeared into the SATA ports and the entire motherboard visibly bent into a C shape. So now I get to wait on amazon returns to issue a refund and pay return shipping myself and WOOOOO CAPITALISM
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:20 am

Potter wrote:It came "new" from amazon with chili/bbq smeared into the SATA ports and the entire motherboard visibly bent into a C shape. So now I get to wait on amazon returns to issue a refund and pay return shipping myself and WOOOOO CAPITALISM
I feel like we need pics of this.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:28 pm

these are what i panically sent brandon after already cleaning it the best I could asking him how the eff this even happens

http://imgur.com/a/1IDaA

the stuff still on the sata ports is basically glue, it would not come off like the rest of it did
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Potter wrote:these are what i panically sent brandon after already cleaning it the best I could asking him how the eff this even happens

http://imgur.com/a/1IDaA

the stuff still on the sata ports is basically glue, it would not come off like the rest of it did
That ASUS quality! Sadly, this is not the first time I've seen issues of this level of suck with regards to their gear. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this and get a good mobo.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:25 am

Evidence suggests it was an unrefurbished return. It was missing some manuals/driver discs, and the bowing is consistent with improper installation of an aftermarket CPU cooler. The adhesive/food residue is probably poor handling or packaging during the return.

Now, whether the failure to audit the condition of that thing is the fault of the retailer, Asus, or somebody else is anyone's guess. Regardless, it SHOULD have been marked as a return/refurb and not sold as new. I'd pin it on either the retailer or possibly an unauthorized distributor that the retailer used to get that stock. Could be a procedural failure at Asus, I guess. I've had decent luck with them over the years. Gigabyte, on the other hand...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:03 am

yeah, all the damage was definitely due to a previous user, I don't think there's any area within asus that even allows employees to magically eat chili while packing products. The mounting holes had scuffs as well indicating previous use. So either the distributor or asus themselves packaged a return as new without really checking over for damage or free food. I've had a lot of asus components in the past and have never ran into anything like this