originalsin this is for you

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

originalsin this is for you

Post by sam » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:50 pm

come to IL sometime

http://www.drinklucid.com

we have legal absinthe
insert code compile execute return

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:40 am

Well it's about damn time! I'm tired of having to have real absinthe smuggled...er, excuse me, privately shipped, into the states for my personal enjoyment. That gets rather expensive.

How much does this wonderful substance run per bottle?

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:07 am

not sure..i'm going to get some later this week probably i'll tell you once i get some.
insert code compile execute return

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:58 pm

How do I pm???

i kid i kid

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:How do I pm???

i kid i kid
No, you see, people need to be introduced to the wonderful world of absinthe.

And I read up on it, suggested retrail price is about 60 bucks per bottle. May seem like a lot, but really, that's quite fair for a bottle of traditional absinthe. The stuff I've been getting imported has been costing close to 200 all said and done...about 100 for the bottle itself...another hundred for the hassles of getting it here in one piece.

Rusty Shackleford
Standard
Standard

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:50 pm

I love that stuff. I like watching the sugar burn on the spoon.

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I love that stuff. I like watching the sugar burn on the spoon.
Funny, I've never had a drink with heroin in it. Are you referring to louching with a sugar cube dissolved with water through a slotted spoon?

As is, that Lucid brand looks like it really could be a winner, as it was crafted by the same man responsible for the current international gold medal winner (in its proof class, and overall). For $60, and no pain-in-the-ass customs and shipping charges, it does sound like a really good deal. Thanks for the heads-up, guys.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:25 am

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I love that stuff. I like watching the sugar burn on the spoon.
Don't do that! The whole flaming spoon trick isn't a traditional way to drink it, it just starting showing up in movies to make the whole deal look 'cool.' Burning it carmelizes the sugar, and gives the whole drink a disgusting burnt taste....besides, the absinthe is supposed to be in the glass, not on the spoon.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:17 am

Original Sin wrote:
Don't do that! The whole flaming spoon trick isn't a traditional way to drink it, it just starting showing up in movies to make the whole deal look 'cool.' Burning it carmelizes the sugar, and gives the whole drink a disgusting burnt taste....besides, the absinthe is supposed to be in the glass, not on the spoon.
I've had it before, it was alright. There is some new energy drink that is trying to market itself has having absinthe like properties (obviously BS). I'll try and remember what it's called.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:19 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Original Sin wrote:
I've had it before, it was alright. There is some new energy drink that is trying to market itself has having absinthe like properties (obviously BS). I'll try and remember what it's called.
The alcohol/energy hybrid drink 'Four' has wormwood extract in it. I'm not sure if that's what you're thinking of though. But, what people fail to realize is it's not the wormwood in absinthe that makes you 'trip,' or whatever you wanna call it. There are a great many different herbs in the drink, and the thujone (the supposed 'hallucinogen') content in genuine absinthe is quite low. However, the wormwood, plus all the other herbal stuff they've got crammed into that recipe combined, has some interesting properties.
For example, the liquor 'Pernod' is the recipe for absinthe, minus the wormwood. It mixes, drinks, etc the same as the real deal, except it's quite a bit sweeter, as wormwood is extremely bitter. The first time I drank pernod, I was unaware of what it was, and I started getting loopy and seeing things...I actually tripped out more on that little bit of Pernod than I ever have on any amount of real absinthe (with one exception), despite the fact it was missing the 'important' ingredient.
Now, cheap knock off brands of absinthe (namely from eastern europe) cram a lot of wormwood in to up the thujone level...sure, it'll make you freak out, but that much wormwood is also not good for you. They've also been known to add other substances to enhance the effect, and often times it winds up being rather...toxic.

Real absinthe is very subtle...you don't take a shot and start seeing shit. It WILL give you some interesting ideas...if you're into the arts, or music, or things like that, it'll mess with your creativity...I used to drink it while I was writing and the like, but the problem is, it's also A.) and aphrodesiac, and B.) it'll make you very relaxed....more often than not I lost all ambition to work, and just layed in bed staring at the cieling.
The one time I REALLY tripped out on absinthe was down right amazing, but it took me about 2 weeks of steady use to get there. I'd drink a little bit at least every other day, and over time I'm assuming it built up in my system to the point where it actually took effect. I found myself wandering around the neighboring subdivision at about midnight, in the rain, listening to the voices of the raindrops falling through the trees...colors and lights were also downright fascinating. I don't drink it that much anymore, though....I'd rather not have another trip sneak up on me while I'm, say...driving.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 pm

That was the one.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:45 pm

I'll never drink Absinthe.

CONTROVERSYYYY.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 pm

I'd rather use Absynth

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:32 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:I'll never drink Absinthe.

CONTROVERSYYYY.
You straight edge, son! sheeeeeeeei

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:59 am

poison free that's me

thujone is a poison, it blocks your GABA-A receptors, and even though its a terpenoid its not a cannabinoid so it doesn't even use/activate those receptors. GC-MS tests show that most levels of thujone printed on absinthe bottles are complete bullocks, etc etc making this drink pretty much FAIL

like you I'd rather not convulse or have any random trips, I think I'll skip out on the absinthe. If you're going to indulge- I cannot stress moderation enough, even though I haven't ever done it, from what science and general reports show this stuff is bad for you. THC sounds a lot safer/has less side effects. however I don't see any legal way of ingesting it here in the states, and since the way most people use combustion to receive the rapid onset from it that's pretty much fail too.

also lol @ using drugs for creativity
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."