how do you feel about the current state of the forum

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

what state do you think this community is currently in?

perfect, we all get along 100%
No votes
pretty good, but we have our problems
47%
we have some big problems needing fixed
13%
theres an occasional funny post, but overall its a pretty immature community thats degraded considerably.
7%
there's no real community left...just a bunch of kids hiding behind their keyboards and taking stabs at each other for fun.
33%

Total votes: 15

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:04 am

I don't have much to say due to not being a very vital member of any of IndyDDR's various crowds, as well as only knowing most of the members of the forum for such a short time, but I do like the forums more now than when I first registered. Mainly because there's a lot less fighting- not just involving me or any other specific person, but in-general everyone seems to be a lot nicer towards each other, and it's a lot more enjoyable just talking about DDR/ITG or random stuff in Conversation Cornucopia without seeing anyone fighting or getting harassed (..with the exception of aspen, but I don't know much about that). And the Indiana DDR scene in-general has been more fun after getting on friendly terms with people, mainly Casey.

I know that I don't know a lot of you very well and I know I've been a total asshole at points in time, but I love this forum and I can't really think of anyone I don't like. All in all I think IndyDDR is pretty well off, probably not as well off as it has been at times, but also better off than other times. Plus, without it I wouldn't have met some of the coolest people ever. (Or at least knew who they were.)

(Some of this post probably doesn't make any sense or goes on and on but it's three in the morning.)

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:18 am

Ho wrote:The big difference between the current community and the IndyDDR of the (now seemingly distant) past is that IndyDDR.com used to be an extension of a real life community. It was a way for people to keep in touch in between the times that we (regularly) saw each other in person.
Problem solved, lets all move to Ho's neighborhood, we could all hang out at the Ho House all the time......no seriously, this seems to be our biggest problem.

We seem to have formed our little groups pending on where we live, the L-ville people make jokes about b-towners, b-towners make jokes about indy people. And people treat others like crap online but when you meet them in real life they are nice....like for example, I thought Fluffy was the BIGGEST DICK EVER, when I first saw what he would post, and after meeting him in person he has very quickly became one of my coolest friends, so like what Ho said, we pick up the internet personality of, it is the internet who cares if I hurt someones feelings, and I know I am just as guilty at doing this.

That is why I voted we have some big problems in need of fixing, I honestly don't see that this community of didders (or pumpers or itgers or beatoffers or poppers) is dead, I think honestly we just need to hangout more and get together more and our bond will grow stronger than just an internet fourm.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:26 am

Alright everyone, now. Group hug.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:50 am

These boards are too inactive to really have major problems. There are maybe 20-25 active users I'm guessing (some only post on brag board, though)
I only post here out of boredom most days.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:36 am

Hmm, what to say, what to say...

I wasn't here in the "Golden" days of yore, but I do understand what you're saying about the rarity of the real-life meetings these days. However, this is a problem that can be easily remedied. I'm sure there are still plenty of people (on this site and off) that would still love to have the regular DDR (or other activity) meet-ups. Sure, the crowd isn't the same as it used to be; people move on, find new activities and people they enjoy, etc. But I'm sure you could get that same feeling of community and togetherness from todays crowd than yesteryear's.

Also, I don't really know why everybody keeps saying the scene in Fort Wayne is dead. The Fort has been the site of many of the more recent large-ish get-togethers (minus DAT). Not to mention that I can go to Putt-Putt here, any day of the week, at almost any time, and see somebody that I enjoy playing with or talking to. I don't know about you, but that "scene" seems pretty alive to me.

Ho, not to be accusatory in the least, but I have noticed that, in general, you seem to post less nowadays than, say, even back when I joined. Have you taken more of a "benign god" stance to the forums? Maybe the reason you don't feel as connected to the rest of the forums is because you're not making your presence felt as much as you used to? Just sayin'.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:47 am

lgolem wrote:
Ho wrote:The big difference between the current community and the IndyDDR of the (now seemingly distant) past is that IndyDDR.com used to be an extension of a real life community. It was a way for people to keep in touch in between the times that we (regularly) saw each other in person.
Problem solved, lets all move to Ho's neighborhood, we could all hang out at the Ho House all the time......no seriously, this seems to be our biggest problem.

We seem to have formed our little groups pending on where we live, the L-ville people make jokes about b-towners, b-towners make jokes about indy people. And people treat others like crap online but when you meet them in real life they are nice....like for example, I thought Fluffy was the BIGGEST DICK EVER, when I first saw what he would post, and after meeting him in person he has very quickly became one of my coolest friends, so like what Ho said, we pick up the internet personality of, it is the internet who cares if I hurt someones feelings, and I know I am just as guilty at doing this.

That is why I voted we have some big problems in need of fixing, I honestly don't see that this community of didders (or pumpers or itgers or beatoffers or poppers) is dead, I think honestly we just need to hangout more and get together more and our bond will grow stronger than just an internet fourm.
lafayette...? lol

the only other people here are only here while purdue is in, that i know of :roll:
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:36 pm

danc1005 wrote:Ho, not to be accusatory in the least, but I have noticed that, in general, you seem to post less nowadays than, say, even back when I joined. Have you taken more of a "benign god" stance to the forums? Maybe the reason you don't feel as connected to the rest of the forums is because you're not making your presence felt as much as you used to? Just sayin'.
My lack of presence is mostly due to a lack of time and a general disinterest in many of the topics of discussion here. DDR has taken a backseat to most other things and these forums have lost their focus. That's not an inherently bad thing, but given that I do not personally know many of the people that now frequent these forums, it makes it harder for me to connect with them using DDR as a common link.

But in the end, feeling connected to the forums is only a secondary goal for me. As I stated previously, I use the forums as an extension of the real life relationships that I have formed. In some cases, I form real life friendships with people I first met here, but in either case what I want is to feel connected to the community--the real people.

The main reason I don't participate as much online or in real life is that I just don't see a cohesive community of people compared to what I have experienced in the past. Today's IndyDDR is much more of a loose confabulation of factions and cliques than a society of friends united around a common interest.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 pm

I live in Oregon now so I'm pretty much OUT of the local communities but I still enjoy my time on here.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Ho wrote:The main reason I don't participate as much online or in real life is that I just don't see a cohesive community of people compared to what I have experienced in the past. Today's IndyDDR is much more of a loose confabulation of factions and cliques than a society of friends united around a common interest.
But it doesn't need to be, necessarily. I'm sure with the proper initiative and organization, along with desire, the community could be back to what it once was. I'm not saying it needs to be there, but I'm saying it could be done, I think.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:04 pm

That's just it...it never required that kind of initiative or organization before. The community formed all on its own--almost in spite of itself.

Now it seems like pulling teeth just to get a few people together. Even major events just spark griping over game selection and long waits to play rather than anything remotely resembling a community atmosphere.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Ho wrote:Even major events just spark griping over game selection and long waits to play rather than anything remotely resembling a community atmosphere.
That itself is true, but keep in mind when the original scene was around (circa 2001?), there weren't a lot of options.

-No ITG
-Hardly any Pump in the US, I think.
-Not a lot of beatmania/drummania
-No Guitar Hero/Karaoke Revolution/Other home game.

Thus, there wasn't a lot of arguing because...there wasn't anything else. Thus also, there was always a long wait because there was nothing else to do.

I'm not trying to argue or start a tif with you...I just thought that needed pointed out for the game selection.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm

Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote:
Ho wrote:Even major events just spark griping over game selection and long waits to play rather than anything remotely resembling a community atmosphere.
That itself is true, but keep in mind when the original scene was around (circa 2001?), there weren't a lot of options.

-No ITG
-Hardly any Pump in the US, I think.
-Not a lot of beatmania/drummania
-No Guitar Hero/Karaoke Revolution/Other home game.

Thus, there wasn't a lot of arguing because...there wasn't anything else. Thus also, there was always a long wait because there was nothing else to do.

I'm not trying to argue or start a tif with you...I just thought that needed pointed out for the game selection.
I smell a flame war...
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:55 am

Ho wrote:That's just it...it never required that kind of initiative or organization before. The community formed all on its own--almost in spite of itself.

Now it seems like pulling teeth just to get a few people together. Even major events just spark griping over game selection and long waits to play rather than anything remotely resembling a community atmosphere.
Okay, I see what you mean now...but even so, it's only a (I want to say "small" but I don't know how accurate that would be) percentage of players who are more concerned with scores than with having a good time. It just depends on who you play with. Sure, I play for scores, but I value interaction with other players more than getting good scores.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 am

Pheonixguy wrote:I smell a flame war...
I actually woke up this morning and thought, "Man...I hope Ho doesn't think I'm a jackass for what I posted." I'm sorry if my 2-3 posts in this thread have paralleled everything to the point where it's rude.

I'm usually not an arguing person, so I hope it didn't come off that way.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:22 am

danc1005 wrote:
Ho wrote:That's just it...it never required that kind of initiative or organization before. The community formed all on its own--almost in spite of itself.

Okay, I see what you mean now...but even so, it's only a (I want to say "small" but I don't know how accurate that would be) percentage of players who are more concerned with scores than with having a good time. It just depends on who you play with. Sure, I play for scores, but I value interaction with other players more than getting good scores.
That may be true. However, as the community has grown the total numbers of those people have increased even if the percentage hasn't (although my observation is that the percentage has indeed increased).

I can remember in the early days hardly anyone even cared about scores. We were all impressed when someone did exceptionally well, but those same people were just as likely to help out and encourage those who may have still been struggling. No one ever got made fun of or put down because they couldn't accomplish something.

Even if there are only a few people in any given group that are being anti-social score whores, it can affect the dynamic of the overall group. And that's the root of my feelings toward the current community vs. the past.

I certainly don't mean to imply that I think the current community is bad. I'm not even suggesting that being a score-oriented player is inherently bad. All I'm saying is that the overall composition of this group has changed significantly over the years and that my experience and expectations for it have changed along with it.