how do you feel about the current state of the forum

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

what state do you think this community is currently in?

perfect, we all get along 100%
No votes
pretty good, but we have our problems
47%
we have some big problems needing fixed
13%
theres an occasional funny post, but overall its a pretty immature community thats degraded considerably.
7%
there's no real community left...just a bunch of kids hiding behind their keyboards and taking stabs at each other for fun.
33%

Total votes: 15

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

how do you feel about the current state of the forum

Post by Potter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:58 pm

How do you feel about the current state of this community? do you prefer the relationships and interaction here compared to other forums you may post on? do you feel we are all pretty immature? or that we get along pretty good? is it a worthy forum to visit often and contribute to? for the older members, how would you compare it to the old forum?
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Sure there's been some evolution since wayyyyyy back in the day, but I still come here just as often as I used to.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:12 pm

In fact, I like IndyDDR so much, I'll double post.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:12 pm

When I first joined the forums, things were interesting, and I would like to come here in my free time...but nothing really interesting goes on anymore. I mean, I'm glad that the forums have cleaned up a bit...but I don't know. It's hard to really explain. :?

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:12 pm

I've only been here for about a year, and I think maybe one entire year this week. Yeah, happy birthday. Anyways, this means I haven't seen what the forum necessarily was 2...3...maybe even 4 years ago.

I really enjoy this forum. The coolest part is how (for the most part) all the members are in one area, and we can relate in person. This includes the Gettin' Together, Events/Tournaments, and Marketplace forums. We can hang out, have a tourney, or buy stuff from another, which you can't necessarily do on a lot of other message boards.

I wouldn't call the site immature. When I first joined, I was thinking "WTF...Potter makes no sense," but yet now I can understand perfectly...sometimes. The site itself has a very selective taste, and it may come off a little questionability sometimes, but life is better with some spice. I like it the way it is.

As for some of the drama that has happened on the site, such as any public mishap with Wolfen, Aspen, or even Casey (I will remain neutral with all parties involved), I can explain it in the following phrase: people get mad. If life was a time where everything was happy all the time, it wouldn't feel right. Getting angry is just natural. So, when these events of forum "disrupt" happen, I really think it's inevitable. People get mad at each other, and it happens quite frequently.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: how do you feel about the current state of the forum

Post by Ho » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm

Potter wrote:for the older members, how would you compare it to the old forum?
There really aren't any left...

The big difference between the current community and the IndyDDR of the (now seemingly distant) past is that IndyDDR.com used to be an extension of a real life community. It was a way for people to keep in touch in between the times that we (regularly) saw each other in person.

Now there is much more anonymity. I'm sure that many people can't link a real name or a face to many of the usernames here. I know there is a huge percentage of people here I've never even met. With this anonymity, people are more apt to fall into typical Internet behavior of "taking stabs at each other for fun" because the people they may be hurting are "less real" and may never be confronted in real life.

The website still facilitates real life meetings, but they are much more infrequent and involve much smaller percentages of the total community. What was once a unifying platform for friends has become a repository of fickle, loosely organized cliques. And frankly, I think that has driven away most of the older members.

Most events now leave me with a sense of empty disappointment from people bickering over scores, pad misses, and long waits to play on a machine. I can remember when I would wait an hour between plays even at our regular (non-special-event) weekly meetings! But I couldn't have cared less because the people around me were so engaging that I hardly noticed the time.

The last time I really felt a general sense of community was back in the Westside days. But that was over two years ago now and, in my opinion, still overshadowed by my memories of Super Fun, Block Party, and the original GameWorks group. Almost no one from any of those groups still comes around to see what IndyDDR has become.

I suppose that change is inevitable, but IndyDDR is not at all what it once was. I've been here from the beginning, so my perspective is nearly unique. I have much more to compare against than the vast majority that are here now. I hope that this site is still of some value to people, but I know that its current state does not produce the excitement and motivation for me that I had in the 2001-2005 era when I was actively trying to promote, develop, and grow this site.

My interest in DDR has always been fueled by the social experiences that have developed around it. IndyDDR was a labor of love for me to support those people that became a part of my life as a result of the game. However, at some point the focus of the community seems to have shifted toward the game itself and away from the community atmosphere.

That's not to say that I dislike the people that are here now. There are a few that I've met in the past couple years whose company I very much enjoy. It's just that they seem to be the exceptions now and most everyone else has faded into a mesh of background noise for which I have a general feeling of indifference.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:27 pm

ah, I understand your view much more now. and would have to agree, it's not as "real" as it used to be whatsoever. I remember the weekly meetups, the almost monthly parties/big gettogethers, etc. and yes, I even remember the westside days, even if I was a 12 year old kid who was pretty much hated by everybody, it was probably the greatest fun I ever had back then. all the shenanigans and stuff, it was a great time.

sadly, it just kind of dwindled down after westsides fall. not sure if they're related events, its just really dwindled down. I would love it if there was still weekly events with as many people as there used to be. but all I'm aware of now is small meetups occasionally for piu. I could be wrong, I have to admit I've lost touch with the real community also.

It would be great if we could organize another park meetup or house party type thing. those were GREAT times. (anybody up for this?)

whatever it comes down to Ho you should know how grateful we all are that you started and chose to stick with this community. its brought alot of good things into peoples lives. talking to fluffy he brought up the fact that through indyddr hes found both his roommates, his girlfriend, and quite possibly a job. I myself have found my best friend. Thanks again, even though you may not like the way it's turned out.
Last edited by Potter on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:27 pm

I don't think he was going back to the yahoo boards Brian. I've been here since like 02-03...
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:37 pm

Ho wrote:The big difference between the current community and the IndyDDR of the (now seemingly distant) past is that IndyDDR.com used to be an extension of a real life community. It was a way for people to keep in touch in between the times that we (regularly) saw each other in person.
Ho, I can understand what you mean here. IndyDDR took a scene of people, and gave them a temporary connection. However, on this other hand, I have met (and become close to) significantly more people with the "current" forum alone that otherwise I would have never heard of. Such people are:
-Cbav, Greenfield (Even just 10 minutes away from me)
-Dan, Fort Wayne
-Katy/Mike, Indy

If not for this site, I wouldn't have even heard of you, and even if this site isn't so much of a "keep in touch" forum, it's now a "nice to meet you" forum. That, in my opinion, is just as good, if not better.
Ho wrote:I know there is a huge percentage of people here I've never even met. With this anonymity, people are more apt to fall into typical Internet behavior of "taking stabs at each other for fun" because the people they may be hurting are "less real" and may never be confronted in real life.
I can see where you're coming from, however I remain adamant that people are just as likely to fight in person as they are over the net. It's a common fact of life to have disagreements and often altercations that follow.
Ho wrote:The website still facilitates real life meetings, but they are much more infrequent and involve much smaller percentages of the total community.
That is very true. However, the community has grown since. Also, the community is more spread out. A large reason the groups don't meet up for larger groups is that I can't be up in Fort Wayne every reason, and the folks in Bloomington might not want to go to Greenfield's That Fun Place, so this IndyDDR now is also similar to the one you hinted at before: it establishes a gap between the times we see another.
Ho wrote:Most events now leave me with a sense of empty disappointment from people bickering over scores, pad misses, and long waits to play on a machine. I can remember when I would wait an hour between plays even at our regular (non-special-event) weekly meetings! But I couldn't have cared less because the people around me were so engaging that I hardly noticed the time.
It's always gross to see people complain like that, but you can't blame the community for something like that; you simply have to blame the people. I myself am a firm believer in the philosophy that "if you didn't have fun, why did you do it?" Scores don't necessarily matter to me as much as having fun at the arcade with some friends, but with the current state of DDR in the nation, let alone the world, a handful of people are going to complain. It's inevitable at some point.
Ho wrote:The last time I really felt a general sense of community was back in the Westside days. But that was over two years ago now and even that was only a shadow compared to my memories of Super Fun, Block Party, and the original GameWorks groups. Almost no one from any of those groups is still comes around to see what IndyDDR has become.
In my opinion, it's not that we don't get together, it's that those venues aren't there anymore (sans Gameworks). I, for one, loved Superfun. It was the first place I saw DDR. It brought me to DDR, and eventually here in a long roundabout story. I was at DAT1, bought a shirt, and never went to the site. However, I finally wore the shirt again 3-4 years ago, and then went to the site for the first time.

So there might not be a general sense of community anymore at the arcades. There might only be a handful of people somewhere on a good night. This is where the current forum acts as our crutch. If we can't go hang out and play DDR somewhere, this is an alternative that beats nothing. For me, gas money and driving 20-30+ miles is always a problem, and is one of the main factors that I don't play as much as I should. However, this site is like a group of friends that I wouldn't trade for...something valuable.
Ho wrote:I suppose that change is inevitable, but IndyDDR is not at all what it once was. I hope that it is still of some value to people, but I know that its current state would not produce the excitement and motivation I had in the 2001-2005 era when I was actively trying to promote, develop, and grow this site.
Change is always inevitable. IndyDDR is not what it once was, and I can agree with that. However, just because it isn't what is was, doesn't mean it's bad. I'd say that the site has changed (although I haven't been around to see it), but that this "change" is for a good way. As again, it's more of a "nice to meet you," as compared to "keep in touch."
Ho wrote:That's not to say that I dislike the people that are here now. There are a few that I've met in the past couple years whose company I very much enjoy. It's just that they seem to be the exceptions now and most everyone else has faded into a mesh of background noise for which I have a general sense of indifference.
I can agree with that. Ho, you're one of the nicest people I've met on this site. I've never seen you get mad or riled up, and you're quite the congenial person. We've only met in person twice, but given the opportunity, I'd meet up at an arcade with you. It's just the location. That's why this site is important to me.

The thought I want you to keep in mind most:

If I didn't have IndyDDR, I'd have almost no DDR at all.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:49 pm

I've been around since.... um.... 2002? Something like that....

I agree with Ho, but on Jeff's note, through IndyDDR I've met a lot of people and would not be friends with them if it weren't for IndyDDR. Hell it gave me a roommate and good friend at IU when I was first moving in, and kind of reunited me and Merk back in 03' or so.

Like Chad said I still go to this board every day and check every thread, sooooo it's not fading too fast.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote: If I didn't have IndyDDR, I'd have almost no DDR at all.
If i didnt have indyddr, i wouldnt know about piu or itg or bm or ffr... (and probably other things)

Ive never met any of you (or even attempted to for that matter) but i still love coming here... im sure though when i get older i will try to go to things, being 14 i cant exactly get my parents to go to indy just to play ddr ^_^

as for the site i think its just a normal forum, only smaller and more localized than most. and i have absolutly no idea what it was like before but it seems just fine now :)
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

jihnsius
Light
Light

Post by jihnsius » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I don't even live in Indiana, does that mean I can't vote?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:53 pm

I hope no one thought that I think less of meeting online leading to the formation of a real life connection vs. supplementing an established real life relationship with online communication. I know that I've certainly made a point of meeting people in real life that I first encountered here over the years. Many wonderful friendships have come out from doing just that!

The only reason that I made the distinction in my previous post is because of the general attitude I have observed among people who meet in real life first vs. those that meet (or never meet) online. In my experience, people tend to treat each other better online (or at least choose not to treat each other poorly) when there is an existing real life relationship.

Like I said, the social aspect is what attracted me to and has kept me with this community for so many years. I still meet people both at real life meetups as well as online that I am pleased to call my friends. It just seems that it has been happening less and less frequently as time has gone on.

When I first started playing DDR, it had very much a niche audience. As such, it attracted a pretty unique group of people. And as part of that group, I think I found many more people with whom I connected well.

As DDR has become more mainstream, it attracts a lot more mainstream people. Many of them are more concerned with getting high scores and "being the best" than they are with creating a unique culture and community.

Of course there are still people around that are more like the people I remember from the early years, but they now represent only a small part of a much larger crowd when they used to be the majority. I think that's the biggest part of my change in attitude toward the community as a whole. It's certainly not all bad--I just remember a time when it was nearly all good.

Again, these are all judgments made from my own perspective. My disillusionment is based on a difference of experience from past to present and not a condemnation of the entirety of the current community. It certainly pleases me to hear that people are still forming friendships as a result of this community.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Hrm... how to approach this...

I stumbled upon DDR in the summer of 2001, I believe (because I was 15 at the time), and shortly after that became involved with the IndyDDR community, if only in a very non-direct way. Through this wonderful game, site, and community I have found love, friendship, and just general good times. Along with those have come heartbreak, rivalry, and just general crappy times.

This is life.

The IndyDDR community is very much a living, breathing entity. Albeit it should probably be referred to as more of a hive-mind than anything. You get what you put into it. That being said, in such a diverse and unique environment, you run the entire gamut of personalities and lifestyles. You will always have "nice people" as well as "assholes"... these people butt heads from time to time. But I find that in the spirit of community, most squabbles are put to rest before they truly come to a head.

Having spent nearly 6 years playing and being involved in the community in whatever shape or form at the time, I would say that IndyDDR is definitely a different beast than it was when I first came around. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. As I said, you get what you put in, as well as your mileage varying. Most people that I used to hang out with/play with are no longer around... the communities that I was most interested in (Westside and Old School GW) are either no longer around or have turned into something that I'm no longer interested in... so this turns IndyDDR into a place where I can come and reminisce on times gone by and hopefully hear a tidbit about how someone that I used to know is doing.

So I don't really know where I'm going with this, and that was a very long, slightly run-on paragraph.

In short, of course it's different, at least for me. Everyone that I know or used to know has grown up, moved away, or simply does not have time for something like DDR anymore. Also, the entity that is IndyDDR will weed out douchebags and correct it's own problems, oust the members that truly need to be ousted.

edit: Also. posting in an epic thread. lulz.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:01 am

There are a lot of people on here I haven't met, and I wouldn't mind meeting...but hell, I live in Fort Wayne. The scene here is...well, pretty much dead. And I'm sure as hell not driving to Indy when the scene there appears to be nothing like it used to be.
I used to want to go down to Indy for the regular meetups, to meet a lot of the people on this site...but now they've all, for the most part, gone their seperate ways.