Dreams...and the discussion of them

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:45 pm

I have weird, fucked up dreams. Basically.

Ever since my girlfriend died, I only had nightmares when I dreamed. Never anything spicific, just disturbing images and things. People maglining themselves, eating each other, hurting themsleves, or otherwise hurting each other. Sometimes, I would even have dreams that I was being killed, or someone was killing me.

The main problem with these nightmares, is that when I had them, They were extreamly vivid, and I would have trouble realizing that it wasn't real when I would first wake up.

I've been nightmare-free for about 7 months now. But I still have great difficulty sleeping.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:16 pm

Wow mans that sucks, I'm glad you've been nightmare free though.

Have you thought about learning how to dream lucidly? It takes a bit of practice, but it might help you.

Prehaps the killing theme means you've felt victimized by her death.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:46 pm

Fagulous wrote:Wow mans that sucks, I'm glad you've been nightmare free though.

Have you thought about learning how to dream lucidly? It takes a bit of practice, but it might help you.

Prehaps the killing theme means you've felt victimized by her death.
Don't worry about it, I'm not.

I don't dream much anymore. And I litterally can't remember the last time I had a dream that wasn't a nightmare.

And as for my girlfriend? She's in my past, and I'd rather not talk about her online anyway.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:22 am

Be careful with the lucid dreaming thing, especially if it's an out of body sort of dream. I don't know how many people here believe in that sort of thing, but if you die 'out of body,' your body may die too, or at least, you'll become comatose. This is all in theory, mind you, but it's an interesting theory.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:36 am

Original Sin wrote:Be careful with the lucid dreaming thing, especially if it's an out of body sort of dream. I don't know how many people here believe in that sort of thing, but if you die 'out of body,' your body may die too, or at least, you'll become comatose. This is all in theory, mind you, but it's an interesting theory.
The obvious question of course would be, if you die in your sleep because of your dream, how can you tell anyone what happened??
It's true that usually in a dream you wake up right before you die (or hit the ground in falling dreams which are quite common). But I've died a number of times in my dreams over the years, and I'm still quite alive....

Darkstarwebstar
Standard
Standard

lucid dreamin

Post by Darkstarwebstar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:13 pm

What is the Lucid Dreaming? i might have missed what it said it was but please fill me in. something about out of body i think
You're beautiful
Well I'm a total wreck and almost every day.
Like the firing squad or the mess you made.
Well don't I look pretty walking down the street.
In the best damn dress(pair of pants for me) I own?
My Chemical Romance- Give Em Hell, Kid

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:18 pm

A lucid dream is when you're somewhat consciously aware that you're dreaming, which can lead to both you having a degree of control over your dream and having a better memory of it upon waking.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:37 pm

Supposedly, things like lucid dreams and 'falling dreams', things like that, are OBE. Out of body experience, as they say, when your spirit actually leaves your body and goes somewhere, while your body lays dormant. Supposedly, if something happens in the dream where you're 'killed,' your body will be severed from your spirit, and leave you either comatose, or dead. That's the theory anyway.
Of course, not all dreams are OBE or lucid, so getting killed in one dream could mean nothing, if it's just a normal dream. Personally, I don't recall ever dying in a dream, but I know some people who have.

dancing queen iu
Standard
Standard

Post by dancing queen iu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:38 pm

I died in a lucid dream once. And yes, it was lucid. But I didn't die in real life. I'm still here, yo. Although I woke up and thought I was dead because I didn't realize that I was sleeping somewhere other than my room, I was like "wtf? this is the afterlife?" And then I sat up and realized I was on vacation.
I'm IndyDDR's Favourite #1 Bitch

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:09 pm

I rarely remember dreams and I don't know why. Maybe I'm just too damn tired to dream.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:24 am

I usually don't remember mine either, but when I do, they're wierd. :?

Gatekeeper
Standard
Standard

Post by Gatekeeper » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:54 am

I used to have semilucid dreams all the time. I say semilucid because even though I was aware I was in a dream, I still wasn't thinking rationally. As soon as I realized I was in a dream, for some reason, I would become terrified of it and do anything in my power to try and wake up.

I can clearly remember what this feels like, and it's a fascinating experience. Right at the edge of waking I could feel two bodies, my real body which of course was paralyzed and my dream body which seemed to slowly become harder and harder to feel. Waking always felt like swimming to the stop of a deep lake.

Now I don't buy all of that OOB stuff that Original Sin was talking about, or that you can die if you die in a lucid dream, but sleep can be pretty weird. Of course as soon as I would wake up I'd ask myself why I wanted to wake up so bad when I could have had fun with the lucid dream and done whatever I wanted. Again, I only consider them to be semilucid since I wasn't really rational, just aware I was in a dream.

Over the years, the semilucid dreams have stopped since I stopped getting enough sleep. I only get them occasionally on the weekends now, and never during the week, when I only get six hours a night.