[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by ShammerS » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:01 am

Assuming it’s not a fake listing, a machine popped up on Craigslist pretty close to where I live right now.

Brian pointed out that this is a Techno Motion cab. I came to realize I have no idea what the implications of that are as I’ve never seen TM, played it, or have any clue what the internals are. Any input is welcome, if only to open discussion with you folks I miss so dearly.

Wifey and I looking at returning to Indiana next Fall.😍

Annnyway the pads alone might be worth it as I go COVID stir-crazy.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/vgm/d/pl ... 55982.html

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:36 am

No clue about internals but a lot of people end up converting it to a Stepmania cab and run thousands of custom songs anyways, not sure what you'd need to take into consideration if that ends up being your plan (I'm sure Brandon can elaborate with all the minimaid stuff, I'm sure there are equivalents for ITG/Techno Motion/other games).

I miss my machine a little bit but I'm considering just getting one of those really nice metal pads that Shannon bought recently and just playing off of a PC setup to not have to worry about replacing 30 year old Japanese arcade parts. And not have to figure out moving it from Florida to Indiana! Would be nice to have a familiar face back in the land of the rising corn!

Hope the baby is doing well and is finally sleeping =)

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:38 am

Riot wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:36 am
No clue about internals but a lot of people end up converting it to a Stepmania cab and run thousands of custom songs anyways, not sure what you'd need to take into consideration if that ends up being your plan (I'm sure Brandon can elaborate with all the minimaid stuff, I'm sure there are equivalents for ITG/Techno Motion/other games).

I miss my machine a little bit but I'm considering just getting one of those really nice metal pads that Shannon bought recently and just playing off of a PC setup to not have to worry about replacing 30 year old Japanese arcade parts. And not have to figure out moving it from Florida to Indiana! Would be nice to have a familiar face back in the land of the rising corn!

Hope the baby is doing well and is finally sleeping =)
what really nice metal pad? I wanna pick one up for pc stepmania too to de-fat but I looked at pads a while back and it seemed the cobalts died off and all that was left were shitty foam pads
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:42 am

nevermind found his facebook post: https://shop.steprevolution.com/collect ... generation

$1500 OOF

can I spend like 500 dollars on something that won't be incredible but will allow me 2 stomp 2 mein beat
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:58 am

Shammers! Que pada chingada?!

You can *probably* get a cab these days for around $2,000 shipped and that's probably the way to go if your roots in life have been settled but again it's all about how much you really want to put into playing DDR. If you're even the tiniest bit serious then get a cab, the home pad market is essentially non-existent now but you may be lucky and find a gem on the second hand market in the Rhythm Game buy/sell/trade group on Facebook.

You're prolly not gonna see this in time but here's a listing on ebay that's pretty typical: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KONAMI-DANCE-D ... SwX~BffmIc

Shipping is almost certainly going to be around $500 so tack that onto any price you pay

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:30 am

Oh I saw this lil bad boy, I’m guessing the high-visibility of ebay will inflate it to 5k.

For that price I could get a red cabinet with a real nice monitor and pads ten years younger.

Miss you merkyboi

Anyone play on a StepmaniaX pad? There’s one in an arcade near me and I’m just curious if ol KaW has a solid product on his hands.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Shannon has one and has said good things about it. He used to own a machine too but sold one, so I'm sure he could give you a pretty detailed comparison of how both feel.

I've been considering getting one at some point again. I pretty much ran a Stepmania mini PC with 2000+ songs on my old machine, and likely would do the same if I started playing again (which I should, I'm getting faaaaaaat). I think the convenience of having one really nice pad (which is honestly the main reason I wanted an arcade in the first place, for the nice pad) that doesn't take up quite as much space and is a bit more mobile is appealing to me. Plus easier to just plug and play to PC.

I'm sure there are lots of reviews out there on Youtube, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4xiaP3PkE

But yeah ask Shannon!

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Stepmaniax pads are incredible. You definitely have to dial in the sensitivity to your playstyle but they're high quality. It's Kyle Ward's latest company.

Friend splurged for the dedicab setup and it's been great to play on. With most everyone trying to mod their arrows to be more flat, remove the brackets, etc, it's nice to just have it that way from the get-go.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Now that we're all old (except Potter), why do you play DDR?

I play for exercise mostly. Get random packs, play random songs, and enjoy a good sweat! It's also a fun way to hang out with some trustworthy neighbors during the COVID TIMES.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 am

Exercise for sure since DDR isn't relevant anymore in the vidjagame zeitgeist. The game is still fun; it scratches that nostalgia itch and getting a good score feels like an accomplishment!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Random thought of the day:

I am posting on IndyDDR in 2021.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:19 am

same bro we out here

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:19 pm

yo nearing my 20th anniversary posting round these parts

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Yo real talk we need to go back to web 1.0 shit (aka forums) when it comes to internet discourse. All this 140-character no-anonymity 2021 bullshit is bullshit.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:27 pm

I am so excited to have indyDDR be all of our epitaphs after we all leave this mortal coil. Cant wait for whatever babbies I end up having to read this shit their dear ol' dead dad posted when we was 15

Our shitposts will last longer than us