[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Riot » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:41 pm

Yeah I use that site all the time whenever I start a new game or am looking at stuff to consider playing/buying on Steam. Helpful.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:03 pm

Beet has "N/A" listed as its completion time. It never ends, the Beet struggle never ends.

DDR Extreme oddly enough has 15 hours as its completion time

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:53 pm

Yeah. I don't know what it means to beat a game that doesn't have an ending. You could make arguments for beating OMES, the hardest Oni Course, or AAA everything.

Earthbound was the Google search that brought me to the site.

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=111
I suppose I should've seen that coming.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Earthbound so good. Are you actually goan play it?!

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Honestly if you were no-glitch speedrunning 999 you could probably beat it in like 2 hours.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:27 am

Typing correctly... I've never really typed the way one is supposed to, and I'd like to kick my nasty habit. Before I learn the usual chart, linked below, does anyone have a recommendation for an alternate fingering method? I'm not interested in Dvorak.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:58 am

I use the customary QWERTY hand placement, but I do occasionally "cross over" and use one hand to hit a key normally assigned to a key on the other side of the keyboard. It's something I've developed over 25+ years of typing. I don't intentionally do it and never intentionally learned it. It just happens when I have my hand moved over to one extreme, e.g. to hit a bunch of qwaszx type keys and then need to hit something over on the other extreme of that hand, like g, when no other letters on the "other" hand are coming up (in the example case, I'd often use my right hand to hit the 'g').

I do about 90-110WPM from copy with near-100% (with corrections included in the aforementioned speed) accuracy. I'm brain-limited to slower speeds when not typing from copy, generally.

I do know a few people who type moderately faster than me. I don't know if they use any non-standard techniques. I can ask if you like.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Just play Beet, it's basically typing, here lemme show you:

hfurhfufhufhfhufhufhfuhfuhfhhfhfggrgtrgrtgfyfhjgfyfgthgygjgyghfyfhgyfgthjgtfhgyghfgfhgytjthgughgugjgugjjjjjjjjjjfhfytfhfytfhhhhhhhhgytfghfgfuytuyuuuugjhfgjhfgjhfgjhfguyfgugfuygfuygfuygfuyguygfuyfguyhttjyhjtyhjtyhjtyhtjyhjtyhjthy

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 pm

It's up to you. I'm mostly curious since it's 2015, and typing has been relatively unchanged in the last 100 years. That said, I'd be happy to have 80+ wpm with fewer mistakes. I am a bad at type.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:24 pm

For whatever reason, I type without the use of my left pinky on letter keys. My right pinky hits all the punctuation keys but my left one is basically just a shift and control finger. I do about 95 wpm on a typing test like that. IMAGINE WHAT I COULD DO WITH A LEFT PINKY INVOLVED...

...probably worse.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:54 pm

We play 10fastfingers.com in class all the time. I am usually about 110-130 WPM accurately. Best I've ever done is 155 but that was pretty lucky. I don't type in the "proper" way; I kind of slide my fingers quickly... it's kind of thanks to Stepmania and typing with one hand with the other hand on the mouse from growing up with PC games I think. I don't find much value on typing with the proper hand setup as long as you can do it quickly and accurately, which is what I tell my students much to the chagrin of the older teachers.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:33 pm

if I want it to be accurate and not look like shit I can normally do 105-110wpm, but it's super fucked up and basically using my two pointer fingers only. I've always guessed that if I bothered to learn to type properly and use the other 80% of my hands I could probably reach those crazy alien wpmz

but2lazy
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 am

Car died on the road yesterday during the crazy bad storms. No idea what's wrong with it but it seems like the alternator. My gauges and dashboard lights started going crazy, my windshield wipers had next to no power, and after about 10 minutes the car just died. Thank God I had gotten off the interstate!

I got the car towed to a nearby Toyota dealership and they are looking at it now. I fully expect to get fucked by $500 to $600.

I have a shitty rental though so at least I can get to work

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:24 am

Just because the alternator is rated at higher amps does not mean that you will use it. The regulator controls the fielding of the alternator. Look on your equipment tag or window sticker to see what yours came with. I just looked on mine and it has a 120 amp. I run a plow, dump bed, salter lights ect. and never have a problem.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Just because the alternator is rated at higher amps does not mean that you will use it. The regulator controls the fielding of the alternator. Look on your equipment tag or window sticker to see what yours came with. I just looked on mine and it has a 120 amp. I run a plow, dump bed, salter lights ect. and never have a problem.
I demand to see the work involved in rigging all that up to a Subaru.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.