[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:19 am

Merk wrote:I still don't know what people would even do at a Tumblr-con. Do they just talk about gender roles for 3 days straight?
http://dashcon2014b.sched.org/

A lot of it is gender topics, yeah. And other media people fangirl over mainly.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:28 am

Today I noticed a Doctor Who reference and asked if it was a Sherlock reference and pretended I thought they were the same thing and a person got really angry.

Also this con thing reminds me of Las Pegasus Unicon which was a Brony convention where the two planners legit scammed everybody and fled to Mexico. A much more sizable $150,000.
iirc they scammed people by telling everyone that they'd be using an imaginary currency during the convention so vendors and guests all paid money for this fake money that would supposedly get cashed in later and then the convention organizers pulled the fire alarm and booked it and then several Bronies were homeless in Vegas for a few days as they lost all the money to pay for hotels.

Speaking of brownies why is it called Dashcon if it's a Tumblr con? I thought it was another brony convention because of Rainbow-Dash, but maybe tumblrtits thing the asterisk in trans* and other such things is a dash. Or does Tumblr have a monopoly on Brony internet real-estate now and it's a dominant fandom? I thought that was Doctor Who or Sherlock or maybe that Avatar show.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:46 am

Love the scammer hate the scam?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:57 am

I feel conflicted about conventions since, by their very nature, they are kind of a waste of precious dollars. You're really just paying to jerk off some form of entertainment and to be around like-minded people. I mean really, what are you actually getting out of going to any given convention? More often than not the only tangible thing to get out of a con that you can't get anywhere else is a panel (assuming it doesn't get YouTubed). Any exclusive shit that you may find at a vendor will probably be marked-up to hell and will be listed on eBay in a few months or will be flat-out sold like any other mundane item. The crowds are all socially awkward people who I would never hang out with at any time other than at a convention (obviously this is dependent on the con itself).

Don't get me wrong, I like going to conventions, but I sort of treat them as a distraction from my otherwise average white guy 9-5 life and I do my best to not drink the Kool-Aid and go on a hog-wild spending spree. Now that I think about it, all the favorite parts of my convention trips have been doing shit that doesn't directly involve the con: With GenCon it was the Bemani room, with ColossalCon it was playing water basketball with a bunch of black dudes, and at ACEN it was listening to J-Core. I've never really gone to a panel or bought something at a con and thought, "Man, I sure am glad I went to / bought this thing it was well worth the cost of admission."

The only exception to all of this I can think of is GenCon but I am biased since I live in Indy and I don't have to arrange a hotel or a flight. I don't see a problem with spending $75 to do this nerdy shit in my hometown but I do have a problem with blowing $300+ to travel somewhere to do nerdy shit.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:22 pm

You're pretty spot on for the most part. I think there is an appeal to seeing stuff you otherwise wouldn't be exposed to, which for me is usually some kind of video or board game. I also see conventions almost like sporting events. People get hype en masse, and it's sort of fun to be a part of that hype. Even Big Bang, for all of its faults, was awesome because we had a chance to chill with some people that were hype about old games. Cons are a social thing.

Anime cons are the oddity since I don't care about anything except j-core and video games.

I'd really like to check out MAGfest, PAX, the bourbon festival. Are festivals basically the same thing as conventions?

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:50 pm

I've heard that PAX is worth doing only once. After your first trip the subsequent trips are always disappointing since the "newness" as worn off.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd like to check it out but God damn fuck Boston.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:02 pm

I really wish there were a PAX central in Chicago.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:39 pm

I really wish MAGfest was not during the God damn New Year holiday. Grown ass men are just starting the new year and if they work full time then they very likely have not accrued any vacation for the year.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Merk wrote:I really wish MAGfest was not during the God damn New Year holiday. Grown ass men are just starting the new year and if they work full time then they very likely have not accrued any vacation for the year.
Can you only use vacation as you accrue it?

Erica6924
Standard
Standard

Post by Erica6924 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Just an FYI. Losing weight/being skinny was much easier when I had access to inexpensive ddr. Can someone with all their awesome machines move to Idaho please? THEN I can skip the gym!
~*Erica*~

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 am

Oh hey what's up Erica?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Woah, Erica's still here. LTNS. How's Idaho?

Not really looking to relocate, though, sorry...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 am

That seems..... completely out of left field?!?!