[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Re: [Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

Post by WhiteDragon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 am

The worst I've seen of bad pathing in my game is with the firetrucks sometimes doing a few laps trying to figure out what fire to go to. Otherwise, I haven't had any difficulty.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:37 am

Full disclosure, you probably won't see a lot of issues when you are just starting out, once you start filling out the small as hell maps and start hitting 150-200k population all the bugs and shit start popping up. That's assuming you can log in and not actually have your city randomly deleted.

Be glad your firetruck didn't get stuck behind a bus or garbage truck! Giving right of way to emergency vehicles doesn't exist in SimCity. QA testing wooooooo!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:10 pm

lol

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:36 pm

I can't believe merk is still going on about this. My second city hit 250k last night and it's running beautifully.

edit: oh look, all the routing issues were just patched. Anything else babby merk?
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:09 pm

And in the meantime EA had to:

Fire their CEO (although I'll admit this probably has more to do with that retarded Star Wars MMO)
Offer people who bought the game a free game as an apology
Increase their server capacity by 400% because people could literally not play the game they bought
Do damage control by lying about how their game had to absolutely be "Online Only" to function even after that was proven to be a lie

This game is a rushed, buggy piece of shit. EA's fiscal year ends in March if that gives any indication to you about how EA didn't give a shit about the game and made a complete business decision about the release date. Is the game done lololol? Doesn't matter, they need to get that sweet revenue in so they can be in the black to their investors and the sad thing is they know this will work because people will buy it thanks to the words "SimCity" being slapped on the box. This has been EA's M.O. for years.

I *want* to like this game but I'm not going to lie to myself to do it. I hope that this patch actually does fix the horrible, horrible pathing because right now building a city with an intuitive design simply does not work. I genuinely hope that EA does a 180 and allows people to play off-line so we can have an actual mod scene that will make the game worth playing a la Sim City 4 but I'm not holding my breath. After getting burned horribly by Diablo 3 I thought that Sim City might be worthy of being a good time waster but NOPE! my soul got crushed again. Fuck video games.

Potter I'm glad you like the game. There are people that enjoy getting pissed on as well and hey, if that's your bag then that's cool with me but please keep the golden showers away from me.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 pm

tldr, busy playing sims
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Let ya nutz hang

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Not saying Potter is doing this, but I know I've lied to myself about liking things. I was pumped as shit for Star Wars Episode I back in the day. I waited in line for hours to get a ticket, and brought a plastic light saber to the show. When I walked out of the theater, I said to myself, "Hey... that was different... but in a good way!" It was all a defense mechanism. My fragile psyche couldn't accept that I'd been dicked. Dicked right in the ass. Dicked hard and proper.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 am

I just have yet to have any issues....it'd been an extremely fluid gaming experience. No crashes, no obstacles I couldn't overcome, just the fun of building and then running into challenges, and then learning how to overcome them. It's rare I can launch a game, and it keeps me involved enough that several hours pass by before I notice. This is one of those games. The amount of hype and bitching around this game is absolutely ridiculous...it's a game. A game in which 99% of the original issues are now patched. Why wouldn't I enjoy it? What doesn't work? What is so corely broken that it's not an enjoyable experience? huh merk? You either don't own the game and you just like to whine, or you secretly do own it but are just so bad at it you're taking the frustration out on issues that are no longer relevant. For me it's working great, I have no problem quickly raising density, and zero drm or cloud related issues. It just works. Maybe it's because I'm not dumb? I really dunno

Currently playing my third city, it just broke 220k. Biggest issue I'm having is exporting enough of my plastic so my recycling reclamation lines don't back up! Turns out when you build a number of schools off the bat, your higher educated populace recycles a lot more....so much that I'm running out of storage for the reclamated products. See? Another thing learnt to carry over to my next city! I think I'm going to try a forest town next

I guess experiences and life in general are just more fun when you don't bitch like a crybaby? I dunno

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 am

So yea. While this SimCity complaining is going on, I'm just going to play Heart of the Swarm (if it ever arrives) and Jet Set Radio HD. (Love that series!)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 am

It's cool you didn't run into any DRM issues or any of the bullshit pathing issues but that doesn't mean they don't exist or that *a lot* of people, like me, weren't impacted by it. This game has problems - game breaking problems - just look at the .gifs on the last page. There are a lot of people who have a bone to pick with EA and love to whine for the sake of feeling oppressed or some bullshit but I think this is one of those cases where people are justified. I feel the same way about Diablo 3 - SimCity 4 came out in 2003, it's not like Maxis had 10 fucking years to get their shit together. People had an expectation with all the hype surrounding GlassBox that SimCity 5 was going to be the bee's knees but here we are.

Have not played the game since it was patched yesterday so maybe "99%" of the problems have been fixed, I didn't get home until 9:00pm. Did they add Cheetah speed back in? Did they make the city size bigger? No? Sweet!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 am

Jesus fucking christ I can't believe Google actually wants to argue with me over My Little Pony in forum for Ingress. Google god damn developers. Formally changing my opinion to 'hate that show' instead of indifference.

Hey internet, I don't mindlessly jump on bandwagons. Sorry if that doesn't make me cool.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am

I've had cheetah speed since I bought the game a week ago...what server are you on?

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:33 am

Cheetah doesn't work, you can select it but it actually doesn't do anything. Compare Cheetah speed to whatever the double-arrow speed is - they are the exact same.