[Grubb's] Random Thoughts of the Day

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 pm

This really goes out to most of you, so here's a "PM" I sent a moment ago (to BlackCat)...

(subject: "Hi, I'm Jon.")
blackcat wrote:SECONDEDEDEDED

I could care less about the maturity or the intelligence of the people that post here. I just think that you lock threads for the hell of it, and maybe locking them wouldn't be so bad if you weren't such an ass about it. You like, insult people and then lock it.

Also, Jizzon posts like once in a blue moon. And like, when he does decide to post, he goes through like every thread and locks what doesn't please him. I think that is ridiculous.
Well, now you know my name; don't be afraid to talk to me in the future about things that I do that bother you here. Seriously! I should be held accountable for what I do here, as everyone else is. Ultimately my only real grade as a mod is the overall satisfaction of the forum visitors, yah?

Here are the guidelines I use to lock a thread:

1. It's in the wrong place. The most recent example is Potter's YouTube link that was in the wrong place (and also the conversation got very off-topic there). Good link, wrong place.

2. Excessive amounts of images, or grossly large images. Anytime anyone has to scroll down for dozens of screens to see one or two posts without any kind of warning or specific reason, something's not good with the situation.

3. Conversation in a particular thread has consistently been off-topic, despite repeated warnings from mods. Posters are welcome to start the same topic again as another thread, knowing that if it gets derailed again, it will once again be locked or deleted.

4. Spam. There, that one's easy >.>

5. An event has passed by an appreciable margin. The old DDR-A-Thon threads, tournaments...we lock and purge these once they get very old.

6. Blatent profanity or attacks on another user.

7. Two person conversations that should be PMs. In fairness, many of these are left alone. Some of them contain information that might be relevant or interesting to other readers, but to let all of them go would clog the place unnecessarily. PMs are there for a reason, after all.

And, the touchiest one:

8. Pointless threads. Subjectivity alert! Yes, many of these are personal discretion. IndyDDR is a pretty chill forum, as Potter and Riot have both stated. They're right; that really is one of the best things about this place. But here's something not many people know. I don't lock threads with this "rule" simply based on my own judgment; I wait for at least one other regular member to say something about it as well, either publically or privately via a PM.

I really, truly don't just look for threads to lock. It might not matter to you what the maturity and/or intelligence level of the average poster is, but it's kind of my job here. Really, I'm like an...internet janitor or something. Twist time, though...who they are is irrelevant in that regard! It's what they post that I care about (at least in the mod capacity).

Now, as far as being an ass...well yeah, I did kind of go off the deep end there. I have to apologize about that. It's much more frustrating to me to lock stupid things posted by people who I know to be intelligent, well-tempered, and witty (like Potter and Riot). Doing this repeatedly in the span of a few days makes me want to let people know that what they are doing doesn't belong here. If I come on strong, it's intentional. I know the people I'm snapping at are capable of more! Potter went OFF on me in a PM, oh man...but hey, he's got his own opinion on the situation, and I'm glad he took the time to start a real dialogue. That's how things get figured out, and fixed. If someone chooses the option to retort by breaking the other rules laid out here, those posts go away until the person at hand leaves, gets tired of it and moves on with life, or best of all, talks with me about it.

I really don't post very often, but I'm always here. If I am posting (without being a mod while doing so) it's usually in a very niche thread or forum, like about beatmania. I've been around for a long time (all of the pictures of me looking like an ass in the Photo Archive are a good benchmark), so I don't really know you, or many of the other current members as well as I'd like. As such, I'm very sorry if I've offended you. I will continue to enforce these guidelines, and I'll do my best not to just cut down someone else while I do. I do want to incense them a bit, but only enough for them to make a stand for their ideas and beliefs on the issue. Hey, if you have any questions, lay them on me! I'm always a PM away. Take care kitty.
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:13 pm

I think you are doing a good job Jizzon, I don't know if I am a minority thinking that but I do.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:21 pm

lolol epic
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Well thank you, I am indeed witty, well-tempered, and incredibly good looking (if you didn't say that last part, then I just assumed it was omitted by accident).

I would simply like to know however, how am I supposed to get people to build me grand and epic things if I cannot ask them to?!

But on a more serious note, pretty much every thread on every messageboard eventually (or not so eventually) drifts off-topic. It's the nature of all conversations.

Let's be honest, this board is kind of boring without random posts. Apparently I just make bad threads, because whenever I make a post that could even REMOTELY MAYBE POSSIBLY ALMOST considered to be for the dumb random thoughts thread, it gets locked. It happened like a year or a few months ago or something. I made a thread about something and Brandon locked it because it apparently it deserved to be in random thoughts. As if every single thing posted couldn't be considered a random thought.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel like only talking about DDR all day. I feel like making a thread about building funny things and taking a picture of it so everyone on the board can have something to contribute and have a good time looking at.

And seriously, did someone HONESTLY PM you asking for you to lock my thread? I don't really care that much, I just find it hard to believe.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:26 pm

riot sums my view up pretty much, sometimes things are just better with their own threads, and I really don't think it's hurting anybody.

if you think those are bad, god forbid you ever see a "hay guyz". I think they're up to hay Guyz vers 8.2 by now
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Jizzon wrote: who I know to be intelligent, well-tempered, and witty (like Potter and Riot).
just wanted to note that mods shouldn't have bias, and if they do, shouldn't be posting it but ok otherwise the rest of the post was fine

yeah you locked thier stuff but still posting it is kinda ehh

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 pm

1. what?

2. hes a mod on a ddr forum. not a president. hes known riot and I for probably whats going on 4 years now, I think hes entitled to say what he thinks of us no matter how it is or what title he has on a forum
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:36 pm

I R TRIBUNL

*bans self*
People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage others.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Potter wrote:1. what?

2. hes a mod on a ddr forum. not a president. hes known riot and I for probably whats going on 4 years now, I think hes entitled to say what he thinks of us no matter how it is or what title he has on a forum
oh he's entitled to it, just saying that people could use that against him (i wouldn't but yeah)

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:01 pm

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:02 pm

DRINKIN BLUNTSSS AND SMOKKIN FORTIESSSS I WON'T ANSWER SHIT GET THE FUCK OUTTA MAH WAYYYYYY

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:42 pm

God Of Rock wrote:DRINKIN BLUNTSSS AND SMOKKIN FORTIESSSS I WON'T ANSWER SHIT GET THE FUCK OUTTA MAH WAYYYYYY
smoke it
toke it
choke it
pass it back to ya
that buddah

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:15 pm

Due to the lack of stimulating and frequent discussions in the music game forums, I propose they all be conjoined in one big forum called "Music Games" and all other games be in "Other Games" cause really I hate having to scroll past like 8 forums just to get to "Conversation Cornucopia" because it's the only forum that gets frequent traffic. Well, besides brag board, but only the people who post on brag board care about brag board.

Jizzon

Post by Jizzon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:00 am

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:24 am

Jizzon wrote:This really goes out to most of you, so here's a "PM" I sent a moment ago (to BlackCat)...
(subject: "Hi, I'm Jon.")
Allright. Well I thought my new topic was funny at the time but after this it just seems lame :oops: I'd delete but I can't cuz it's locked!
Sorry Jon! :D
liquidblue aka DBV wrote:
BigBadOrc wrote:
dvb's rating for Effect wrote:finally someone non butthurt
YO DBV my butthurts man.. will you rub it for me???????
sure
fastest hands in the west (literally)

but yeah honestly, at this point, i realized that there is no point in debating here after thinking about it for a while, because while i may get some good debates every now and then, pretty quickly it just deteriorates into "let's all insult each other" or something.

Agree. I find arguing in general only puts people on the defensive and then they feel like they have to back up what they said at all cost. Brainstorming and relaxed discussion are more interesting and fun.
groovestats
<3 blackcat