R.I.P Hunter S Thompson

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

R.I.P Hunter S Thompson

Post by sam » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:37 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1996230

this is a sad day :( i would've posted this yesterday but i was too incoherant to make a worthwhile post.

this makes me sad because an icon from a generation past has died. far and far fewer advocates of recreational drug use are existing today and are getting replaced by propaganda and mostly lies to keep people off the "horrible substances." Once Albert Hoffman & Alexander Shulgin die, I don't know how much worthwhile "drug evolution" will be. (Hoffman invented LSD & Shulgin has produced countless hallucinogens under the books PIHKaL & TIHKaL (phenethylamines/tryptamines I Have Known and Loved.)

Anyawys, for those of you who don't know who Hunter S Thompson is, he was the guy in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. He invented Gonzo Journalism, which was basically do as many drugs as possible and then make a fictitious article to be published based off his trip. His reads were always fascenating and he was a very interesting person. I always wanted to meet him.
insert code compile execute return

SirPhobos
Standard
Standard

Post by SirPhobos » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:45 am

aw damnit. :( Well, he was kinda old... but shooting himself...? wow... Either way, it's sad news. He was such an ingenious journalist.
I got my propaganda, I got revisionism.
I got my violence in high-def ultra-realism.
All a part of this great nation.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 am

This man was a genius, and the only reason I've ever thought of putting pen to paper. Hunter just had a flare about him, a hint of irreverence (read: insanity) in a world of facts and dates. He was proof that great journalism isn't just knowledge of words and grammer, but of craziness, guts, and tenacity as well. I don't know a journalist, past or present, who would join the hells angels for two years for the sake of an interesting story. Hunter S. Thompson was that man.

This man was my hero. He will be missed.
Last edited by Ebola Gay on Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures sure are awesome.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:14 am

Ebola Gay wrote:This man was a genius, and the only reason I've ever thought of putting pen to paper. Hunter just had a flare about him, a hint of irreverence in a world of facts and dates. In an interview with Conen O'Brian he says "I made these shoes" To which Conen replies "No you didn't, they've got the nike swoosh on them!" "But it adds a certain panache".

He was proof that great journalism isn't just knowledge of words and grammer, but of craziness, guts, and tenacity as well. I don't know a journalist, past or present, who would join the hells angels for two years for the sake of an interesting story. Hunter S. Thompson was that man.

This man was my hero. He will be missed.
grammar? haha had to do it.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard

Post by Ebola Gay » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:19 am

CaseyDidder wrote:grammar? haha had to do it.
Oh man, hilarious! You cannot see it, but I'm holding my sides from laughter right now! I am on the verge of pissing myself I'm laughing so hard. Such wit! You sure got me! Oh Casey, you card!

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:46 am

Ebola Gay wrote:
CaseyDidder wrote:grammar? haha had to do it.
Oh man, hilarious! You cannot see it, but I'm holding my sides from laughter right now! I am on the verge of pissing myself I'm laughing so hard. Such wit! You sure got me! Oh Casey, you card!
tard would have been better for the intelligence you attempt to throw out :)

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard

Post by Ebola Gay » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:00 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:tard would have been better for the intelligence you attempt to throw out :)
At least my posts are easy to read, as opposed to yours. Your posts could be likened to a symphony of clanging pots and pans, extremely loud, annoying as hell, and any efforts to make sense of it all are doomed from the start.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:43 pm

As irrelevant as it may seem, my thoughts are:

lol.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:16 pm

Internet doesn't care about HST.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:36 pm

Terrible and tragic news. That guy was one of a kind.

I suppose this puts a damper on his plan to popularize the world's next great sport, Shotgun Golf.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:41 pm

Mmmmmm....shotguns.......

The only thing in the world that
could get me to play golf.....

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:37 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Internet doesn't care about HST.
you don't care.
insert code compile execute return

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:54 pm

Not to sound rude or anything about this guy's death. But I really don't see what the big deal is.

I don't know, I guess it's the same thing with Dale Earnheart. I just don't see what all the hoop-la is about. Sure it's sad... It's sad when pretty much anyone died. But even Dale Earnheart would think that people are taking his death way too far, and I'm thinking the same kinda thing is going on here.

I mean, no offence to the guy or anything. But is his death really that sad?

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:36 pm

HE FUCKING SHOT HIMSELF OF COURSE IT IS SAD

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:40 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:HE FUCKING SHOT HIMSELF OF COURSE IT IS SAD
I'm not debating that if it's sad or not! I tried to make it very clear that I thought it was sad too.

I was just asking what makes this guy so different from all those other celebrities that end up dying. I mean there have been LOTS of celebrities whove died, many of whom kill themselves too. But what makes him so special that people have to get all freaked up about it?