R.I.P Hunter S Thompson

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:29 pm

because rather than running around a stupid black oval for hours on end for drunk retarded hick's entertainment he did things and experienced things and wrote about them later that made people think in ways they had never thought of before. he was a major influence on journalism and pioneered an entirely new fashion of delivering & researching information.

i'm sorry but comparing someone who invented basically a form of art to someone who ran into a wall is a little bit stupid imo
insert code compile execute return

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:31 pm

I understand where you're coming from, Grubb, and it's not totally unfounded. I mean, it seems you have never read any of his stuff, or if you have, then you diden't like it. I know that if I was either of these, I'd feel the same as you. I feel the reason everybody's getting choked up is because he was different, he refused to conform to the standards that society has set up. That, and he was such a likable (not to mention eccentric) personality, It's hard for people not to like 'im.

That, and half the reason I'm sad is because of the way he died. I mean, it just came so sudden, ya know? And he was obviously in a deep, deep depression, deep enough that he felt the only way out was to kill himself. This sounds stupid, but I just felt he was on the same wavelength as myself. And to know that he was that unhappy... It just breaks my heart. He really was my hero. I feel like my heart's been ripped out of my chest and I never even met the guy. Over-emotional? Certainly. But it's the sad truth: My hero is dead by his own hand, and mankind has lost a great thinker and writer.
Signatures sure are awesome.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:31 pm

The loss of any life is saddening, and this man truly was
one of the greats.

He will be missed.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:15 am

From what I've heard of him, people either seem to love him, or hate him, and those that love him, seem to idolize him into an almost inhuman figure. I've never read any of his work, but I do mourn the passing of a fellow writer.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:11 pm

He shot himself... kinda hard to feel any sort of sorrow for someone's passing when it was their decision.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:24 pm

You wouldn't think that if it was someone you loved who took their own life. Believe me, you would feel sorrow.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:05 pm

Yes, but he took his life in a way that he knew his wife or son would be the one to find his body. I admire the man's work, but I feel much less sympathy for a man who would put his family through something like that.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:40 pm

You mean to tell me that anyone one this message board 'loved' him?

That I doubt.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:07 pm

no i didn't love him in the pants but i admired what he stood for.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:58 pm

xK1 wrote:Yes, but he took his life in a way that he knew his wife or son would be the one to find his body. I admire the man's work, but I feel much less sympathy for a man who would put his family through something like that.
I agree, but is there a method of suicide that would hurt his family less?
sam wrote:no i didn't love him in the pants but i admired what he stood for.
Seconded.
Signatures sure are awesome.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:08 pm

Ebola Gay wrote: I agree, but is there a method of suicide that would hurt his family less?
One that wouldn't leave his brains splattered all over the kitchen wall, with what is left of his body splayed out reeking of shit? I know regardless of the method it would still be traumatic for the family, which is part of the reason I feel sympathy for them and very little for him.

Suicide is possibly the most selfish and cowardly action someone can commit.

Just like Kurt Cobain, I'm sorry that the man is gone, and I still enjoy their work, but I think much less of the man for being so weak.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:27 am

A girl I cared very much for attempted suicide three times, and miraculously survived each time. she was not selfish, nor cowardly, and when faced with what she went through I'm not sure how well I would have held up either. Suicide may seem foolish, or selfish to you, but you'll never understand, not until you're there, on the brink of it.
For the record, this same girl is dead now. She died of cancer two years ago after turning her life around, and finally being happy. For those of you who've ever pondered on my hatred for God, there it is.

If you think suicide is cowardly, think of circumstances. Personally, I would rather die than live a lifetime of pain and anguish. True, you can try to turn your life around, but it doesn't always work. You have no idea what this man was going through inside, or why he killed himself, so I don't think you, or I, or anyone has the right to write off this act as cowardly or selfish.

sam
Heavy
Heavy

Post by sam » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:49 am

bull shit. suicide is a cowardly move no matter the person, grief, motif whatever.

in my life i've had 5 people commit suicide (not attempt, commit) based upon different reasons. One was my baby sitter when I was around 6, one was my friend's dad when I was around 9, one was when at Chicago I watched a woman jump infront of the train and another, people at South would know about this one; the teacher's son had commited suicide and my step brother's friend's dad just commited suicide a few years back.

On every single instance, the family was devistated. I know I have not been the same since I found my baby sitter. My friend is mentally retarded thanks to his dad from when we were little. The South teacher last I heard was arrested for a DUI. I was in his class the semester after his son had offed himself. He was not the same. His class sucked your soul out of you.

and if you think i'm being selfish thinking about the family, you have to realize to be a human you play a role in society. you will hurt others when you drop out of society.

edit: addendum.

I have been clinically depressed since I was 12, I've probably been depressed all my life. There have been a few moments in my life where I was close to killing myself. I was abused as a child and I also got addicted to drugs and hit "rock bottom" on them. So please don't try to tell me your life is tragic.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:11 am

I never said my life was tragic, nor do I believe it to be. However, I'm not going to say that someones death isn't sad, or tragic, simply because they brought it on themselves. What am I supposed to say..."They killed themselves, they're not worth my sympathy, despite the fact that I loved them while they were still alive."? If someone I love or idolize dies, I'm going to be sad, no matter what the nature of their death.