Religion...and the discussion of it

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:48 pm

LoveIsCaffeinated wrote:
& mexican ninja...i'm catholic too. way to go! and i have to say anyone who justifies that priest crap should not even call themselves catholic. most of us hate the priests who did that: it gives us a bad name, Catholisicm a bad name, and not even to mention the poor children hurt way too much by someone they were taught to trust. insanity.
Just to clear things up, I don't claim to be of any religon. I went to a Catholic school for 10 years, and that was enough to never make me want to step foot in a church again. Sorry for any confusion. You guys do have nice wafers and wine though.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:58 am

XxJennaxX wrote:
However, catholics are generally extremely arrogant and look down on everyone who isn't catholic.
So incredibly false.
It depends on the people in question. 90% of the catholics I know fall into the previous description. It doesn't help that I live in one of the most uptight religious cities in America. Fort Wayne, the city of churches....yech. The only good thing that comes from that is the nice architecture.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Original Sin wrote:
XxJennaxX wrote:
However, catholics are generally extremely arrogant and look down on everyone who isn't catholic.
So incredibly false.
It depends on the people in question. 90% of the catholics I know fall into the previous description. It doesn't help that I live in one of the most uptight religious cities in America. Fort Wayne, the city of churches....yech. The only good thing that comes from that is the nice architecture.
you are so close minded about anything that isn't you.

XxJennaxX
Standard
Standard

Post by XxJennaxX » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:10 pm

Your 90% statistic is so one-sided. I'm catholic, and it just irritates me that someone like you would say something so inaccurate about them. You're sitting there saying they're arrogant?? I don't believe they're the ones who made up the poor statistic or are bashing other religions.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:31 pm

As I said, this is just based on the catholics I've actually gotten to know, and most of them are rather close to me. A large number of them are in my own family.
They're extremely judgemental about other religions, and extremely conservative when it comes to people they deem 'different.' And for the record, they were the ones bashing the other religions that prompted that 'one sided' statistic of mine. And as I said, that statistic is only meant for the ones that I know personally. It has nothing to do with you, or any other member of that particular religious creed.

And Casey, I'm not closed minded. I like other religions, and so long as the practitioners don't try to hassle me about my own religous beliefs, I generally leave them alone. I'm not the one trying to pass laws about people different than me, I'm not the one voting to ban gay marriage, or any of that bullshit. I love variety, what I don't like is when people call me the devil and try to send me to counceling because I'm 'different.'

IceDraco
Light
Light

Post by IceDraco » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:06 pm

LoveIsCaffeinated wrote: i'm glad you're so good at attacking the beliefs of others, IceDraco. wouldn't it be better to build up some of your own instead? and maybe not put so much stock into a single book by a single man who thinks that he can undermine the faith of millions.
i believe that we dont need any building to go to in order to worship God/Christ because he lives within all Christians. And the bible says "wherever 2 or more a gatherd in My name there i am also."

I gather together with around 10 other Christians at least once a week and we talk about Christ and what he has been teaching us throughout the week, or however long it has been. We dont have our own little chruch building we just get together in eachothers homes.

And if this book is all BS like your sugjesting than there are tons of other books that say verry similar things, because he sites tons of books in the footnotes of his. you can find this book for around $15 at barnsandnoble.com if your interested and here is the site for you.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 5732&itm=5

One more thing, you shouldn't only worship God in your sunday services. Worship should be your whole life. there should be no end to you worshiping God. Paul wrote "to live is Christ, To die is gain" he was saying that your whole life should revolve around the worship of Christ.

im sorry if i come across as rude or mean sometimes. i just get carried away.

LoveIsCaffeinated
Standard
Standard

Post by LoveIsCaffeinated » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:08 pm

hey it's allright; like i said, i even piss myself off every once in a while.
One more thing, you shouldn't only worship God in your sunday services. Worship should be your whole life. there should be no end to you worshiping God. Paul wrote "to live is Christ, To die is gain" he was saying that your whole life should revolve around the worship of Christ.
yeah. we believe the exact same thing. 'nuff said.
i believe that we dont need any building to go to in order to worship God/Christ because he lives within all Christians. And the bible says "wherever 2 or more a gatherd in My name there i am also."
we don't need a building to worship; just to hold the large amounts of people who come. there's at least 100 every sunday--try fitting that many people into a house!

but seriously, on mission trips and retreats and stuff when it's just around 10-15 people, we celebrate the mass in the oddest places. so far my experiences are a GED classroom, a hunting lodge, a cafeteria, and a gym (with that one there were a lot more people tho).

we should seriously chill this out--i love getting in religious discussions, but i hate it when people get irritated and grate against each other. let's just feel the love here! ^_^