Religion...and the discussion of it

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:01 pm

so many nonbelievers playing DDR.

if you think we got here from evolving from a single cell organism, you're jus not thinking straight.

Fagulous
Standard
Standard

Post by Fagulous » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:so many nonbelievers playing DDR.

if you think we got here from evolving from a single cell organism, you're jus not thinking straight.
Well I have an excuse not to. :P

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:16 pm

If you think we got here by some omnipotent being crapping us out his ass, then you're just not thinking straight.

There, we're even. I believe it's a combinatin of the two anyway.

Catholicism is the oldest, more pure form of christianity in existence. All the other sects broke off from catholicism at one point or another, and changed the religion to their liking. That's why catholics have the most rules, regulations, and ceremonies. It's also why they have the most knowledge, history and ancient artifacts and information.
However, catholics are generally extremely arrogant and look down on everyone who isn't catholic. Personally, I don't believe in all the 'rules' of christianity either...accept god and jesus, and don't fuck your life up too bad, and you should be set.

BladeFist87
Standard
Standard

Post by BladeFist87 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:18 pm

Original Sin wrote: Personally, I don't believe in all the 'rules' of christianity either...accept god and jesus, and don't fuck your life up too bad, and you should be set.

Thus you believe and are good to go...you and I think a lot alike...have you happened to check out any lutheran churches? Mine tends to think along those same lines...

And the answer is: Yes, I did in fact, jack this idea from OrangeLounger. Booya.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:10 pm

I don't go to church, unless it's neutral ground, like budhist/shinto temples. I guess you could say it's against my religion to attend church, if that makes any sense.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:17 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:so many nonbelievers playing DDR.

That was the funniest thing I've ever read from you Casey.

S+

Ottop
Standard
Standard

Post by Ottop » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:19 pm

I am not going to make any assumptions about any higher being other than there is a begginning to everything.

I am not going to worship one person because some one says they are special.

I am not going to attend any church because they always try to sway my beleifs rather than just let me sit and take in knowledge.

I am not going to be stubborn.... oh wait, yes I am. =D

"If Christ were here today... there is one thing that he wouldn't be... and that is christian." - Mark Twain

PS) I will not reply to any posts directed towards my post, epsecially not a flame. Sorry if this has offended any one, but I do beleive I have a right to opinion. Thank you and have a great day! :>
I love everyone and all... but fuck off.

LoveIsCaffeinated
Standard
Standard

Post by LoveIsCaffeinated » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:01 pm

Original Sin wrote:Catholicism is the oldest, more pure form of christianity in existence. All the other sects broke off from catholicism at one point or another, and changed the religion to their liking. That's why catholics have the most rules, regulations, and ceremonies. It's also why they have the most knowledge, history and ancient artifacts and information.
However, catholics are generally extremely arrogant and look down on everyone who isn't catholic. Personally, I don't believe in all the 'rules' of christianity either...accept god and jesus, and don't fuck your life up too bad, and you should be set.
i'm catholic and i was reading this, all like, wow that's really nice...but then i got to the arrogant part. really, man, how many catholics have you met to come to that conclusion? the ones who go around, noise high, "hey, i'm CATHOLIC, that's better than you punk" or the ones who have the real, quiet kind of faith we're supposed to? christians, catholics...we're people too, and we're not perfect. but some people are so blinded by the mistakes we make that they can't see God. God isn't a hypocritical christian or a holier-than-thou preacher. he's God. he's love and he's so amazing we're all scrambling around to try to figure him out. it's never going to work. you can't figure God out: the only thing that works here is blind faith. we can't study and learn about God, we can't be 100% sure that he exists. faith is what it's all about: and if you can't find faith you're doomed to wonder and theorize forever and never know whether God was there or not. it takes a plunge. it's hard. but it's the only way to find meaning in life.

yeah, that wasn't all directed at you original sin. i just had'ta get that out...i'm the most opinionated person i know. i even piss myself off occasionally.

& mexican ninja...i'm catholic too. way to go! and i have to say anyone who justifies that priest crap should not even call themselves catholic. most of us hate the priests who did that: it gives us a bad name, Catholisicm a bad name, and not even to mention the poor children hurt way too much by someone they were taught to trust. insanity.

wow this post is one long rambling fit. i'm done. ^_^

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:24 am

Not all catholics are arrogant, however most of the christians who have fit that bill have been catholic. I've met a lot of them, my family is catholic, so I have first hand experience of it. My dad's side of the family in particular.
That's mostly true of older generations though, younger generations have seemed to be more accepting than those before them, so I'm by no means calling all catholics, or all christians, arrogant. But look at it this way, after a couple hundred "Your'e going to hell, because you're not like me!" sayings, you'd be a little bitter towards them too. I respect that other people have different beliefs than me, and I leave it at that, but as soon as they start condemning me for not being like them, that's it.

IceDraco
Light
Light

Post by IceDraco » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:15 pm

the most pure form of christanity?!?! lol your funny.

"Ancient Judiasm was centered on three elements: the temple, the priesthood, and the sacrifice. when Jesus came, He ended all three, fulfulling them in Himself. He is the Temple who embodies a new and living house made of living stones. He is the priest who has established a new priesthood and he is the perfect and finished sacrifice."

That is the earlyest form of Christanity, Judiasm, however! the people who still are involved in Judiasm missed the massiah that they were waiting for! He is Jesus Christ.

He is the ultimate sacrifice, He is the ONLY pastor, and He is the Temple.
He is the temple, so why do we make Mini temples all the time? The NT Christians didn't have big buildings, they had houses that they lived in. and when the people gathered they had Church together. "It can rightly be said that Christanity was the first nontemple based religion ever to emerge. In the minds of the early Christians, it is the people that constitue a sacred space, not the architechure." "Noware in the NT do we find the terms 'Church' (ekklesia), 'temple,' or 'house of God' used to refer to a building. To the ears of the first-century Christian, calling a building a chruch would be like calling a woman a skyscraper!"

Do you know why catholics think of the Chruch buildings as being a special place? It is because the original bildings were built over graveyards of early Christians.
And do you know why lots of catholic buildings have the crazy stained glass in the shape of a circle with bars comeing out of it? It is because the founder of the catholic faith was Constantine, and before he was a "Christian" he worshiped the Sun! So what he did is he had all the churches face east so that when people gathered in the evenings the light would shine in the back and on the preast. "Almost to his dieing day, Constantine 'still functioned as the high priest of paganism.' in fact, he retained the pagan title Pontifex Maximus, which means chief of the patan priests." And, other than the Bible, almost everything in the catholic church and in the sunday morning survice is PAGAN!

OH OH and did you know why the catholic church told people in England to eat fish at the end of a week? It's because fish was cheeper than other food so they would have more money to give to the Chruch when sunday roled around.

ALL OF THE STUFF I AM SAYING IS TRUE. if you take some time to look it up you can see for yourself. It may be hard to find sometimes because the catholic church dosn't want you to know.

I am not saying that there arn't good christians inside the catholic chruch, however i am saying that the catholic chruch's orginization is wrong.

All of the quotes i have in the little rant were taken from pagan christianity. And all of the mini quotes inside the main ones are sighted in that book. If you want to know where in this book all this stuff is just ask PM me and ill fill you in on all the details.

I am sorry that those of you who are Catholics have been missled for so long, :cry: but this stuff is the TRUTH.

LoveIsCaffeinated
Standard
Standard

Post by LoveIsCaffeinated » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:30 pm

IceDraco wrote: He is the ultimate sacrifice, He is the ONLY pastor, and He is the Temple.
He is the temple, so why do we make Mini temples all the time?...In the minds of the early Christians, it is the people that constitue a sacred space, not the architechure."
i could be wrong, but my understanding of Christ as the temple and the church space as a "temple" are that they are completely different things. yes, He is the Temple, and we are the Church within him. the catholic church teaches that in the catechism. but practically, where do you expect us to worship? we build churches so we have a common place to gather. do you expect us not to have "mini temples?" i respect your opinions fully and want to understand where you're coming from, but i see nothing contrary to what catholics believe already.
IceDraco wrote: And do you know why lots of catholic buildings have the crazy stained glass in the shape of a circle with bars comeing out of it? It is because the founder of the catholic faith was Constantine, and before he was a "Christian" he worshiped the Sun! So what he did is he had all the churches face east so that when people gathered in the evenings the light would shine in the back and on the preast.
um, i guess. we have stained glass, but in all of the churches i've been to i've never seen that design you're talking about. but we don't know where Constantine was spiritually. just as many christians today use music to help them pray, maybe he drew spiritual inspiration from the sunlight. my grandmother did; does that mean she's pagan? in reality the stained glass windows depict bible scenes, saints, and the stations of the cross because in the middle ages many were illiterate and couldn't read the bible.
IceDraco wrote: And, other than the Bible, almost everything in the catholic church and in the sunday morning survice is PAGAN!
of course, you know, it's so obvious. the way we bow and pray for the forgiveness of our sins, the way we hold hands as a community of Christ and pray to Our Father, the way we break bread as Jesus did the night before he was given up to death, the way we pray and read from the Bible and hear the Word of God. we're a community of PAGANS. i don't see the connection between similar practices of a people thousands of years dead and the living faith that we put into our practices. people leave their mark; you have your parents' last name. does that mean you are your father? his personality, his mistakes, his soul? no, you are yourself, though you have a history from your father.
IceDraco wrote: OH OH and did you know why the catholic church told people in England to eat fish at the end of a week? It's because fish was cheeper than other food so they would have more money to give to the Chruch when sunday roled around.
during lent, we fast and eat no meat on friday except for fish. in the earlier years, however, the no meat rule was for the entire 40 days. can you imagine a village, running steadily out of the autumn's harvest, growing weaker and weaker on old grain? they implemented the fish rule so the people could sacrifice meat without starving. but the fish-at-the-end-of-the-week is only during lent. wow. 4 weeks. huge conspiracy.
IceDraco wrote: ALL OF THE STUFF I AM SAYING IS TRUE. if you take some time to look it up you can see for yourself. It may be hard to find sometimes because the catholic church dosn't want you to know.
again, more huge conspiracies. who would've thought? i think its funny that the author of this book, "Pagan Christianity", Frank Viola, decides he knows more about the soul of the church than its faithful. a church's thousand-year-old traditions don't effect the souls of its people. Christ does. why this attack on the way we worship?

i'm glad you're so good at attacking the beliefs of others, IceDraco. wouldn't it be better to build up some of your own instead? and maybe not put so much stock into a single book by a single man who thinks that he can undermine the faith of millions.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:27 pm

When I said the oldest form of christianity, I meant the oldest modern form. And I'm well aware that most christian holidays, habits and practices are pagan, I've said that before myself.
Furthermore, Judaism isn't a form of christianity, it's a seperate religion entirely, because they do not believe that christ was the savior, blah blah and all that. What makes a religion christian, is the belief that christ was the savior. So, yeah, I'm aware judaism was here before catholicism, however, they were not christian.
Furthermore, Pagans aren't thousands of years dead. They never died out, we just keep a low profile. If you want instances of pagan influence on christianity, they're as small as elements of the service itself, right up to major holidays, namely christmas. I've explained that one already though.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:35 pm

Im Jewish, the race. seriously :o

XxJennaxX
Standard
Standard

Post by XxJennaxX » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:09 pm

However, catholics are generally extremely arrogant and look down on everyone who isn't catholic.
So incredibly false.

gasflame
Standard
Standard

Post by gasflame » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:24 pm

I think God is a goth. Have you ever thought about it? He always talks about blood, darkness, and fire (not saying there's anything wrong with thoes things). And he always wants sarcifices and what not. What a demanding person God is. That's why being catholic is fun...it's filled with darkness, blood and fire..lots and lots of fire...