Religion...and the discussion of it

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:39 pm

by that verse, i am a veryveryveryveryveryvery bad man :(

sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God

Looks like god hates me because I'm ugly :cry:
insert code compile execute return

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:04 pm

Sexual immorality = homosexuality

Homosexuality is sexually immoral according to the Bible.
Leviticus 18:22
"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Will not inherit the kingdom of God = Hell

If you're not an heir in the kingdom of God you're not going to heaven, if you're not going to heaven you're going to hell.

Or:

Revelation 21:8
"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practise magic arts, the idolaters and all liars— their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulphur. This is the second death"
Steve Fletcher

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Hmmm.....

I myself am an Atheist. Why, you may ask?
Because of the lack of proof and the lack of rational reasoning behind deities. This is also why I don't believe ghost stories, esp, and other such pheonomena.

I am a scientific thinker, in the way that I want proof. There is no proof of God's existence.

According to Christianity, there have been no new prophets since the death of JC and his apostles' eventual deaths. 2000 or so years. Discounting the Mormon's belief in Joseph Smith and maybe the Pope, there has been no physical voice of God for two millenia. Did God stop caring? Maybe he thought that he didn't need to spread his message any further. Then why did Joseph Smith and the Mormon prophets after that claim to hear messages from God?

Religions hold so many contradictions that it is near impossible for any of it to appear plausible. I see religion as two things, mainly...

1) People are in constant searches to find meaning to things, and religion/belief in the creation of a world by a higher power(diety/ies) seems to be the easiest and safest way for them to feel secure about the real lack of any sort of hard fact about the creation of this universe.

2) An ancient way of controlling people.

I could make a 30 paragraph post saying more of my beliefs, but if anyone wants me to clarify certain parts, I'd be happy to.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:47 pm

Organized religion is pretty much exactly what you summed up in those last two posts. First, it was used to explain, then it was used as control when people began to believe in it. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. A king rules by sheer power, and the people obey because they may be punished if they do not. But the church rules by religion, and religious officials can bend a followers will to do almost whatever they please.
But anyway, for those of you stating rules out of the bible, there's also a lot of complete nonsense in there as well, along with things we just don't practice.

I'm posting this link more out of humor. It was written to make fun of the president, but it has some humorous 'rules' from the bible as well.

http://www.expage.com/morebushisms

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:43 pm

built-to-spill wrote:Sexual immorality = homosexuality

Homosexuality is sexually immoral according to the Bible.
Leviticus 18:22
"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."
And Paul spent quite a bit of his letters discrediting him. ^_^ Each to their own, in my opinion.

Anywho, I usually don't get much into religion for fear of offending someone. If someone promises not to get miffed about what I say, I'd be more than happy to talk with them.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:46 pm

sam wrote:by that verse, i am a veryveryveryveryveryvery bad man :(

sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God

Looks like god hates me because I'm ugly :cry:
Hm...I only seem to fit two of these, one more than the other. The problem with one of them is that it truly isn't that bad of a thing, especially in the ancient times. The printed versions of the Bible, beginning with the King James version changed a couple things to target a specific group. But I won't get into that here. I don't like getting flamed.

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:51 pm

XDDDDDD

That is hilarious.

As for my own beliefs.... I'm pretty lost. It's not in the sense that one who is religious would think of it. I seriously don't know what to believe and so I'm just kind of apathetic. I was required to study Taoism and Confucianism for a class last semester, and I now detest those religions. I'll still go to my home town church I grew up going to, but it's only to see the people, and once in a while I'll sing. God has not shown his mercy or any type of communication to me, ever. So, uh, it's hard to respond to that. To me, my church serves as a social gathering place of kind friends. At least for the most part, they are open and accepting. I feel as if I could walk in there in all black and a lipring, and they'd all still hug me good morning. I wish I could believe in something, and I admire those who do.... I consider myself an open minded person. The main thing about any religion that bugs the crap out of me, is that people seem so inclined to judge others. But this is just my take from my experiences.

=P

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:36 am

Judgement is a problem in most religions, except a few. Buddhists, for one, seem to be very accepting of other peoples religious beliefs. Buddhists believe that in order for the world to be at peace, and in order to go to Nirvana, I belive it was, we must all be at peace. In essence, no one can go to heaven until we are all ready to go to heaven. And, in order to get to heaven, you must be at peace with yourself, with those around you, with the environment you live in, and every aspect of your life. Therefor, it would be harmful to oneself to harshly judge another, because it would anger and upset that person, causing a shift in the balance, which would make it impssible to be at peace.
Buddhism itself is very difficult to explain in words, but once you understand it, it makes perfect sense. It's not about having 10 million different clearly outlined rules, which only causes judgement and complications, but the rule I explained above is all you need. Live how you want, so long as it does not infringe on any other person around you, for in the end, it will only harm you.

I'm not buddhist or anything, but I did have an opportunity to talk to a buddhist priest in Japan, and it was a very enlightening, spiritual experience. There was a sense of complete serenity about him, as well as the temple, yet there was so much life. You could actually feel the spiritual energy. Major good vibes.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:55 am

That and they had a big screen TV in the temple.

Edit: I guess I dont really adhere to one sect or favor
one over another (But being inside the Vatican is pretty
bitchin) I have just adopted certain aspects of Christianity
into my own morals and conduct. Dang, now I wanna find
those pictures now, the architecture in that place is
staggering.

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

Post by built-to-spill » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:23 pm

The one thing that seems to be left out of "religion" is that God is not a heartless dictator. When you become a follower of God you love him and you're not forced to obey his rules you delight in obeying his rules because there is a personal relationship. And the same is true in many other religions with deities. You think that devout Muslums that journey to Mecca every year, are thinking, oh no I have to go to Mecca again? They will do anything to please Allah, because they love him.

I really need to stop reading these threads, nothing ever gets accomplished except everyone gets offended.
Steve Fletcher

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:09 pm

Ebola Gay wrote:
letshavetea wrote:I mean, he says that if you don't go to church every Sunday then you are going to hell. He says that if you work on Sunday, you are going to hell. He says if you are gay, you are going to hell. Shouldnt God love all his children, and not just the few who follows his every command?
I'm pretty sure the Bible doesn't say any of that. Next time somebody tells you that, ask 'em what passage says that. Sure, God may not LIKE any of that stuff, but they're by no means Hell-worthy.
i dont remember what verse or anything... but my History teacher read it off to us during class.. and he showed up how close all the mainstream religions are (muslim, jewdism, christianity)

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:41 am

Most religions have many things in common, however, they are usually all too busy bickering to realize it.
One thing that I realized recently, is that native american religious beliefs are quite similar to those of ancient celtic/druidic and pagan beliefs, despite the fact that these two cultures were completely isolated from each other, and developed separately. There are lots of instanses like this in religious history, and it's quite interesting.
No religion is completely right. However, no religion is wrong either. They all have some truth to them.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:31 am

Original Sin wrote:One thing that I realized recently, is that native american religious beliefs are quite similar to those of ancient celtic/druidic and pagan beliefs, despite the fact that these two cultures were completely isolated from each other, and developed separately. There are lots of instanses like this in religious history, and it's quite interesting.
Things like that fascinate me. One argument FOR religion is simply that religion itself is as old and universal as language or music. Although the details vary from place to place and time to time, the belief in some sort of higher power is nearly universal.

Of course, you could argue that religion stems simply from fear of death, which is of course universal also...

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:52 am

RELIGION!?

WE DON'T NEEEEEEEED ROME, TELLING US WHAT TO DO!

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:51 pm

My stance on religion is very mixed. I would love to be able to believe in a higher, loving power. But I have seen, and been through things that make that very hard for me.
i strongly agree
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-